The MT-07 Forum

Anyone running the Puig 7074N Crash Pads?

klx678

Curious if anyone is running these  in place of the usual sliders.   Opinions on possible function and a bit on the look on the bike.  What say you?

61ZYeMFpCJL.jpg

• Premium Member

Seems like a really odd location to me? The frame/motor mount is much more secure/rigid. I would think the metal tabs would bend without much effort-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Not sure the metal thickness, have to check.   Not planning to throw the bike down the road, mostly tip over concern.  Hoping someone has used them.

• Global Moderator

Most tend to go with either OES, OR WOODCRAFT frame sliders for damage protection

Case savers by woodcraft, yoshimura, or even Yamaha are available

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

16 hours ago, klx678 said:

Curious if anyone is running these  in place of the usual sliders.   Opinions on possible function and a bit on the look on the bike.  What say you?

61ZYeMFpCJL.jpg

Can't tell by this picture, and I can't remember offhand if there's even room, but I wonder if there isn't a tube running behind the radiator that connects one crash pad to the other. That would be pretty effective and also explain the forward offset from the engine mount, but if it's just a single tab held by that bolt then I think it's a bad idea. 

If they used very thick metal in the tab to resist bending, that's fine, but then you'll just bend the bolt. If you try to run a hardened bolt to resist bending then you're looking at the possibility of snapping the bolt. Either a bent or snapped off bolt in that location could be a nasty repair. Especially if the bent bolt situation leveraged against the mounting lug and popped it off the engine case. 

I'd have to see better pics of the whole system before pulling the trigger on that one, otherwise, I think it looks very clean. 

Edited by shinyribs

I stumbled onto a crazy deal on a set and  just wondered if anyone has used them and what they thought of them.

Plates are about 1/4"/6mm thick steel, uses an engine mount at the front replacing the short bolt with a long replacement allen bolt and a steel spacer.  Large replaceable slider. Serious heavy duty.  Same mount place as Graves Diamond Frame Sliders, SW Moto Tech, and about every other set I've seen so far, front engine mount bolt.

I do not believe they are actually intended as sliders per se, but rather as a lighter duty guard against damage from tip over, but as heavy as the metal is, it could take a shot.  I'm looking at them from that stand point more than sliding out on a track day or something.   

Edited by klx678

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, klx678 said:

I stumbled onto a crazy deal on a set and  just wondered if anyone has used them and what they thought of them.

Plates are about 1/4"/6mm thick steel, uses an engine mount at the front replacing the short bolt with a long replacement allen bolt and a steel spacer.  Large replaceable slider. Serious heavy duty.  Same mount place as Graves Diamond Frame Sliders, SW Moto Tech, and about every other set I've seen so far, front engine mount bolt.

I do not believe they are actually intended as sliders per se, but rather as a lighter duty guard against damage from tip over, but as heavy as the metal is, it could take a shot.  I'm looking at them from that stand point more than sliding out on a track day or something.   

I would think they would be fine for that 😎. I have full crash protection on my track bike. Never needed them, but I view it like a fire extinguisher.... When you need it, you REALLY need it. I'd say, pull-the-trigger 😀-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

3 hours ago, cornerslider said:

I would think they would be fine for that 😎. I have full crash protection on my track bike. Never needed them, but I view it like a fire extinguisher.... When you need it, you REALLY need it. I'd say, pull-the-trigger 😀-

Trigger was pulled, I have no idea why, but they were $22.75!   I figured I'd take the chance and see what the deal was.  It was the real deal, full set, not just replacement pads or the like, which they offer... 

When I went back after receiving them (free shipping, Amazon prime) I figured see if I could re-order at that price again.  The reorder price was $178.  No idea why or how.  full set new in package $22.75.  👍

I don't plan on racing and, of course I don't plan on using them.  Haven't fallen on pavement since around 1978, but have tipped over... and as you said, better to have it if you need it than wish you had gotten them. 

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by klx678
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Can't tell by this picture, and I can't remember offhand if there's even room, but I wonder if there isn't a tube running behind the radiator that connects one crash pad to the other. That would be pretty effective and also explain the forward offset from the engine mount, but if it's just a single tab held by that bolt then I think it's a bad idea. 

If they used very thick metal in the tab to resist bending, that's fine, but then you'll just bend the bolt. If you try to run a hardened bolt to resist bending then you're looking at the possibility of snapping the bolt. Either a bent or snapped off bolt in that location could be a nasty repair. Especially if the bent bolt situation leveraged against the mounting lug and popped it off the engine case. 

I'd have to see better pics of the whole system before pulling the trigger on that one, otherwise, I think it looks very clean. 

Thanks for the comments.

Like your avitar, should be on a helmet or the bike.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, klx678 said:

Thanks for the comments.

Like your avitar, should be on a helmet or the bike.

The avatar is pics of the patches I bought. One for one of my riding jackets and for my backpack. Here's the shop if you want one for yourself!