The MT-07 Forum

Race Bike Build

Nevets

2 hours ago, Nevets said:

It was shortly after taking this photo that I realized that the ECU and regulator are in my way when fitting the tank cover.
I know that Andy Palmer includes relocation brackets for both of these with his mounting kit for the fairings. I ended up buying the SharkSkinz kit from iOneMoto, and they do not sell comparable relocation brackets. So I'm curious what other people have done.

Grab an old road sign from the wall of your shop or kids dorm room and cut some flat brackets. Use some miscellaneous left over fasteners to mount the components to the brackets. Mount them anywhere they fit that's out of the way. 

Here's some ideas from one of TWF's bikes,

IMG_1812.thumb.jpg.cabe7efed7615a769f9369786f7b7515.jpg.cb79a455c82edbc5f4e7c7c58997f3df.jpg

IMG_1808.thumb.jpg.da4369a732c676f24fdd3111ee875500.jpg.5f38d5e2a02df1c909bff28da775a079.jpg

And this is my bike using variations of AP's mounts,

IMG_20190308_153907.thumb.jpg.594b08ef764a452c4985e580554d6c13.jpg.56f573fad2953a19b48f3a65a6d71c0e.jpg

20160410_152325-4.thumb.jpg.2618132df820e2f48b52626a05335b2e.jpg

Or come up with something else?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

That plastic trays by the ECU and whatnot is for a onboard tool pouch or luggage 😁

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Build is coming along nice! I have done just about every same mod you have done less the fairings. I guess mine will be the evil naked twin to yours 😎

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Werbenjagermanjensen said:

The V3 was the main aftermarket gas cap I'd wanted to install, but the Vortex website maintained that they weren't able to fit the MT-07. Is that incorrect? How'd you manage?

I'm not sure why they said it doesn't fit. My bike is a 2015 FZ-07, and it bolted right on. Perfect fit.

The only thing I had to do was trim the rubber loops that go around the two rear screws. A pair of scissors was all I needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1tondriver said:

Build is coming along nice! I have done just about every same mod you have done less the fairings. I guess mine will be the evil naked twin to yours 😎

Just wait until you see the livery. You won't want to be my twin. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Just wait until you see the livery. You won't want to be my twin. :P

Looking forward to it! Lol Send it

Werbenjagermanjensen
28 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I'm not sure why they said it doesn't fit. My bike is a 2015 FZ-07, and it bolted right on. Perfect fit.

The only thing I had to do was trim the rubber loops that go around the two rear screws. A pair of scissors was all I needed.

Do you remember if you used the GC610K or GC620K model?

Werbenjagermanjensen
Just now, Werbenjagermanjensen said:

Do you remember if you used the GC610K or GC620K model?

Oops. Sorry, was able to answer my own question through process of elimination. Mea culpa.

• Like 1

Oh my god!
What is all this junk behind the regulator?

838209930_20200103Relaysandjunkbyregulator.jpg.ef3b8f5c91dbc3a3d9149afd3cd6a4f1.jpg

I know, I know, it's relays and such for all the signals, and headlights and tail lights, and other junk that racers don't need.

What did you guys do with all this? Did you cut it off? Did you just stuff it under the gas tank? How do you keep it from jiggling around?

9 hours ago, mossrider said:

And this is my bike using variations of AP's mounts,

IMG_20190308_153907.thumb.jpg.594b08ef764a452c4985e580554d6c13.jpg.56f573fad2953a19b48f3a65a6d71c0e.jpg

Is that mount for the regulator only attached to the frame by a single bolt?

Just now, Nevets said:

Is that mount for the regulator only attached to the frame by a single bolt?

One bolt since 2015! I don't have a full on stripped race harness. Much of The obviously unecessary stuff has been removed but a lot of stuff remains and has been zip tied out of the way to frame rails or whatnot.  

• Confused 1

I started working on the fairings today. I bought the SharkSkinz kit from iOneMoto. The quality is very nice, and the bodywork feels very durable. Hopefully I won't test that out right away.

410355918_20200104Fairingpartialfitup(1).jpg.9e7754c1191f7713f13184a7d5534d72.jpg

2112449379_20200104Fairingpartialfitup(2).jpg.07816d5bb6b2b4a77641c6a9ce0cf337.jpg

The tank cover is completely fitted. That wasn't too bad.

The upper is attached at the side stays. I drilled the holes where the marked indents were, but found that everything sat too high. The exhaust was making contact with the belly pan, and the sliders did not line up with the openings very well. So I drilled a second set of holes above the first ones (...angry at myself for drilling twice, and only measuring once) and everything sits a lot nicer.  I have the upper and lower tilted up quite a bit to get everything to clear nicely. I suspect this is how they did it in the shop, because the pick ups for the front stay line up much nicer this way.

I didn't receive any hardware to attach the upper to the front stay. I'm hoping that was an oversight, and I can call and get them to send me the right pieces.

The kit comes with a small aluminum brace to connect the lower. I'm not sure where this is supposed to connect though. I'll have to do a little more research. It may not reach the right spot because of how I have the fairings angled on the bike. If that's the case, I'll just make up my own little brace.

The seat is another story. The riser that sits under the seat, and on top of the sub frame has holes pre drilled to attach to the sub frame. Which is fine, because they line up great. The trouble is, it's impossible to access these bolts, and it's impossible to get the seat over this riser once installed without removing the gas tank. I suspect I'll just need to cut two holes in the seat so I can insert the bolts through the seat, and then tighten them through the seat. I have emailed iOneMoto to confirm. I'll update you guys when I hear back.

I still have some minor trimming to do on the upper, but overall the fit is really good. Much less work to install than the HotBodies kit we put on my wife's R3.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Nevets said:

That’s how I did it. Then I used an Allen bolt and with a retaining washer. The retaining washer makes removal and installation easier. 

Edited by MiniFZ
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MiniFZ said:

That’s how I did it. Then I used an Allen bolt and with a retaining washer. The retaining washer makes removal and installation easier. 

I take it you're referring to my question about the seat?
If so, thanks. That does give me more confidence about my intended solution.

• Premium Member

Awesome!

No worries on the miss drilled holes.  A little fiberglass cloth, resin, and painter's tape fixes those.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Hi, 
I try to give a short summery of my mounting experience.
At the moment I have no dismantled FZ, as soon, I have it here, I will take some pics.
I moved the regulator a bit lower, left side of the cylinder, but you have to extend  2 wires.

right side: removing ABS and moving ECU from upright into horizontal position.

seat: shorten the rear frame and added a new connection between the left and right part .
the "distance seat part" (sorry for my English 😉 ) is mounted on standard holes, now seat can be mounted on standard hole as well.

FINALLY!

1676652904_20200107Forkdissassembled.jpg.e3ca2cdf5ace87374335a868d2a702c4.jpg

The official damper rod holder tool arrived from K&L Supply today. I went straight to the garage to test it.

It sure didn't disappoint. Worked like a charm, and I had the damper rod out in 30 seconds.
This is a huge relief. Looking forward to the weekend so I can finish the fork upgrades.

Here is a close up of the official tool side by side with the Motion Pro knock off.

260613620_20200107OfficialvsKnockoffHolderTool.jpg.f19af8cb407c8e36357eaf88c1996629.jpg

I could tell as soon as I opened the package what a big difference this was going to make. The shallower angle on the taper allows for a much greater mechanical advantage when inserted into the damper rod.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Nevets said:

FINALLY!

1676652904_20200107Forkdissassembled.jpg.e3ca2cdf5ace87374335a868d2a702c4.jpg

The official damper rod holder tool arrived from K&L Supply today. I went straight to the garage to test it.

It sure didn't disappoint. Worked like a charm, and I had the damper rod out in 30 seconds.
This is a huge relief. Looking forward to the weekend so I can finish the fork upgrades.

Here is a close up of the official tool side by side with the Motion Pro knock off.

260613620_20200107OfficialvsKnockoffHolderTool.jpg.f19af8cb407c8e36357eaf88c1996629.jpg

I could tell as soon as I opened the package what a big difference this was going to make. The shallower angle on the taper allows for a much greater mechanical advantage when inserted into the damper rod.

Yes, well done. Great feeling when the 8mm starts backing out ha!!!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Nevets said:

Do you have a 41mm fork seal driver? 

Just now, fzar said:

Do you have a 41mm fork seal driver? 

Yes. I bought one from Traxxion Dynamics when I purchased my new fork internals.

I learned my lesson when I did this same upgrade on my wife's R3. For her bike, I had to improvise with some PVC pipe to drive the seals, and it was a pain in the butt. So I knew I wanted proper seal drivers this time around.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Yes. I bought one from Traxxion Dynamics when I purchased my new fork internals.

I learned my lesson when I did this same upgrade on my wife's R3. For her bike, I had to improvise with some PVC pipe to drive the seals, and it was a pain in the butt. So I knew I wanted proper seal drivers this time around.

I lost my seal driver and I wasn't( forking) over another $45 as I think its in a box the I moved into storage, I was also pretty desperate to get the job done to ride. I went to home depot and bought PVC pipe. What a pain in the ass that was, I'll go rumaging for the seal driver soon as I'll be waiting on my NIX-22 cartridges to come in for a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 2:41 PM, Nevets said:

Oh my god!
What is all this junk behind the regulator?

838209930_20200103Relaysandjunkbyregulator.jpg.ef3b8f5c91dbc3a3d9149afd3cd6a4f1.jpg

I know, I know, it's relays and such for all the signals, and headlights and tail lights, and other junk that racers don't need.

What did you guys do with all this? Did you cut it off? Did you just stuff it under the gas tank? How do you keep it from jiggling around?

Bracket I made (picture Mossrider posted) has ears for those relays. If you interested I got few.  

IMG_3400.jpeg

• Like 5

Woohoo!

Spent some time in the garage today, and got the forks fully sorted.

Out with the old, in with the new. Here is a photo of the OEM fork internals along side my new Traxxion Dynamics AR-25 Damper Rod Kit.

1883649086_20200111Forkinternalreplacement.jpg.c79e66af4ad77fc82e914c094e094d83.jpg

After some vigorous cleaning and wiping, I started putting things back together, and set the oil level.

743784507_20200111Settingtheforkoillevel.jpg.5da785f4a9ef2caa851318fe263eebe4.jpg

And then final reassembly.

1668012666_20200111Forkreassembled.jpg.a0e87ba87cca9f975537e71109c69c8f.jpg

With both forks done, I was able to finally get started on setting up my controls. I ran out of time, so I only got the handlebars on, and did a loose fitup of the clutch and throttle.

2068524235_20200111Forksonbikehandlebardsinstalled.jpg.05815eeea80f617fb6617132c45fd3d0.jpg

I definitely need to tighten up the steering stops. Right now, the dash display is acting as a steering stop. If (when) I crash, the display will probably be destroyed. I've seen photos of some of you guys drilling the steering stops and threading them to add bolts to shorten the steering angle. What other options are available?

• Like 3