The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Bigturbomax said:

I got "boob" status on the odemeter and changed the oil

*snerk* He said "boob" *snerk* 😆

Congrats man!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I finally 'washed' mine.  (Read: left outside in the rain while at work to find all the salt off of it.)  And booked an appointment at the shop to get the Leo Vince installed, install the steel-braided brake lines, and get the wheel straightened.

• Haha 1

Performed throttle body sync:52055263_tbsyncresize2.thumb.jpg.7c487ebb2d5bd7878e8485f9000d3e1a.jpg

Before:

1598124533_Throttlesyncbefore.thumb.jpg.a856da726ff254a8db06930c91c5e19e.jpg

After:

770164034_TBsyncafter.thumb.jpg.0827d8a313594a50d317075c98c6edb0.jpg

This is by far one of the easiest bikes to perform a throttle body/carb sync on. Love these naked bikes!

• Like 4

NRWhiteKnight

Actually did this yesterday...installed woodcraft rear sets. Install was pretty easy, but still not sure about the GP Shift set up. It doesn't quite feel right as sometimes it does not fully shift into either 6th and sometimes 2nd without releasing the clutch. I wonder if I need to move the arm closer to the lever by one spline on the shift shaft. Pics below. Next is to clean an lube the chain.

Woodcraft Rear Set - Left Side.jpg

Woodcraft Rear Set - Right Side.jpg

• Like 2

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

Bigturbomax
2 hours ago, NiteRyder said:

Performed throttle body sync:52055263_tbsyncresize2.thumb.jpg.7c487ebb2d5bd7878e8485f9000d3e1a.jpg

Before:

1598124533_Throttlesyncbefore.thumb.jpg.a856da726ff254a8db06930c91c5e19e.jpg

After:

770164034_TBsyncafter.thumb.jpg.0827d8a313594a50d317075c98c6edb0.jpg

This is by far one of the easiest bikes to perform a throttle body/carb sync on. Love these naked bikes!

Can you feel a difference in idle/accel quality? I still havent got around to balancing mine cuz its always ran pretty dang smooth

2 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Can you feel a difference in idle/accel quality? I still havent got around to balancing mine cuz its always ran pretty dang smooth

I couldn't tell much of a difference, then again the idle wasn't rough to begin with. I only checked the MT07 because I was curious and I just got adjusting my brother's SV650. The SV650 was noticeable due to both the TPS sensor and throttle sync was off. It's very easy to check/adjust if you have the proper tools(Manometer and angled flat-bit screwdriver).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NiteRyder said:

Performed throttle body sync:

*SNIP*

I don't even know what it is I'm looking at... can you explain?

@Blitz6804

The process of syncing the throttle bodies for fuel injected multi-cylinder bikes is to verify that all throttle plates(butterflies) are at the same position at idle. If the throttle plates are unbalanced with each other the bike will have a rough idle(most common symptom). If the throttle plates are really out of sync the bike will surge at any throttle position(rare but it can happen).

The actual adjustment we are making to the FZ/MT07 is to the 'bypass air screw', not the throttle valve.

The tool you see hanging from my handle bar is basically a manometer which reads the vacuum the throttle bodies produces when idling. If they are out of sync then you adjust the throttle body(s) via this tool. This procedure is the same for multi-cylinder bikes with carburetors.

Here is a video of the process in more detail.

Edited by NiteRyder
  • Like 2

Bigturbomax

LOOOONG overdue wash of all my vehicles. I dont clean em during the winter cuz theres no point, they all get used and they all get nasty haha

20190317_182440-1008x756.jpg

20190317_184319-1008x756.jpg

20190317_192125.jpg

• Like 3

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, NRWhiteKnight said:

I wonder if I need to move the arm closer to the lever by one spline on the shift shaft.

Woodcraft Rear Set - Left Side.jpg

Ideally it's recommended that the angle from the lever to rod be 90°. So yes, It looks like it could help to move the arm one spline or two if the angle is as It appears in the picture. Also make sure your shift lever is fully returning to neutral center position after shifting... a rod that's adjusted too long/short could be preventing that from happening.  

Good luck resolving your issue. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

NRWhiteKnight

Thanks @DewMan. That makes more sense. And since you stated it in that way, I pulled the instructions and I obliviously did not read it clear enough. The lever does appear to return to the neutral position so I do not think there is an issue with that, just the angle of the rod. 

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

babisstinson

Today I got my bike from the service shop (Wolf Racing in Athens), after winter "hibernation", ready for riding season 2019!
- Service 35.000 km with Motul 5100 oil
- New Renthal Low handlebar, black
Valter Moto Touring Hadlebar ends with adapters
- Renthal grips, hard 
- New spring in my K-Tech Razor Lite shock, service to the shock, along with upgraded Shim stacks of K-Tech
- Valter Moto Racing Rear Brake Oil Tank
- Factory OEM brake/clutch levers

• Like 1

I installed the mail-in flashed ECU (2WDW) and first ride with a new Corbin seat. It's sweeet! Also, three 1/4" holes in the muffler, no regrets. With the ECU flashed it's feasible to do clutchless upshifts which is cool.

Tomorrow is suspension day. I'm not gonna lie, I don't have any stands and I'm taking it to a nearby shop, the guy has a great reputation. This is my to do list:

done
1. 2WheelDynoWorks Flash (removed snorkel, OEM Exhaust)
2. Corbin gunfighter seat
3. Tank Panels (black)

suspension
1. k-tech razor-r lite shock
2. Cogent DDC damper cartridges + oil

next week may be handlebars, levers, mirrors

Edited by worker1
  • Like 1

njdevils1990

Installed this beauty (Akrapovic Titanium Racing exhaust)

rps20190320_225614.jpg

• Like 7

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

Dropped Miku off at the shop to install the new exhaust...

nQQ1Jvp.jpg

She looks so lonely :(

• Like 1

Got a new toy, a Cobrra Nemo 2 chain lubrication device :) 
I was searching for a good place to screw the thing to the motorcycle. Left side of the headlight cover seems ok, but I am not sure if it will stay there horizontally at all those mighty masters-of-torque g-forces  >:/   

IMG_20190319_201122.thumb.jpg.f6f5a8c6d7feaeb781379692f4e9d730.jpgIMG_20190319_201104.thumb.jpg.78fda98f0fe307e70d0ee2ff226141b1.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 7:11 PM, RojoRacing said:

Anyone interested in a mostly plug in play some disassembly and reassembly kit for converting your 2018 MT-07 to a top of the line Morimoto HID projector headlight system?  I only ask because it requires a custom mounting plate to replace the reflector lense because the bucket isn’t quite deep enough to fit the projector and it’s been a serious PITA to design and make. I’m almost there and thinking if enough people are interested in dropping around $250-300(mostly cost of the needed assembly parts) for some proper lights I could mock up the mounting plate to produce a dozen or so to sell to others. 

This is would have been easy with my old machine shop but if I want to make more I’ll have to search out a shop to cut me a bunch at once per my specs. 

22993ECF-D3BC-4216-B65C-6DE80B937C6A.thumb.jpeg.e2c17461fb4d462223d2b08196ebeef8.jpeg

If you have the means to make more, what would you charge for the mounting plate? Might be interested in buying one over the retrofit lab one, would be easier to just bolt one in that already works with a D2S projector then having to go through the trouble of modifying theirs. 

Picked Miku up from the shop today... now with steel-braided brake lines and the Leo Vince installed:

Right.thumb.jpg.8c75d8448fa1ebb99db173f61bc9e3ba.jpg

Also finally got around to cleaning and lubing the chain:

Chain.thumb.jpg.faeb0669f620eda4f09e531099d77368.jpg

I need a center stand... that was a pain in the neck!

• Premium Member
Littlebriar

Installed MWR air filter and cover. The cover is a 3D printed piece. It's very easy to break off the tabs. I broke one and had to epoxy it together. I suggest you loosen and move the tank out of the way so you can see what you're doing. Too cold to ride but looking forward to see what happens with the new filter and my Akra exhaust.

Also installed the Gilles chain adjuster.

Steve, 2017 Yamaha FZ-07, 2016 BMW 1200RT, 2019 Ducati Monster 1200s - Harbor Beach, Michigan

I went for a quick rip around town and 5 minutes in my check engine light came on. Idle was super rough and the bike cut off at 2 different stop lights. Code was sd13. Ordered a new air pressure sensor, hose looked and felt fine. Hoping to have it put back together before some friends come into town this weekend. 

Since I had to take so much off I went ahead and "cleaned" (aka wiped with a paper towel) my air filter. Is it possible to clean the stock air filter on the FZ?

I would think that with compressed air you could get some of the heavier surface gunk off and that might help a little but I don't think it would remove the tinier particles that are buried/trapped inside it …. but why not just buy a new one, they're so cheap? I think someone mentioned them being as low as $6 somewhere on this site.

Beemer

• Premium Member
Littlebriar
On 3/17/2019 at 7:41 PM, NiteRyder said:

@Blitz6804

The process of syncing the throttle bodies for fuel injected multi-cylinder bikes is to verify that all throttle plates(butterflies) are at the same position at idle. If the throttle plates are unbalanced with each other the bike will have a rough idle(most common symptom). If the throttle plates are really out of sync the bike will surge at any throttle position(rare but it can happen).

The actual adjustment we are making to the FZ/MT07 is to the 'bypass air screw', not the throttle valve.

The tool you see hanging from my handle bar is basically a manometer which reads the vacuum the throttle bodies produces when idling. If they are out of sync then you adjust the throttle body(s) via this tool. This procedure is the same for multi-cylinder bikes with carburetors.

I'm looking at the syncpro on the MotionPro website right now. Do you need any adapters for the FZ-07? Do you really need the screwdriver?

Steve, 2017 Yamaha FZ-07, 2016 BMW 1200RT, 2019 Ducati Monster 1200s - Harbor Beach, Michigan

26 minutes ago, Littlebriar said:

I'm looking at the syncpro on the MotionPro website right now. Do you need any adapters for the FZ-07? Do you really need the screwdriver?

The Motion Pro SyncPro comes with everything you need to sync the throttle bodies. The angled screwdriver makes adjusting the throttle body a lot easier considering its designed for this specific job. The adjustment screw for the secondary throttle body(right side if your sitting on bike) is in a tight location. With these two tools it's a 10 minute job without removal of any bodywork. 

I plan on posting a detailed How-To on syncing the throttle bodies in near future.

• Like 2

cleaned the gunk around the front sprocket, 10/10 for accessibility and easy access, together with removing chain guide "tip" from swingarm, the chain is finally SILENT. 

• Like 1