The MT-07 Forum

researching this bike - hello from traffic

80/20

11 hours ago, gregjet said:

The original CB250RS ( early 80's) weighed about 120kg

I see the weight specs. for a CB250RS as 128 kilograms, which is a dry weight figure.

Don't forget that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki have switched to listing curb weights (wet weights) and have been for about 10 years, now. I've seen that cause confusion with Internet weight comparisons many times since they made the switch in measuring method. 

The CB300R does feel very light, and the published spec. of 143 kilograms (317 pounds) curb weight feels accurate to me. 

I point this out because it's wintertime weather over here, I already ate my breakfast, and there's a few minutes for me to burn this morning at 5:30 AM.

I think the CB300R needs it's own thread.

Edited by YZEtc

True, the weight of the wonderful original 250rs was 128. But like most things in my life , mine was ...er... lightened...a...bit...

On the same note my VTR250 ( originally a 1999 model) was 100kg when I was racing it. And that was in Production 250 class and included adding the weight of a full fairing ( though that was carbon fibre). I tend to be a bit obsessive.

At last count my 07 was 13kg lighter before I added back the pannier racks.

• Like 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

23 hours ago, gregjet said:

I LOVE 250 singles. I am wierd that way.

Don't get me started on the little CB250RS. My second bike was a CB250RS which I "Cafe Racer'd". Was also the first engine/top end I ever built and installed an XL250R high compression piston and Mikuni TM33 flat slide pumper. I got 155km/h (GPS) out of that little demon. It taught me how to ride quickly in the mountains. That thing ripped.

Sharpened-small.jpg

Wow! Its great to read all these responses!  May as well add that I was also intrigued by the cb500x as a possible too, what with its reliability and finally a stock tank that apparently can do up to 500kms (300mi).

One of the funnest bikes I rode for a year was my sisters 250 virago.  Grossly under powered for my experience but still for a grocery runner it was kinda fun, I still look back to zipping around in the city with that thing so cheap to insure and fill up.  In city traffic it did the job, on the highway it was buzzy.

I will do some research on the forum - still have no idea what will end up happening but in the next year or two I'm gonna pull the trigger on a purchase so I will followup at that time.  Until then thanks for the insightful responses, I definitely can say that since it would be a daily driver and rarely need to go fast the fz-07 is in my list.  I imagine it with a steering stabilizer and perhaps re-geared to be a bit more 'rowdy' heh heh.  And then buy a 2-stoker.  Dbl hehe hehe.  Buut there is that 2021 Tenere, outside of the budget, but surely amazing.

I have never gone to a motorcycle demo, next spring I should make an effort to go to some.  Man I gotta see if I can fish out some pics of that '88 fz600 for this forum... it was amazing for its time, at least for this rider ;)

I'm on an XSR700 and think the 700 is an incredible engine.   I'd say pick the 700 that "talks to you" from the possible 700s you likely won't be disappointed.   It is still more motor than I can use most places where I ride.  But I really like the look and design of the bike...  I also know many others don't, that's why there are three others.    I bought the bike that tripped my trigger every time I saw it.  First time in 20 plus years.

• 5 weeks later...

Thx for the input klx678.  I am pretty much deciding that this MT07 or FZ07 is the bike for me.  My first being the FZ600 I think there would also be some hilarious irony in the difference between the 2 machines being 30 years or so apart in development.  I was kindof joking about the re-gearing of the bike as .. well you tewbe has shown me enough proof.  But for me the first three mods would be 1. steering stabilizer, 2. heated grips, 3. tires.

So I will be keeping an eye on the classifieds section of this site for second hand FZ/MT07's.  There was one for sale from the East Coast but its gone now it appears.  In any case may as well mention that I'd fly/bus pretty much anywhere in Canada to buy one.  Because it would be a fun ride back home 😎.

Edited by 80/20
off by a decade, corrected, etc

• 3 months later...

Things happen, timing is critical, this is gonna be hilarious for some, and un-hilarious for others.

I bought a 2006 Virago 250 a few days ago just to get me back on the damn road.  It was certified and owned by a nice lady who did all the necessary maintenance, a lady wrencher so to speak.

Sooo this purchase will work until I save up for a brand new mt-07, which I didn't want to buy today.  We've all been there, and I am back on the road with the hilarious and fun Yamaha Virago V-Star 250

Its such a hilarious bike.  It does what I need it to do, not much more than that, but it works for me.  Soo cheap on gas and insurance, anyways folks this decision was not what I thought would happen.

But there you go.  There was one second hand mt-07 that was soooo close to being purchased but I am gonna ride this machine and save my money to prove that I will buy a new mt-07.  Because its that good of a machine.  In the meantime the hilarious Virago V-Star 250 will do what I need.  I'm on the road again, and nobody puts a dollar amount on that do they.  Also btw today I rode home from work in hail, I kid you notte.  And this little re-geared 17/40 grocery runner is still fun to flog.  Its a toy, but who cares really?  Its a dang v-twin, and it is so hilariously quiet, cheap on gasolina, and cheapo on insurance.

Just for now.  When I buy my new mt-07 I will re-post.  Until then I say a hilarious, adieu ;)

• Like 4