The MT-07 Forum

Can’t disconnect my 02 sensor

msb06c

Pretty ridiculous problem but I’m in the middle of removing my 2018 stock exhaust and I’m having a problem disconnecting the O2 sensor. It seems pretty straightforward- push in the clip and pull the connection apart... am I missing something? I can’t get it apart lol 

2 minutes ago, msb06c said:

Pretty ridiculous problem but I’m in the middle of removing my 2018 stock exhaust and I’m having a problem disconnecting the O2 sensor. It seems pretty straightforward- push in the clip and pull the connection apart... am I missing something? I can’t get it apart lol 

That pretty much sums it up. Step away for 5 minutes and try again. Usually works for me. 

Push connector together tight and while holding together push tab as far u can then pull apart. 

Sometimes you can't push tab far enough with your finger so if above doesn't work use a small tool to push tab all the way. 

Don't get crazy and break something! or you will be kicking yourself a thousand times over! (ive been there)

6 minutes ago, geophb said:

Push connector together tight and while holding together push tab as far u can then pull apart. 

Sometimes you can't push tab far enough with your finger so if above doesn't work use a small tool to push tab all the way. 

Don't get crazy and break something! or you will be kicking yourself a thousand times over! (ive been there)

Yah maybe I’m not getting it good enough with my fingers. I’ll try a screwdriver or something. I already had to go to the hardware store bc I’m having trouble reaching the exhaust hanger lol. Not off to a great start. Thanks for the help 

Take your time and give yourself some breaks. If you get stuck on something really badly take a pic or 2 and post it up here. You will get er done!

Can’t believe I can’t get this f@#kin thing unclipped. Ridiculous. I’m not totally clear on which side (top or bottom) to push in, but I’ve tried both (top seems to make more sense) wiggling, pushing/pulling... going crazy here. 

gGh90oGh.jpg

Post with 1 views. O2 sensor

• Premium Member

From the picture, I’m certain that you need to push the bottom tab inward (see arrow) and pull the lower plug section down. You may want to push the two halves of the plugs together first to remove any tension on the locking tabs.

EdF0DE588C-799D-4BCD-AA8D-53715FCBFFFD.jpeg.22dea3081648583f0abcbda285892406.jpeg

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member

@Evill_Ed is correct.  I had a hassle getting mine apart also.use your fingertips to sqeeze in after pushing together  as he said. if you can't get your fingertips to get the job done then try a pair of needle-nose pliers or similar to push in on the release tabs.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I use a little flat head used for eyeglasses to press on the tabs. I find myself using quite a bit. The others gave you good advice.  

• Premium Member

Nope, I just did it on mine. You need to lift the tab on the bottom and then unplug. I made a video clip  

Ed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Lol it can be done with one hand 🙄

Ed Thank you!!! Huge help I can’t wait to get this thing on in the morning!! 

now if I can figure out how to get the snorkel out of the airbox I’ll be perfect! Haha 

• Like 1

If you just lift the fuel tank up a little it will pull right out. Not any harder than disconnecting the O2 sensor 😂. Sorry but you have to laugh in order to stay sane

• Haha 2

I’m really not meant to work on my own bike, sadly. My zero experience turning a wrench is really shining through here.

I do enjoy it though, and I do want to learn. you guys should absolutely feel free to laugh at my cluelessness.  I really appreciate all the help and apologize for being so basic. If it’s somewhat entertaining, that’s about all I can contribute here, besides very dumb problems, of course. 

I tried yanking the snorkel out with no luck. I didn’t lift the tank but I did notice the little side tabs. I’m way more focused on getting the exhaust on first thing in the AM but will give it another shot tomorrow sometime. Cheers. 

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, msb06c said:

I’m really not meant to work on my own bike, sadly. My zero experience turning a wrench is really shining through here.

I do enjoy it though, and I do want to learn. you guys should absolutely feel free to laugh at my cluelessness.  I really appreciate all the help and apologize for being so basic. If it’s somewhat entertaining, that’s about all I can contribute here, besides very dumb problems, of course. 

I tried yanking the snorkel out with no luck. I didn’t lift the tank but I did notice the little side tabs. I’m way more focused on getting the exhaust on first thing in the AM but will give it another shot tomorrow sometime. Cheers. 

I've been wrenching on bikes for many decades. I really hate the electrical connectors on most bikes. I have broken many, trying to push/pull the wrong end of the connectors??? You are not alone on this one-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

38 minutes ago, msb06c said:

I am like you and used to always have the “shop” do the work. With this bike something changed for me and I started doing things on my own and figuring it out and asking lots of stupid questions. I always feared starting something and having to take a disassembled bike to the shop because I couldn’t do it. Now that would be embarrassing!

I have done everything (and that list is too long) this time by myself for the most part. I have had to have a friend come show me a few things especially when I did the forks. 

My next project is replacing the clutch, brake lines and front pads along with flushing the brake fluid. I do suggest picking up a service manual if you are going to be your own mechanic. 

I have actually enjoyed doing all these things (very long list if you check my mods post) and find it a lot more satisfying and I keep some money in my pocket so I can spend it on another mod. It helps me to know how things work and why. This forum is a godsend as well as there is a wealth of knowledge!

• Like 1

Yeah it’s super rewarding and nice to know that things are done correctly, assuming I can actually get the job done correctly, that is. 

part of me is thinking about doing an epic year long trip on the bike around the americas, depending on how good my Spanish gets. I’m going to need to get very familiar with the bike if I want to realistically tour in foreign lands. 

Obviously I have quite a ways to go, literally and figuratively.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

The more you learn about wrenching on stuff the more confidence you gain... 

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, msb06c said:

I just disconnected it at the collector and re-installed it the same on the new exhaust! Maybe I did it wrong in the eyes of others but I followed Akrapovic install guide;https://d1sfhav1wboke3.cloudfront.net/ImageServer/Apim2media/Documents/14876/b78459173d4f4cb2a4e536759348d0d3.pdf

3 hours ago, msb06c said:

I think I removed my snorkel without lifting the tank - I removed the rider’s seat and then unscrewed the air filter lid.

6 hours ago, stickshift said:

I think I removed my snorkel without lifting the tank - I removed the rider’s seat and then unscrewed the air filter lid.

On mine I had to tilt it up some but I didnt remove it or I did loosen the tank but didnt have to. I forget 😂

Thank you all gents. 

I was up with the sun this morning and popped that o2 sensor off in 5 seconds HUGE HUGE thanks to @Evill_Ed for that video. 

after that I just had a few issues getting everything lined up but here I am 2.5 hours later, just wiped everything woth alchohol and I’m about to do my test fire to check for leaks. I figure I’ll try and pull the snorkel one more time real quick then fire it up. 

here’s what I’m riding today: 

6E140736-C833-44BC-A893-4A7E92ECC68F.jpeg

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Did you pop the connector with one hand 😝

Glad you got your pipe on, looks good. Now go take a long ride and report back to us. 

Ed

I used two hands. I did struggle for about 10 seconds and I was like damn this man UNBOLTED HIS shet AND THEN DID IT ONE HANDED TO HELP MY SORRY ASS, absolutely no excuse why I can’t  get this off... 30 seconds later I had the wire in my hand. Slightly embarrassed I couldn’t figure it out but at least my o2 wire isn’t ruined! 

update- I used a butter knife to get the snorkel out. Then I started it up. Couldn’t feel any exhaust leaks and it sounds SOOO MEAN. I didn’t rev it just idled it for a minute. It’s loud and low. Super happy about to gear up and go for a little 30-45 min joyride. Cheers!! 

• Like 3