The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, rushdewalt said:

After many hours of analysis paralysis researching exhaust systems I finally bought and installed a Akra Ti. So far I'm very happy with my choice. Nice quality piece and I'm really liking the much improved exhaust note.  Just the sound I was looking for, so the baffles are staying put for the time being. 

Nice choice... but then I'm biased towards the Akra-TI as well. Gotta love that exhaust growl... it gets better as the baffling breaks in.  But, with the baffle installed, it still doesn't get too loud. 👍

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

34 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Nice choice... but then I'm biased towards the Akra-TI as well. Gotta love that exhaust growl... it gets better as the baffling breaks in.  But, with the baffle installed, it still doesn't get too loud. 👍

Good to know. I was looking for more growl without it turning into a headache inducing drone during longer rides. The fact that it looks so much better on the bike than the stock pipe is a bonus. But those stickers had to go.😁

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, rushdewalt said:

Good to know. I was looking for more growl without it turning into a headache inducing drone during longer rides. The fact that it looks so much better on the bike than the stock pipe is a bonus. But those stickers had to go.😁

Yep stickers were removed before it was mounted.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:40 AM, alexlj92 said:

I washed the FZ this past weekend. But ended up riding the TTR to work today. Considering whether or not I want to keep the FZ. For now It is still in the garage. The new bike is just getting a little more attention.

Recent photo:

GPTempDownload.jpg

Aside from the bike, I really like that picture, that's a damn nice picture, bro!

Aside from the picture, everyone is different and if it were mine and I didn't HAVE TO get rid of the FZ I wouldn't. I would like each bike equally for different reasons. Personally, if I had to or decided to dump one or the other I would get rid of the TTR because it is so much like the FZ to begin with and get a more nostalgic bike like a Bonneville Street Twin or the Speed Twin. That's just me, I've always loved the looks of Bonneville's and twins with twin pipes. One on each side. Maybe you don't. GL, whatever you choose!

untitled5rfgy7.png

Beemer

I decided to switch out the OEM Battle Axe for some Metzler Road Tech 01. I found a local mom and pop shop and went there. The shop looked organized, staff ( 2 owners) an a couple of guys were very friendly and knowledgeable. They have been around for 15 years and have good Yelp reviews. I brought the bike in at 10:am. Guys came out and looked at the bike and wheeled it in. I couldn't see what they were doing other than they were working on the front tire first for over a half hour. I went next door to get some coffee. 25 minutes later the bike was done. Tires looked great. THE PROBLEM was that the left rear corner of the front Fender was broken. Missing a piece about 2 inches square. I pointed it out to  the  guys and they swore up and down they didn't do it.  The Bike is always covered when not in use and I uncovered it that morning and never saw any damage. I paid and left. I did call the principal owner that afternoon. His response was that his " guy" said he didn't break anything but would install the new fender for me for free once I received it. What are the odds the Fender broke while I was riding and didn't hit anything ???

Had a nice little ride to shed some stress. 

874D4352-DA28-4F55-B38C-AFD722D1C7AF.jpeg

• Like 3

Instagram: @jayparrington 

I installed wheel decals to sort of tone down the glowing yellow wheels. I installed a GIVI tank bag mount and the tank bag. Waxed and adjusted the chain. I have a Puig windscreen on the way. 

IMG-5381.jpg

I am building my MT-07 as a light, fast, day/weekend touring machine and some commuting since I have my Triumph 675R for sporty(er) riding. I am trying to decide if I want bar end mirros. I like being able to see behind me and for the intended role the stock mirrors may be better, but I have Triumph OEM bar end mirrors on my 675R and like those too. Undecided, whatever, if I do install bar end mirrors it will not be the cheapo eBay junk that falls off.

Edited by 3crows
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, 3crows said:

I am trying to decide if I want bar end mirros. I like being able to see behind me and for the intended role the stock mirrors may be better, but I have Triumph OEM bar end mirrors on my 675R and like those too. Undecided, whatever, if I do install bar end mirrors it will not be the cheapo eBay junk that falls off. 

Many of us were also unhappy with the stock mirrors and many have switched to bar-end mirrors. I've not heard anyone regret the decision. I could never adjust the stock mirrors to see everything I needed to see without way too many body gyrations. I Installed CRG Arrows on the stock bar and have zero complaints with them.  I highly recommend bar end mirrors.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I installed 'up and out' extenders so that I could see more behind me.  Cheap easy fix and effective, tho you still see a bit of yourself. There are Yamaha versions with the necessary left hand thread on one side.

Just do it! 

On 6/16/2019 at 9:50 AM, Beemer said:

Aside from the bike, I really like that picture, that's a damn nice picture, bro!

Aside from the picture, everyone is different and if it were mine and I didn't HAVE TO get rid of the FZ I wouldn't. I would like each bike equally for different reasons. Personally, if I had to or decided to dump one or the other I would get rid of the TTR because it is so much like the FZ to begin with and get a more nostalgic bike like a Bonneville Street Twin or the Speed Twin. That's just me, I've always loved the looks of Bonneville's and twins with twin pipes. One on each side. Maybe you don't. GL, whatever you choose!

untitled5rfgy7.png

That's fair. I would keep the FZ but the 3500 I would probably get for it could go to the 5500 outstanding on the TTR. I don't really want to get rid of it and the $3500 isn't enticing enough to not have it so I have both and will probably end up keeping both. The TTR is still new to me and I am really enjoying it so far. I may just begin to collect bikes rather than sell them!

The TTR has the pipes on both sides. I like the aggressive look. I eliminated the rear fender and blinkers. It looks really sleek now.

That photo was done with a vertical go-pro with ISO at the lowest possible and shutter speed at auto with a 32 stop ND filter on the front on a bright sunny day. It was the only way to get the blur I wanted.

Added a photo of each below! Still enjoying each!

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alexlj92 said:

That's fair. I would keep the FZ but the 3500 I would probably get for it could go to the 5500 outstanding on the TTR. I don't really want to get rid of it and the $3500 isn't enticing enough to not have it so I have both and will probably end up keeping both. The TTR is still new to me and I am really enjoying it so far. I may just begin to collect bikes rather than sell them!

The TTR has the pipes on both sides. I like the aggressive look. I eliminated the rear fender and blinkers. It looks really sleek now.

That photo was done with a vertical go-pro with ISO at the lowest possible and shutter speed at auto with a 32 stop ND filter on the front on a bright sunny day. It was the only way to get the blur I wanted.

Added a photo of each below! Still enjoying each!

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

You take some good pics and love that dual exhaust and set-up! The FZ is nice too!

• Like 1

Beemer

Bigturbomax
16 hours ago, tangodelta3 said:

Ordered a FlashTune bike side kit. Excited about this one. 

got mine in december and have been smiling ever since! 

tangodelta3
1 hour ago, Bigturbomax said:

got mine in december and have been smiling ever since! 

I have a DNA air filter installed but still on the stock exhaust. I am really looking at going with a Black Widow system but Power Commander does not have a map for that set up. I guess I will just try the different options and see which feels best.

• Premium Member
On 6/16/2019 at 11:22 PM, DewMan said:

Many of us were also unhappy with the stock mirrors and many have switched to bar-end mirrors. I've not heard anyone regret the decision. I could never adjust the stock mirrors to see everything I needed to see without way too many body gyrations. I Installed CRG Arrows on the stock bar and have zero complaints with them.  I highly recommend bar end mirrors.

All my bikes have had full or partial fairings, so I've never had issues with the mirrors. Most of them looked like they belonged and gave good coverage. The MT07... not so much. the stalks were ugly, the view was mostly my shoulders and I hated them. I went with the cheap amazon crg arrow imitations and i love them so far. Way better rear view coverage and they look like they belong on such a naked bike.  I did have to replace the pinch bolt because it stripped out immediately upon tightening down. It was cheap metal and too short so I got stainless and also got a longer bolt and nylock nut just in case.

So I'm a huge fan of Samurai Jack. I'm not generally a fan of stickers, but I thought this needed to happen:

cDTz9e3.jpg

hDmWsiI.jpg

Got my Puig Naked Bike Series windscreen installed, dark smoke. I think I like it, lol. Does look different. A quick spin proves it does push the wind up and seems to make the remaining buffeting less severe. 

IMG-5391.jpg

IMG-5397.jpg

IMG-5389.jpg

Edited by 3crows
Add photos

Took the bike out for a short ride to test the settings on the ValterMoto rearsets.  Love the new position as it "locks" me into the bike.  I feel much more planted when riding.  The rear brake lever was initially way too acute, so that was adjusted to bring my foot peg a bit lower and back (started high and tight).  The brake lever itself is great and allowed me to adjust the lever down to a much lower angle to relax the ankle position to closer to a 90 degree bend with a touch of clearance so that I don't ride the brake.  The shifting feels shorter and very smooth - reminds me of a quality pump action shotgun.  It's just a short solid buttery smooth chick-chick and go.  Overall initial impressions on ease of install, quality of parts, and operation is A+.  The 3.5 series which I purchased are likely best for track use, but I enjoy tinkering to find a "perfect" preference for all things, so these are great for me.  I'll be on light duty next week due to an out-patient procedure, so I'll try and get photos with a few "pointers / nitpicks" while "recovering" - no riding for a few weeks.

Cheers!

tangodelta3

Oil and filter change. Removed the rear foot pegs and relocated the rear brake reservoir using the reflector bracket from the front forks. Worked really well. Also lubed my chain. 

• Premium Member

Today I told my road bikes ( FJ-09 and the little HP-07) that dirt scooter is getting some love, scooter needs some carb work... they both gave me the silent treatment 😓... greedy little monsters 👀

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

I registered mine for another Track Day at NJMP next Sunday 06/30

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

Hmm...wondering if a headlight swap is in order...crummy cell phone pic of quick and dirty mockup.

Riiiight…. and just throw on a SuperTrapp exhaust on it to complete the effect? 😆

• Haha 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

2 hours ago, DewMan said:

Riiiight…. and just throw on a SuperTrapp exhaust on it to complete the effect? 😆

lol

Whut? No love for a DRZ cowl? 

• Like 1