The MT-07 Forum

Time to dig out the cold weather gear.

andistyr

Guess it is time to finally dig out the cold weather rider gear and see how the ride is on the fz-07. Zip in my liner in to my leather jacket. Hooking up and making sure my heated gloves are working.

High today here is 76F. We have freeze warnings and hard freeze watches out for tonight with a low hitting 29F. Rest of the week highs in the 30's and 40's.

This past weekend I checked out how well the FZ rode using my heated liner inside my Kilimanjaro jacket. All is well, so year rounding as long as the roads are clear of black ice or snow.

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png

Came home yesterday and fitted my Elephant's ears, not cool looking
restrict your movement and dam right awkward to use, but you never get
cold or wet hands.

So you guys are connecting heated gear to the bike's battery? Does it have enough juice?
It isn't that battery that would lack for power, it's the alternator that would be of concern.  I believe the spec says it's good for delivering 400 watts and my heated liner onlydraws 77 watts (6 amps) at a cold start.  When running at a comfortable temperature I'm sure it's much less.  My gloves draw 22 watts and are seldom run more than a 1/4 on, if at all.  I use the same cable that the Battery tender uses only with a 15 amp fuse in the circuit.  The high amp fuse is used because a cold turn on can draw a bit of excess current.    Anyway, there is plenty of juice being provided to run all the bike functions and the heated gear and still keep the battery charged.

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png

TwistedTorque
So you guys are connecting heated gear to the bike's battery? Does it have enough juice?
wabill is right, its the alternator I would be more worried about. I am thinking of wiring up a voltmeter to see how the bike handles.

Right now I have heated gloves and a heated vest. I don't crack them up full but so far so good. I think the bike has enough juice to handle this. One more thing would probably push it over the edge.

Came home yesterday and fitted my Elephant's ears, not cool looking restrict your movement and dam right awkward to use, but you never get
cold or wet hands.

Can you get a picture? I love those things, but again, I am on the very practical side of things 8-) 

• Premium Member

I bought these winter gloves for $35 shipped.

They fit well and are quite warm. I'll report back after I ride tomorrow. If they last 1 winter, I'm fine with that.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/gloves/first_gear/2011_explorer_motorcycle_gloves.html

Everything went braap.

Archived