The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

Fitted the Nitron shock. Some issues I noted:

1. It should be illegal to sell motorcycles without centre stands at least being an option. And it shouldn't drag during cornering.
2. The manual is useless for anything but tightening torque.
3. Fork stands are not suitable to properly support a motorcycle on its own.
4. I cannot wait until my shed is expanded.
5. The Nitron shock is superbly finished, but the new longer bottom shock bolt wasn't very elegant and the bracket that hold the reservoir had the holes drilled a mm too far apart and had to be filed before the passenger footpeg brakets could be mounted.

Never used a fork stand before, but quickly learned I had to support the bike beyond the stand and a jack under the swingarm pivot. So I sawed the top of a couple of planks to match the frame sliders. I used two on each side so that I could adjust them with clamps as I hoisted the bike. Not elegant, but sturdy.

Shed is crammed with bikes and crap.
IMAG1735.jpg

IMAG1733.jpg

Stock hugger removed to gain access to shock.
IMAG1736.jpg

Upper shock bolt looked horrible for a bike with 4500 miles that only saw water when it was washed.
IMAG1738.jpg

I also fitted a new hugger while I was at it. That left the inner mount on the swingarm open, so I made a rubber gasket to keep water out. Also had to make spacers to fit inside the rubber grommets as this not too cheap Chinese copy didn't have that. To get the correct OD I had to drill out spacers made for 5 mm bolts to accept the 6 mm. To cut them to the correct length, I fitted them to a 6 mm bolt, tightened them down with a nut, and used a normal pipe cutter along with a hex key to prevent the bolt with spacers from turning due to the drag.
IMAG1741.jpg

Hugger and shock in place.
IMAG1744.jpg

I also fitted the rear fender. That was a major task since the manual is of little use and I didn't remove it in the first place. Why anybody would go to so much trouble as it is to remove the fender is beyond me, especially since functionality is lost in the process. You need six tools to get all the friggin panels off - my old Virago usually only needed a 5 mm hex key to undo everything. Also struggled with the wiring since the PO had pulled everything plus cut the wires for the number plate light, which needed soldering.

Everything fitted.
20170525_214452.jpg

20170525_214421.jpg

Tomorrow it is time for the DDC valves in the fork.

• Like 6

Shed is crammed with bikes and crap.
Hey now, no need to malign the ZR7... Should you do this exercise again, get an A-frame ladder or engine hoist to hang the rear of the bike from. Brillo the bolt if you want and run some axle grease over the shank. Threads I would small dab of anti-seize and back the torque off at least 20 pct.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

martyinaustin
Went riding about 800km
Seattle and then Cache Creek

man, i gotta take my FZ (same color scheme) up to your area...that looks amazing and our bikes would look great together....

I installed the Vagabond Motorsports rear brake reservoir relocation kit. 
https://www.amazon.com/Vagabond-Motorsports-VM-Y702-Reservoir-Relocation/dp/B00PPQE1OA

I did this mainly because I wanted to take off the passenger pegs.  It relocates it to a nice and tidy spot, and the bike looks much better without the passenger pegs on it.
Have a pic of the bike without rear pegs? Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/352006819792?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

@ Jeff: It's basically a copy of Powerbronze. Looks good on pictures, but is actually white plastic that's been painted, which I found a bit naff since it's only a question of time before the paint starts to wear off. Paint is uniform, but there was a crack in it. Seller offered a partial refund, so no gripes with them - good service. Will see how it last - it may be better than I fear.

• Premium Member
https://www.amazon.com/Vagabond-Motorsports-VM-Y702-Reservoir-Relocation/dp/B00PPQE1OA

I did this mainly because I wanted to take off the passenger pegs.  It relocates it to a nice and tidy spot, and the bike looks much better without the passenger pegs on it.
umm Did you check the pictures in the Amazon link? :D 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On another note, I finished off the forks today. Only worry I have is that despite pumping the forks repeatedly, I only got about 360 ml in each, less than the 402 specified. And that was with an oil level set to 142 mm instead of the stock 162 mm. Cogent said to set the level at 150 mm, but didn't specify if that was with or without the DDC valves in place. I measured with them in. Anyway, fingers crossed that some oil still resided inside, not that I failed to get all the air out.

Also noticed that the oil in one leg was clean, the other wasn't nearly as clean. Neither smelled, though, which is good. That's with 4500 miles on the bike. The leg with the dirtier oil had more friction - ideally I should have stripped it and learned why, but couldn't be bothered since I am not qualified to know what to modify in the first place. Could be anything from a damper rod ever so slightly off centre to bushings too tight or imperfections in the bore.

I didn't reduce the length of the preload spacers, but despite the added half inch of preload, I could compressed the springs and fit the top nuts while holding the fork stanchion with the other hand - usually, I end up fitting the fork to the triple clamp in order to be able to exert enough force.

At the end, after aligning the fork through my secret process :D it seemed to operate very smoothly. Tomorrow will bring very nice weather and a long test run  8-)

Yes but I wanted to see his bike, that bother you? You feel what you said was worth saying did you? 

Not his, but mine sans rear pegs 
47_377825290_zpsbgejping.jpg

ssl image

Thanks, looks nice, front blinkers first and this second me thinks.  :) 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Yes but I wanted to see his bike, that bother you? You feel what you said was worth saying did you?
I wasn't trying to be rude Brokenhat. I thought I was being helpful. My apologies. 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I wasn't trying to be rude Brokenhat. I thought I was being helpful. My apologies.
No problem, that picture just sucked so wanted a real life pic.  :)
  • Like 1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/352006819792?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 
@ Jeff: It's basically a copy of Powerbronze. Looks good on pictures, but is actually white plastic that's been painted, which I found a bit naff since it's only a question of time before the paint starts to wear off. Paint is uniform, but there was a crack in it. Seller offered a partial refund, so no gripes with them - good service. Will see how it last - it may be better than I fear.

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, the seller doesn't ship to the US, so I'll have to look for another.

• Global Moderator

Waved goodbye for a few days....
At phoenix comi-con until sunday night
Come join me if youre in the phx area

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Installed a tiny windscreen and a runcam 3 mount....and wiped down the neon wheels!
I just watched a side by side comparison of the Hero Session 5 and the Runcam 3. The Runcam's video looked clean & sharp as though the lens were polarized where as the Session 5 video looked washed out and grainy. Suddenly, I hate my hero 3. The Runcam is on the list for my next video camera. Nice lil camera! I didn't catch it in the video, I kinda skipped through it but does it have the anti shake feature? 

Beemer

Installed a tiny windscreen and a runcam 3 mount....and wiped down the neon wheels!
I just watched a side by side comparison of the Hero Session 5 and the Runcam 3. The Runcam's video looked clean & sharp as though the lens were polarized where as the Session 5 video looked washed out and grainy. Suddenly, I hate my hero 3. The Runcam is on the list for my next video camera. Nice lil camera! I didn't catch it in the video, I kinda skipped through it but does it have the anti shake feature?
I originally bought the RunCam 3 for my FPV quad (but haven't flown much of anything since getting my first motorcycle).  

This is a good comparison of the session and the runcam

https://oscarliang.com/runcam-3-hd-camera/

I took it out for a test ride yesterday.  I need to turn off the auto orientation on the RunCam because it kept flipping the image randomly when I would hit a bump.  The video is a little shaky, but I think some of that is due to the mount I'm using.  The RunCam fits into all of the GoPro Session housing and mounts.  I'm using the waterproof case attaches to one of the curved mounting brackets.  The clip that sits in the bracket isn't completely tight...I can wiggle it by hand so I'm sure that's the source of some of the vibration.  I'm going to try using some double sided tape to get rid of some of the wiggle, and if that doesn't work, I may just mount it to my helmet.

Sorry for the late response and somebody already posted a pic, but here's mine with no pegs and relocated reservoir.

IMG_20170527_123017.jpg

Made my own 8 dollar radiator guard out of gutter guard and door trim. Lowes and autoZone
IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

• Like 2