The MT-07 Forum

Handlebar alignment

brokendown

I need a bit of a sanity check here. Last month I went down at low speed and scratched up my bike and bent the handlebars a bit. I was ok, insurance covered everything but now I'm stumped on whether or not my handlebars are fixed. When I first dropped off the bike, I pointed out that they were a bit crooked and it was still missed on the original estimate. So when I got the bike back after all of the other repairs, I mentioned it again (since it was still definitely crooked) and they agreed, ordered handlebars and this weekend they "replaced" the handlebars. I put replaced in q[span]uotes because it almost seems like they just rotated my handlebars down and they're still crooked, but it's very slight.

So my question is, if you were to draw an imaginary line across the top points of where the handlebars bend, would that line be parallel to the turn signals? My right side is definitely a bit closer to the turn signals than the left and I don't know if I'm just making this up or not. I can get a picture if anyone needs clarification of what I mean.
[/span]

Guest MXRider

The forks could be twisted in the triple clamp, or the clamps themselves could be bent. You can loosen the top and bottom triple clamp bolts and make sure everything is in alignment and then snug them back up. (You need a front stand that takes the weight off the wheel for this)

If you remove the handlebars and lay them on something flat it's easy to tell if they have a bend in them. That would at least narrow it down.

Ok, that at least gives me a way to check if the handlebars were replaced. I do have stands too, so I'll check out the triple clamp. Thanks for the ideas!

• 3 months later...

so its not just me. The same thing happened to me. I recently took my bike in to have the factory recall done for the wiring harness. I had them look at it, and sure enough, the clamp is bent and so are the handlebars. Its going to cost me $350 to fix it... i'm pretty annoyed about it.

Archived