The MT-07 Forum

SV shock on a FZ

sprout

Why not contact Ohlins and ask them?   See what need be changed.  I did that with a set of Works Performance shocks, the tech told me they'd work fine in my application, putting a set made for a GPz550 on an SR500.  Said damping would be close, maybe need different springs depending on how the bike was ridden.   Contact them and ask.

• Global Moderator
21 hours ago, sprout said:

Will an ohlins SV shock Fit an FZ ?

thanks

Your profile says youre in Prescott valley, give these guys a call, they're off 43rd Ave and union hills in Phoenix, About 10 mins off the 17.

The Helmet Center (623) 444-4789

If they can'tget you an answer, they can point you to someone who will

Both owners are ex racers, most of their employees track their bikes. 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

A picture with an eye to eye shock length would help.  Assuming you already have it in hand.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, klx678 said:

Why not contact Ohlins and ask them?   See what need be changed.  I did that with a set of Works Performance shocks, the tech told me they'd work fine in my application, putting a set made for a GPz550 on an SR500.  Said damping would be close, maybe need different springs depending on how the bike was ridden.   Contact them and ask.

Works Performance was fantastic when I bought from them years ago.  They could pretty much build anything if you gave them specs.  Carrera used to be like that with race car suspension.  Who wants to design a car around  given shock lengths.  Then QA1 bought Carrera out to eliminate their dirt track competition and stopped doing custom for the road race guys.  It sucked.  Sorry for the side track....  lol

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

On 12/3/2019 at 7:07 PM, sprout said:

Will an ohlins SV shock Fit an FZ ?

thanks

No. It is too long, sprung/valved to light and bottom clevis is too wide. 

• Like 1

firstyammerha

Checking with Ohlins or one of their repair/modification shops would be a good idea. Before calling get the dimensions of your stock shock. My experience is that slight changes in eye to eye length should be no problem.Tthe ohlins may be adjustable in length. A wider clevis I don't think would be a problem. Narrower yes. Watch the width of the upper mount as I have found that early Yamaha FZ's had much wider upper shock eye that didn't fit the FZ07 mount.A chart that I use shows the 1999-2002 SV shock is 337-339mm and a 2003-2009 is 330mm and our FZ's are like 310mm. Spring rate for the SV in 1999-2002 was 510lbs/inch and 430lbs./inch for the 2003-2009 bike. The FZ07 rate is around 600lbs./inch. The important point is having your shock measurements handy.