The MT-07 Forum

Not fz related but I have a fork leak

phanomenal07

Not the fz but if you guys could be so kind to instill your knowledge upon me I would preciate it. My tiger 800 just developed a leak in the forks over night. I'm not sure how it just randomly happens. I've dont quite a bit of offroading but never really hit anything hard. In the picture you can see the silver part covered in a film of oil and the caliber mount covered in oil. What do you guys think can cause this and is it gonna need a rebuild?

imagejpeg_0(2).jpg

imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

My guess is a leaky/bad fork seal. Time for a fork service. You could get a complete rebuild for about $150+parts from a suspension service tech if you pull the forks and deliver them. Or less for just new seals. If I pull the forks I just go ahead and get them gone thru.

$.02 ☺

• Premium Member

Try this first-  

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

+1 on try cleaning them first. You can also use a thin piece of hard plastic from packaging and cut it into the same shape as the device above.

I feel like I should do what @mossridersaid. If I do just clean it would i need to top it off with some oil. I read that it was really important to have the same amount of oil in both tub

Edited by phanomenal07

5 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

I feel like I should do what @mossridersaid. If I do just clean it would i need to top it off with some oil. I read that it was really important to have the same amount of oil in both tub

You could certainly try another option first if you're of a mind to. I've used them myself numerous times over the years. If you're only down a tablespoon of fluid or so that's a non issue. But those are usually interim fixes to stave off the inevitable full service. It's tuff to beat a fluid and seal change and bushing check. Most folks delay this far too long imo.

If we pay for good suspension it makes no sense to me not to maximize it's performance and enjoy it. If we have marginal suspension it makes no sense to me not to maximize it's performance for our benefit.  

$.02

• Like 1

So just to update. I bought the sealmate tool and cleaned out the fork seal. The leak have seem to stop and still no leak after a few trips to work. I still dont trust it but I am hoping itll last long enough til spring time when I start riding the fz again. Then I'll send the forks off to get serviced while riding the fz. I was gonna turn the fz to an 07R this winter but I'll just wait til after the forks get serviced so I dont lose any riding time.

• Like 1