The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

• Premium Member

Just ordered a new OEM clutch kit for - get this - $45! Now I need a warm-ish day to put it on and write up a DIY !

• Like 2

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Anyone interested in a mostly plug in play some disassembly and reassembly kit for converting your 2018 MT-07 to a top of the line Morimoto HID projector headlight system?  I only ask because it requires a custom mounting plate to replace the reflector lense because the bucket isn’t quite deep enough to fit the projector and it’s been a serious PITA to design and make. I’m almost there and thinking if enough people are interested in dropping around $250-300(mostly cost of the needed assembly parts) for some proper lights I could mock up the mounting plate to produce a dozen or so to sell to others. 

This is would have been easy with my old machine shop but if I want to make more I’ll have to search out a shop to cut me a bunch at once per my specs. 

22993ECF-D3BC-4216-B65C-6DE80B937C6A.thumb.jpeg.e2c17461fb4d462223d2b08196ebeef8.jpeg

• Global Moderator
5 hours ago, RojoRacing said:

Anyone interested in a mostly plug in play some disassembly and reassembly kit for converting your 2018 MT-07 to a top of the line Morimoto HID projector headlight system?  I only ask because it requires a custom mounting plate to replace the reflector lense because the bucket isn’t quite deep enough to fit the projector and it’s been a serious PITA to design and make. I’m almost there and thinking if enough people are interested in dropping around $250-300(mostly cost of the needed assembly parts) for some proper lights I could mock up the mounting plate to produce a dozen or so to sell to others. 

This is would have been easy with my old machine shop but if I want to make more I’ll have to search out a shop to cut me a bunch at once per my specs. 

22993ECF-D3BC-4216-B65C-6DE80B937C6A.thumb.jpeg.e2c17461fb4d462223d2b08196ebeef8.jpeg

I would look at laser/waterjet if your looking for that 

If ya get dimensions I can model it up in CAD for ya

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

when I changed my running lights into blinkers some people questioned whether or not the amber would be distinguishable enough sitting so close to the large headlight reflector.  I thought is was fine as is but I’m happy to say it’s even more distinguishable with the much small and focused projector lens. 

So my HID projector project is complete and I’m happy it worked out because it’s a tight fit. DS2 style projectors are the go to option when you don’t want to compromise on brightness but they are on the large size for cars and bike with smaller headlight housings. Without modifying the position of the MT’s housing there is only 5mm of spare space between the front clear lense and the head tube of the main frame.  There is no room for close enough, the bracketing has to be perfect or it’ll hit one end or the other. 

Now I just need to find someone local with a stock bike so we can do some light output comparison pics against a wall.  I’m curious to see what kind of improvement over stock I’ve gained. 

https://youtu.be/Ot8iL-u3CVQ

Edited by RojoRacing

9 hours ago, RojoRacing said:

With a projector type headlight there doesn't seem to be a problem, they look nice! Good work!

Beemer

Damn I was hoping to be the first to retrofit the 2018 lol. Looks good! My plan was to purchase the first gen fz09 mounting plate from the retrofit lab for their retrofit kit, then have a buddy cut out a replica with the correct mounting holes for the d2s projector kit sold by TRS. 

Today I added some mirror extenders. I love the stock mirrors but had a hard time seeing behind me without leaning over or tucking in my shoulder 

I gotta say they work great.....better than I expected 

If interested,  I got these from Amazon for $15.00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KLOY6GI/ref=ppx_od_b_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61NYRAfx+nL._SL1200_.jpg

Edited by RIP
Spelling
  • Like 3

On 12/26/2018 at 1:28 PM, 208MT07 said:

Damn I was hoping to be the first to retrofit the 2018 lol. Looks good! My plan was to purchase the first gen fz09 mounting plate from the retrofit lab for their retrofit kit, then have a buddy cut out a replica with the correct mounting holes for the d2s projector kit sold by TRS. 

I tried contacting them about shipping me only the plate and mounting hardware for an 09 but they just blew me off.  If you've never done a retrofit before just know it takes a lot of time if you want to to come out right and last, if this ain't your first then you already know.  I estimate altogether over 2 days I spent 12 hours on the project which included two trips to the local hardware store. 

I have these too. Very effective. You have to make sure you buy the Yamaha version (for the reverse thread).

• Like 1

Just do it! 

Changed the spark plugs today. Two kilometres too early, but I can afford this luxury.  Next time I will need only half of the time, hehe.  Engine is running fine, next step is  to do the throttle body sync with an oil filled hose. At least I will try.

IMG_20181228_182301.thumb.jpg.1f1ef40fc10d5d936b8b266aae005025.jpg

• Like 3

A couple days shy of three months from first ordering it,  and Corbin has finally sent me my seat. It first showed up with a rip and the wrong pattern/materials used, and now two months later it shows up nicely patched. Yes, patched. Still the wrong pattern and materials used, but that's another story that drives me to cussing. I'll never look at Corbin for anything again. I guess they pouted over the repair so they sat on it for two months. Eff 'em. It was never a "warranty repair", it showed up damaged and wrongly made. 

But if you do want a Corbin seat I strongly recommend using Tom at biohazardcycles.com . He's a stand-up guy that bends over backwards to help, and he'll save you ~$100 on the seat. 

Or I might sell you mine so I don't have to look at the thing. lol. Very bad taste in my mouth after it all. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

A couple days shy of three months from first ordering it,  and Corbin has finally sent me my seat. It first showed up with a rip and the wrong pattern/materials used, and now two months later it shows up nicely patched. Yes, patched. Still the wrong pattern and materials used, but that's another story that drives me to cussing. I'll never look at Corbin for anything again. I guess they pouted over the repair so they sat on it for two months. Eff 'em. It was never a "warranty repair", it showed up damaged and wrongly made. 

But if you do want a Corbin seat I strongly recommend using Tom at biohazardcycles.com . He's a stand-up guy that bends over backwards to help, and he'll save you ~$100 on the seat. 

Or I might sell you mine so I don't have to look at the thing. lol. Very bad taste in my mouth after it all. 

Damn, I would have thought a company like Corbin would have made that right for you. I can see how that would piss ya off, I know I would be. JEEZ

37 minutes ago, fzar said:

Damn, I would have thought a company like Corbin would have made that right for you. I can see how that would piss ya off, I know I would be. JEEZ

Mistakes happen, so the tear didn't bother me at all( well, a little bit, but more on that later). They covered the return shipping and the seat was back in their hands within 2 days (Nov 1). Them sitting on the repair for a long time bothers me, but mostly because it kind of feels like an intentional jab after the correspondence we had concerning the repair. I don't want to bad mouth anyone online too bad, so I'll bite my tongue for now. Weighing my options, but I'll likely just sell this seat off or pay a local guy to put a functional seat cover on this thing.  I splurged for this thing due to two upcoming road trips out of State that I wanted to use it for, but they sat on the repair while I traveled several thousand miles over many States and wore out tires. lol

It's a very comfy design, but I worry about the construction. The tear was due to the material being stretched way too tight over a very sharp edge. That sharp edge shouldn't exist on a motorcycle seat, and they make no moves to protect the cover from it. (Our stock seats have a very nice rubber bumper under the cover in that area to prevent this- quality). Instead, they send a sticker with the seat telling you that it's very fragile in that area and to be careful not to touch or bump it on anything......lol .

PesRUzHm.jpg

1SMgJ8fm.jpg

Sturdy! 😂

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Mistakes happen, so the tear didn't bother me at all( well, a little bit, but more on that later). They covered the return shipping and the seat was back in their hands within 2 days (Nov 1). Them sitting on the repair for a long time bothers me, but mostly because it kind of feels like an intentional jab after the correspondence we had concerning the repair. I don't want to bad mouth anyone online too bad, so I'll bite my tongue for now. Weighing my options, but I'll likely just sell this seat off or pay a local guy to put a functional seat cover on this thing.  I splurged for this thing due to two upcoming road trips out of State that I wanted to use it for, but they sat on the repair while I traveled several thousand miles over many States and wore out tires. lol

It's a very comfy design, but I worry about the construction. The tear was due to the material being stretched way too tight over a very sharp edge. That sharp edge shouldn't exist on a motorcycle seat, and they make no moves to protect the cover from it. (Our stock seats have a very nice rubber bumper under the cover in that area to prevent this- quality). Instead, they send a sticker with the seat telling you that it's very fragile in that area and to be careful not to touch or bump it on anything......lol . 

Sturdy! 😂

Sorry to hear about your hassles. If I had your same issues I wouldn't be happy either.

I ordered my Corbin saddle just over a year ago in Dec of 2017 and had none of the issues you experienced. I ordered mine directly from the Corbin website and it also had to be built to my color and all leather material  specs also and it took a few weeks. ... not a few months. It was off season which most likely affected how long it took to build.

What time of year did you order yours?

It arrived well packaged in expandable foam shipping. I've been using it for the last year and it still looks brand new though it is garage kept

As far as the warning sticker, it sounds more like common sense of not abusing your saddle material by not standing it on end etc which would be best practice for any seat. The pan is made from thick metal not plastic. It has zero flex in it and I'm not sure anything short of a hammer or intentionally dropping it hard would damage it.

At this point I'm unsure if you received it back from repair and have you ridden with it yet?

Best of luck getting the issues resolved to your satisfaction.✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Swapped out the stock bars for a set of Emgo Daytona Touring bars (satin black).  They're *very* similar to the stock bars, just about ~ 1" higher, and 1" wider on each side.  I had the same set on my last bike, and really find them very comfortable.  Slapped on some bikemaster bar end weights, as obviously I couldn't use the stock weights (no threads on the aftermarket bars) and I'm really happy with it.  Not bad for maybe $30 in total.

Being 6'4" and really broad shouldered, the narrower stock bars where a bit cramped for me, and it made the mirrors largely useless.  Also ordered a pair of the mirror extenders linked above by @RIP which should get them from moderately useful now to fully useful!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Swapped out the stock bars for a set of Emgo Daytona Touring bars (satin black).  They're *very* similar to the stock bars, just about ~ 1" higher, and 1" wider on each side.  I had the same set on my last bike, and really find them very comfortable.  Slapped on some bikemaster bar end weights, as obviously I couldn't use the stock weights (no threads on the aftermarket bars) and I'm really happy with it.  Not bad for maybe $30 in total.

Being 6'4" and really broad shouldered, the narrower stock bars where a bit cramped for me, and it made the mirrors largely useless.  Also ordered a pair of the mirror extenders linked above by @RIP which should get them from moderately useful now to fully useful!  

Nice!

I got the juices flowing in both my FZ and me today. What better way to welcome a new year than taking a 106 mile ride on a brisk mid-50's January 1st day 😆

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 2:05 PM, DewMan said:

Sorry to hear about your hassles. If I had your same issues I wouldn't be happy either.

I ordered my Corbin saddle just over a year ago in Dec of 2017 and had none of the issues you experienced. I ordered mine directly from the Corbin website and it also had to be built to my color and all leather material  specs also and it took a few weeks. ... not a few months. It was off season which most likely affected how long it took to build.

What time of year did you order yours?

It arrived well packaged in expandable foam shipping. I've been using it for the last year and it still looks brand new though it is garage kept

As far as the warning sticker, it sounds more like common sense of not abusing your saddle material by not standing it on end etc which would be best practice for any seat. The pan is made from thick metal not plastic. It has zero flex in it and I'm not sure anything short of a hammer or intentionally dropping it hard would damage it.

At this point I'm unsure if you received it back from repair and have you ridden with it yet?

Best of luck getting the issues resolved to your satisfaction.✌️

Yes, I do have the seat now. It arrived the day I posted my whining lol. 

But whatever. I have a new bike with a custom seat. It's not like my life is all that horrible :D

Don't want to bellyache in this thread, but I'll pm you some details.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
10 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Do the stock cables work OK with these bars?

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Yes.  It's about the limit though.  No binding, strain or pulling, but I wouldn't want to go bigger.

I did have to "thread" the bar into the clutch side lever before bolting the bar down as it doesn't open all the way (single tightening bolt, and the cable isn't long enough to slide it on/off the end of the bar).

• Thanks 1

Brushed and cleaned headers as they were getting rusty. Repaired the dents and scratches on the exhaust cover too.

2018-11-04-14h57m35_crop.thumb.jpg.a07d29aea0f359fb86d1920a67685a0b.jpg

Then painted with heat resistant anti-rust and black paint.

2018-11-11-13h46m53.thumb.jpg.b70c57fc2b60603bc4bd378e669e9184.jpg

Turned out not bad.

• Like 7