The MT-07 Forum

Kawasaki Z-400 and others

firstyammerha

firstyammerha

Going down the list of 300-400 cc naked bikes out there. Rode a used 2018 KTM Duke 390 that had 1400 miles on it. To me it was pretty coarse with the engine vibrating strongly at idle but smoothing out with some rpm. Good brakes and suspension for this guy but not enough good points to place it on my next bike list. Then came the new 2019 CB300R neo café styled bike. Decent front brake and probably a good rear brake if my tester had been adjusted properly. The engine was smooth from idle on up but it seemed like it could use more power.The ride qualities were good and I could probably ride it as is for awhile before fiddling with the shocks and fork. So it doesn't win a spot on my list either. Lastly, the Z-400. Best of the lot IMO and it's causing me some serious consideration as to whether I should trade the FZ for one. Very smooth and strong engine with good brakes  and suspension. Like the Honda, I could probably ride it awhile before playing with the suspension. Tough decision to be made. 

I love the idea of the little Z400, but just hate the look. Kawasaki makes some really hideous bike (from my perspective) so I couldn't see myself ever buying one. I know looks aren't everything, but they are something.

2 hours ago, kylerhsm said:

Kawasaki makes some really hideous bike

My biggest problem with the Z400 is a byproduct of it's fugliness (cool word 😎), and that is that god awful hump at the back of the gas tank as well as the height of the tank.. Why the hell do they have a tank like that on a naked bike??? The FZ/MT-07's tank is nowhere near as pronounced as the Z400. If you are short of arm, and have any degree of a gut, it's a huge pain in the butt!

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, YZEtc said:

There's also the MT-03 coming out in February.

I was really excited at the release on the MT-03 coming out. I ordered one on October 3rd! It has everything I wanted in a small bike for the street. After looking at it almost daily for over a month, it had one thing that was a deal breaker.... It's kind of ugly, almost like it's not "finished" being built yet? I threw a leg over a 2019 R3, and the riding position wasn't anything like a typical sport bike. I ended up buying it. I figured I'm not gonna be going on any "all-day" rides on ANY small displacement bike. I'm pretty happy with it so far 😎

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I have a 17 Duke 390 & it has superior suspension to the 07, by alot.  In fact , everything about the Duke from a performance standpoint is great & I love the seating position--even more so than the 07.  The problem is it has all kinds of electrical bugs & quirks.  The fuel consumption is never right.  The clock WILL NOT keep time.  You have to reset the service at least every year--the service settings do not fully work.  It tells you it is illegal to turn ABS off & did not let me at first--maybe it does not let you in the first 600 miles.  If you are rolling at all when you turn the key off the headlight stays on forever even with the key removed--you have to check it before you walk off so you don't get a dead battery.  The dash will flat out go blank/black during a ride & stay that way until you cycle the key.  If the gear indicator gets confused it will say "ECU FAILURE" & will not start until you figit with the shifter & ignition key in some yet unknown sequence.  Maybe its me, but sometimes the gear shifter seems to go limp or get stuck in some false neutral.  And the general build quality & finish of the India made Duke is no where near the Japan made 07.  There are rough & thin spots in the frame paint.  If you wipe off the orange rims your rag will also be orange.  If I had to keep one it would be the 07 even though I like the suspension & riding position of the Duke more.  I personally think the Duke is ugly--07 looks much better.

One more thing--the 07 is the easiest bike oil change I have done.  The Duke is a ridiculous multiple drain plugs, screens, & no spin on filter affair.

Edited by wrxer
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Consider the bikes in the Honda 500 twin platform. It is a gem of a motor. The CB500X model has a decent sized fuel tank ( unlike the 07, and gets even better fuel economy, which is amazing).

Like the 07, the motors are tuned towards torque at lower revs, rather than hi rpm HP which makes tham very pleasant to ride. I have both and ( with very upgraded suspension on both) these are probably the last bikes I will buy ( I am 66). I would like the new Tenere T7 but out of my price range nowdays.

I would be happy to tour across Australia on the CB500x and the 2019 model is a genuine improvement on my model for that.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...
firstyammerha

WRXER, what's your Duke's engine like at idle? My testers engine  moved around like a washing machine grossly out of balance. And gregjet, I had a 2014 CB500F for awhile and I really liked that bike. Now if Honda could do a Neo Café version and lose 50lbs. I'd be awfully tempted to go back to one. But, it's hard to beat the weight and power of the FZ07 right now.

21 hours ago, firstyammerha said:

WRXER, what's your Duke's engine like at idle? My testers engine  moved around like a washing machine grossly out of balance. And gregjet, I had a 2014 CB500F for awhile and I really liked that bike. Now if Honda could do a Neo Café version and lose 50lbs. I'd be awfully tempted to go back to one. But, it's hard to beat the weight and power of the FZ07 right now.

My dream bike too. I bloody love the CB300R and CB650R, but in Australia the CB650R is restricted so really doesn't make any sense. The CB300R would be a bit gutless. Now a CB500R, that I would buy in a second. They managed to shave quite a lot of weight from teh CB300F to CB300R so a CB500R that came in under the weight of an MT07 would make me consider a trade.

• 3 weeks later...
firstyammerha

looking at the dyno graphs for the stock Fz, I'm running around town at 400cc power(35 h.p. and 4000 RPM) but at half the rpm's. I guess I'll keep my FZ for now. But if Honda makes a major overhaul of the CB500, I'll probably jump ship.