The MT-07 Forum

researching this bike - hello from traffic

80/20

I just joined this forum after joining what I believe to be the 'wrong forum' so I am posting the same post here..

I think this bike might be what I want, here is a little about me:

-bought a second hand lightly used FZ600 in 1990 with 900kms for first bike I ever had it was fun
-i liked that first bike so much i bought a second one and sold it years later
-moved on to the wonderful suzuki intruder 750 v-twin which i flogged like the 'ol FZ for ten years
-now I am in a predicament.. I can handle the FZ09, however, I don't think its the right machine
-I am not a hooligan, however, from time to time I might wander to that land

So back to my point, I think for me, 165lbs typically without baggage, that this bike is great choice, so I am joining this forum as an experienced rider who has been on 1100 inline 4's but then honestly the ktm 350exc-f sumo might be more what I should buy, but then a weird thought happened.. why not buy 2 bikes, one for the street, one for the dirt and then there is no compromise.

So hey, I was wondering if anyone identifies with what I'm saying here. I live rural so there is dirt bike and snow machine trails and fire roads, and logging roads and whatnot.

I just wanted to let folks know that 'that' fake fz or mt site is most likely scraping passwords off of stupid users, such as myself.  I just changed my password for this site, and rest ye all, I am not stupid enough to use a pass word more than once.  But many morons are... now back to the MT-07

The best thing in my opinion about the MT07 is that it appeals to all levels of riders. Newbs can ride them, they’re great at commuting, they can do the odd track day, with the right mods make a very capable race bike. The also wheelie very well (even a cheeky little one is fun sometimes).

When I took one for a test ride I honestly couldn’t believe how much fun it was (I’ve owned bigger bikes too), it had me nearly laughing in my helmet as I carved up city traffic. I was missing that fun factor with other bikes I owned.

The 09 and 07 are very different bikes. My mate has a 2017 09, and I dislike the riding position and the top heavy handling, and as good as the 09 engine is (think turbine smooth grunt), the 07 engine has more low down torque and is better in 90% of road riding situations.

The 07 does have some issues too, mainly down to keeping it as cheap as possible (upgrading the rear shock is a must-do in my opinion). The good news is that the aftermarket caters very well for these bikes, for virtually any mods (yep, there’s even a bolt on turbo kit available...).

Take one for a test ride, I’m sure you’ll appreciate it for what it is.

Edited by stickshift

• Premium Member

The T7 might be up your alley...due this coming early summer I hear...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Pretty much what @stickshift said.  Especially the "...better in 90% of road riding situations."  I think it is a fantastic choice that can be enjoyed immensely within a "use-able" range.  Though the T7 is certainly something to consider as well.  If you have time to wait and make a decision, then I'd wait and see about the T7 before choosing, although having a dedicated street bike and dirt bike is a nice luxury.

Since I am leap frogging a bit..

Nope. This is the the first I hear of this, I am just a dude.

I just looked up T7 on this site and it returns nothing.

T7 FAQ

for example

1 hour ago, norcal616 said:

The T7 might be up your alley...due this coming early summer I hear...

But correct me if I am wrong, Yamaha US gets certain vehicles that Yamaha CA does not so

-at worst its an import

-does it shed mud

-i like the carbeurated old fz600 sooooo fuel injectors cost a lot and they don't last as long as the old friend, the clogged carb for example

i wonder what the engineering department is going to do

Edited by 80/20

so the logical step is to the T700 I guess, ok, I hear all arguments until no arguing is going on.

for the price of a mt-07 and the new inverter the 2200is ...

you get the mt-09

which is an incredible amazing machine.. but

i would probably go for the mt-07 and the 2200is inverter

like stickshift says another example

if i go the 'two' route, the 'non-legal' bike can be a 2 stoker, like say a 125

the street machine would be a used mt-07 or the t-07, whichever is cheaper

Edited by 80/20

The folks who responded on this thread are indeed correct.

There is a 2021 Tenere 700 available in Canada, I stand corrected.

it's a cold Sunday morning and I have a few minutes I want to spend before doing my laundry:

In August of 2014, I took part in a Yamaha demo ride and rode both a 2015 FZ-09 and a 2015 FZ-07, planning on buying the one that I preferred.

First was the FZ-09. Even though it is a 3-cylindered engine, if I hadn't known that, I'd have thought it was a 850cc 4-cylinder. I'd heard so much good press from the FZ-09 by that point, and I was ready to be impressed. I was not, however, blown away by anything and it felt "average" to me. It was a good-feeling bike, though, one that I could have easily bought and enjoyed. I may have done just that, except for...

Next was the FZ-07. Before I made it out of the parking lot I knew this bike was way more to my liking vs. the FZ-09. I liked how the engine felt, sounded, and ran like a big Thumper or V-twin, a performance Thumper or V-Twin at that. The power characteristics - lots of torque in the low- and mid-range - were perfect for me. It felt small, light, had a great seating position and ergonomics for me, good brakes, and basically reminded me of a 689cc, twin-cylindered motard.

I bought a 2015 FZ-07 two days later and kept it for over 5 years, which is a long time for me.

It was the most fun-to-ride street bike of all that I've owned. I only sold it (recently) because old age is creeping in and my conscience was telling me to get a smaller-displacing street bike (recently bought a 2020 Honda CB300R).

Edited by YZEtc

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
3 hours ago, YZEtc said:

It was the most fun-to-ride street bike of all that I've owned. I only sold it (recently) because old age is creeping in and my conscience was telling me to get a smaller-displacing street bike (recently bought a 2020 Honda CB300R).

I am considering downsizing too, and was wondering how you like the little Honda, as it is one of the bikes I am considering.  More specifically, I would like to know how the riding position compares to the FZ--is it as upright and neutral, or is it more like a sportbike riding position?

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

1 minute ago, bornagainbiker said:

I am considering downsizing too, and was wondering how you like the little Honda, as it is one of the bikes I am considering.  More specifically, I would like to know how the riding position compares to the FZ--is it as upright and neutral, or is it more like a sportbike riding position?

The CB300R is very similar to the FZ-07 except that the rear of the CB300R feels a bit more jacked-up as far as rear ride height goes. It gives the feeling that the rear is a bit taller than the front. When you look at studio pics of the CB300R, you can see that.

Not a negative thing for me, really, but the main difference I felt the first time I rode it. Well, that, and the lighter weight due mainly to the much smaller engine, and,  of course,  the reduced power and torque due to that smaller engine, too.

It didn't take me long to get used to my new street bike. I bought it on October 19th, have just over 600 miles so far, and the bike feels very much like I thought it would: A smaller version of my FZ-07.

My only gripe with the CB300R is that the front brake came with pads that resulted in dismal braking power. Changing to EBC HH pads brought it all the way up to pretty good. Now, I can at least live with it. I still plan on a different master cylinder to improve it further.

• Thanks 1

If you are considering downsizing , don't forget the Honda 500 twin variants. One of the sweetest motors I have seen in over 40 years of riding. Like the MT/FZ07 the suspension sucks. Like the 07, there is heaps of available proper suspension upgrades. The 07 is actually lighter though.

If you get the 07 Tracer where you are, it has better geometry and weight bias, thanks to a longer swingarm. It also doesn't have the Princess Tinytank of the 07 and you get better range out of it.

The T7 is by far a better adventure bike...by far. A lot more expensive though.

The 09 is better quality made bike, but not as much fun to ride as the 07 ( imho).

For me the CB300R is too heavy for it's weight.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I have the Honda 500 engine in my Rebel. I must say that I don't find the twin as sweet as it could be. Mine seems to be one balance shaft short (at higher revs). None the less the bike is fun to ride and better suspended than my '14 MT-07 (imho).

Just do it! 

2 hours ago, gregjet said:

For me the CB300R is too heavy for it's weight.

Say what??? It's 143kg wet! There's nothing else in the same class that can match that.

I've also thought about adding one of these to the stable alongside the MT07 because I absolutely love the look, and small/light is my kind of bike.

As for the original post, just test ride and 09 and then an 07 and makes your choice. I had an XSR900 and an R3 before I bought the MT07 (plus about 30 other bikes over years) and the MT07 is easily the most fun bike I've owned. Small, light, unreal exhaust sound and tonnes of torque for it's size. It makes my daily commute a joy ride rather than a chore.

Edited by kylerhsm

• Premium Member

I'm 50 years old, and I've been riding over 40 years. I've owned everything from dirt bikes, to a Goldwing..... I got bitten by the "track day bug" about ten years ago. I started on a supermoto, then to an R6 (hated it), then downsized to a KTM RC390. I had neck surgery in 2016 that limited my neck movement to where I couldn't ride a "proper" sport bike anymore, so I sold the RC390. I bought a new FZ-07 in the spring of 2017 (for a more upright riding position). The FZ/MT-07 is probably the most versatile street bike I've ever owned. I bought it for the track, but honestly it makes a really nice street bike as well. I've done several 400 mile rides on it, it's no Goldwing, but better than I expected it to be. My opinion, is if you can afford it- get both bikes 😎!!!! I've never found a street legal bike to be very good in the dirt-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

kylerhsm:

" Say what??? It's 143kg wet! There's nothing else in the same class that can match that."

Have you actually weighed it. The initial reports I saw gave it's weight as 190kg ( roughly).  I dismissed as soon as it saw that and took no more notice. Could have been a mis print ( I have even seen things like that in FACTORY brocures). The 07 originally stated in the brochure that it had a 90deg crank ( which it does but fires at 270deg).

143kg makes way more sense, so I am more inclined to believe your figure. The original CB250RS ( early 80's) weighed about 120kg, so it is still porky, but more desireable at 143 than 190. If your figure is right, I looks like a good project bike for lightening in future. I reckon that just a pipe would get it under 140.

I LOVE 250 singles. I am wierd that way.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, gregjet said:

kylerhsm:

" Say what??? It's 143kg wet! There's nothing else in the same class that can match that."

Have you actually weighed it. The initial reports I saw gave it's weight as 190kg ( roughly).  I dismissed as soon as it saw that and took no more notice. Could have been a mis print ( I have even seen things like that in FACTORY brocures). The 07 originally stated in the brochure that it had a 90deg crank ( which it does but fires at 270deg).

143kg makes way more sense, so I am more inclined to believe your figure. The original CB250RS ( early 80's) weighed about 120kg, so it is still porky, but more desireable at 143 than 190. If your figure is right, I looks like a good project bike for lightening in future. I reckon that just a pipe would get it under 140.

I LOVE 250 singles. I am wierd that way.

My wife used to track a CBR250R (single). That bike is such a great "first" track bike!!!! It's just under 30 HP, so it teaches you how to carry speed.... Add to that, it's unbelievably cheap to fix after a crash. Many people have ridden her bike at our local track. Most of them ended up downsizing to a smaller bike within a year. It's just too damn much fun!!! We have a bunch of riders that really mix it up on R3's!!! 😎

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Let us remember that Moto3 is 250 single class. Also THE BEST racing of any class ( without stupid one manufacture rule, as well). We had a MotoGP online video subscription mainly for the Moto3 as MotoGP is always televised. The little class is almost ALWAYS the best racing. One race last year had first to 14 place across the line within 1sec.

I would soooo like to race a Moto3 , more than any other class, despite being way too heavy for it.

• Like 1