The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

• Premium Member

Drove it through pouring rain cause this is obviously a thing in the Summer, in Georgia.

Nothing a Dremel can't fix :D 

Could you please go into more details as to what you have modified? Thanks!
I removed the plastic pieces and attached the radiator guard to the radiator with the stock allen head bolts.  

IMG_0036_2.jpg

and because my bike is sexy, I had to take a new side picture.  This is purely to brag. No technical blah blah needed.
IMG_0035_2.jpg

Post edited to hopefully make it more clear.  
:D

130e817b4381acc71b962e378d265331.jpgfront cowl installed new mirrors are on the way and next will be shorty levers and I need to upgrade the head light

Lusiphur, in your post are you saying we cannot instal both the yamaha radiator side guards and other 3rd party radiator (front) guards together? I was a little confused. Im interested in installing both together for maximum protection (and style)

Okay, well that's good, do they have the same standards in PA as they do in CA? Or are you from CA? Just out if curiousness, do you have any or have had any full systems that are against emission regulations? If so what are they? Would love to know! Thanks lusipher!

Lusiphur, in your post are you saying we cannot instal both the yamaha radiator side guards and other 3rd party radiator (front) guards together? I was a little confused. Im interested in installing both together for maximum protection (and style)
No, I am saying the opposite and I detailed how I did it. 
and I had previously posted the following pics

photo%202_2.jpg

photo%201_1.jpg

If people can't duplicate what I did, I am cool with that.  It ensures my FZ is unique.

Hee Hee
Thanks Howlinhoss.

I can see how my directions were a little confusing and updated them.
It's a little hard to understand until you buy both parts and can look at what needs to be cut off.

Okay, well that's good, do they have the same standards in PA as they do in CA? Or are you from CA? Just out if curiousness, do you have any or have had any full systems that are against emission regulations? If so what are they? Would love to know! Thanks lusipher!
No We don't have as many hippies

CA has Emission Nazis and that carb cert doesn't amount to a lot.

In PA,  as long as our vehicles pass the smog test, most shops don't care how it's modified.  
The crazy thing is, on the vehicles I've modified the exhaust, they have ended up with better scores on the emissions test which translates into better performance and at the same time better for the environment. 

I added my battery tender leads and ran them to the passenger seat. So when the time comes when I have to put the bike away for more than a few days I can keep the battery ready for the next ride.

Could you please go into more details as to what you have modified? Thanks!
I removed the plastic pieces and attached the radiator guard to the radiator with the stock allen head bolts.   
Normally this prevents you from installing the Yamaha Fender side guards as they are bolted on backwards to how the stock plastic pieces attach.  The directions have you flip the nutserts and the bolts go from the inside out. 

BUT THIS IS HOW I GOT AROUND THAT LIMITATION

The Front of the Yamaha Aluminum Radiator guards are shaped like half of an octagon, or like the top of a traditional house.  The inside part has tabs that you would normally use to attach it to the tabs on the radiator.  I used a dremel cut off the entire length of the side piece that has the 2 tabs.  I made the cut at the fold point.  I  then installed these with the single bolt that attaches to the fan holder.   I was going to possible zip tie the tops, but it turns out that one bolt pulls the Yamaha parts up super tight to the radiator guard and there is zero play.  

At some point, I might have to remove them and take a picture that would show this better. Unfortunately I threw away the part I cut off.

Rudanium

I've never had an issue with that with a car or motorcycle

Tonight I rotated my handlebars backwards.  I always felt like they were not installed at the correct angle.  After rotating them backwards, the turn signal indicator, horn button and the section with the hazards/on off switch are now rotated properly.  After viewing that, I am positive they were rotated too far forward.  These 2 parts attach to the handlebars with a piece that goes through a hole that is drilled into the bars  I then had to adjust the mirrors/levers and the thing that holds the throttle cable.
I did a quick side to side check and I have the same distance between the bar ends and tank as I do on my other motorcycle at full turn to turn.   It felt SOOOOOOOO much better on the test ride

For those wondering what I meant by using bolts instead of pushpins for my fender eliminator, Here is a pick
IMG_0036_2.jpg

and because my bike is sexy, I had to take a new side picture.  This is purely to brag. No technical blah blah needed.
IMG_0035_2.jpg

These are the most confusing directions in the world. When i get my FZ i'm just driving up to PA and i'm paying you to install my rad guards for me ^_^ 

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

Thanks! Once I receive those (can't believe it's almost a month since I've ordered the guard - long story!) it will become more clear.

Funny that the side covers you got have the FZ-07 label on them. It looks like ours are with the MT logo. Different part numbers too. Will see in a couple days when they arrive.

• Premium Member
Hey folks! Just have a question for those of you who are planning on installing an aftermarket exhaust on you FZ07. 
The exhaust systems all seem to not be "CARB" compliant, (I believe that is the name) and it is illegal to have these because they alter the emissions. Is this something that anybody has been pulled over for? How would they go about checking to see if you have a converter and 02 sensor or whatever it is that makes the stock exhaust okay.

This is my first bike so, I am curious if people in California who have had other bikes with full systems that do not meet "CARB" requirements have run into trouble because of this.

Thanks!!
I don't know about Cali, but down here cops don't care what your pipes look or sound like, unless it's god awful loud.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

I tell you what I did! My first wicked badass wheelie! Ok it was only like 2-3 inches(that's what she said!) But it felt super cool anyway haha

• Like 1

Normally this prevents you from installing the Yamaha Fender side guards as they are bolted on backwards to how the stock plastic pieces attach.  The directions have you flip the nutserts and the bolts go from the inside out. 

BUT THIS IS HOW I GOT AROUND THAT LIMITATION

The Front of the Yamaha Aluminum Radiator guards are shaped like half of an octagon, or like the top of a traditional house.  The inside part has tabs that you would normally use to attach it to the tabs on the radiator.  I used a dremel cut off the entire length of the side piece that has the 2 tabs.  I made the cut at the fold point.  I  then installed these with the single bolt that attaches to the fan holder.   I was going to possible zip tie the tops, but it turns out that one bolt pulls the Yamaha parts up super tight to the radiator guard and there is zero play.  

At some point, I might have to remove them and take a picture that would show this better. Unfortunately I threw away the part I cut off.

Rudanium

I've never had an issue with that with a car or motorcycle

Tonight I rotated my handlebars backwards.  I always felt like they were not installed at the correct angle.  After rotating them backwards, the turn signal indicator, horn button and the section with the hazards/on off switch are now rotated properly.  After viewing that, I am positive they were rotated too far forward.  These 2 parts attach to the handlebars with a piece that goes through a hole that is drilled into the bars  I then had to adjust the mirrors/levers and the thing that holds the throttle cable.
I did a quick side to side check and I have the same distance between the bar ends and tank as I do on my other motorcycle at full turn to turn.   It felt SOOOOOOOO much better on the test ride

For those wondering what I meant by using bolts instead of pushpins for my fender eliminator, Here is a pick
IMG_0036_2.jpg

IMG_0035_2.jpg

These are the most confusing directions in the world. When i get my FZ i'm just driving up to PA and i'm paying you to install my rad guards for me ^_^
If you drive here, I will gladly do the install.  

If you drive here, I will gladly do the install.  
Haha you have my word i'm riding up when she gets here, our bikes will be identical hehehe :P maybe even i'll be wearing a forum shirt so i'll be easy to spot :D I have a friend that commutes from York PA to my school in Towson Maryland everyday too haha 

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

The Nimble Pixie got her 600 mile/first service. I didn't do it myself, but I did hand the credit card over.  ;)

Illegitimi non carborundum

Installed my crg arrow bar end mirrors today and also installed the front cowl last night f0617f5f541a8b80dc3b4165af25ab31.jpg
Those are soo nice but $90 a pop... Ouch. I can't say I am not jealous. Oh the pocket pains of modding.

PS can you embed your photo so I can see your pic?

• Premium Member

I picked mine up today from yamz07!!

Now to wait for my right hand man to get back from his date and help me unload it!

• Like 1

Everything went braap.