The MT-07 Forum

Serious kickstand question. How many of you...

yamahazaki

Have busted your right shin from the kickstand swinging closed?

I swear, I own 3 bikes, and the FZ07 has done this on at least 4 occasions.  Doesn't matter if I am wearing motorcycle pants, not only does it make a huge bruise, it causes bleeding.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, it happens when I roll the bike around various ways in the garage or driveway with the kickstand down (I know, I should stop doing that) and it scrapes the ground enough to cause it to swing back up right onto my shin.

7 minutes ago, yamahazaki said:

Have busted your right shin from the kickstand swinging closed?

I swear, I own 3 bikes, and the FZ07 has done this on at least 4 occasions.  Doesn't matter if I am wearing motorcycle pants, not only does it make a huge bruise, it causes bleeding.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, it happens when I roll the bike around various ways in the garage or driveway with the kickstand down (I know, I should stop doing that) and it scrapes the ground enough to cause it to swing back up right onto my shin.

I think you stated the solution above 😛

I am fortunate to not have done this because it has to be very painful. 

This has never happened to me. 

I own an old two stroke 250ccm MZ, the kickstarter in cooperation with the rear foot peg kicked both of my ankles blue, green and bloody. But the Yamaha was always nice. 

Edited by ElGonzales
typo

• Premium Member

Never had the kickstand bite me. But the pegs have gotten me several times.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Hmmm.  I think it is unique to me then.  I'll admit it happens under circumstances.

I have 3 bikes parked in my garage, I have a split garage with 2 separate doors and they are just past one garage door.  You can just about park 3 bikes in one garage door width on what shelves or such you have on either side, chances are it won't be comfortably parked (fairly tight).  What happens is if I park one or two bikes wrong, I won't have the proper space for the 3rd.  This is where the bike moving comes in.  You see I work with a space just wide enough for a bike and have to move and cajole it enough to repark it.  This warrants that I keep the kickstand down while I do this because I do not have free moving space not to mention my pants usually gets caught on other bike bits which might trip me up and quite possibly stumble which is why I also keep the stand down just in case.  Its just the fz07 kickstand always swings back on the slightest ground nudge thus my shin damage.  Yeah, the other 2 bikes don't do that even if it scrapes the ground.

I stopped doing that myself and learned to just take the time to throw a leg over and sit on the bike with it in neutral and push. No more kickstand worries. 

• Like 2

Beemer

Like Beemer I like to sit on the bike while moving it. Started doing that after I dropped my beloved Bandit 1200 in my garage (cost me a mirror).

Edited by bugeyes
  • Like 1

I always sit on it and paddle around. Last time I stood  by it, I finished up underneath it (not MT)! 'Get out of this!', I thought (I did)

• Like 1

Just do it! 

• Premium Member

Back when I worked in a shop we'd push them around by standing in front and grabbing the bars and back them up to where they needed moved.  Felt strange at first but quickly became my preferred method. These days I just just get on it and paddle around as others have said.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Unfortunately I'm a short dude, its incredibly difficult to move the bike while sitting on it. 😕