The MT-07 Forum

Ducati ST4 Ohlins Rear Shock Fitment Questions

DeF_Enterprises

DeF_Enterprises

Hey guys, new the forum, but been an owner of my 2015 FZ07FGY since they came out in 2015. 16,000 miles. R1 front end swap, Hord Power intake & ECU tune, Yoshimura full exhaust.

Anyways, I recently purchased a used Ohlins rear shock from a 2002 Ducati ST4. The last major modification I see making to my FZ is the rear shock upgrade. However I realized that the bottom of the Ohlins shock has an identical eyelet to the top, meanwhile the stock shock has the opposite bracket on the bottom of the shock. My explanation is terrible so here are some pictures and you'll know what I'm talking about.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HNGXZCkuxu31Q6Q47v1MY_gmOhs_fWeB

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dyO_sZ3VHKKSc0jwQPKhwAYFnK3TNqYB

So clearly as is this isn't going to work. The first option would be modifying the bottom of the Ohlins shock by maybe welding on the hanger type bracket. This would lengthen the shock though, and increase the rear height of the bike. I have already changed the rake position with the R1 front end, so I don't want to raise the rear without raising the front as well. Furthermore, I don't think I'd be comfortable welding on this bracket that close to the plastic adjuster on the bottom of the Ohlins shock.

This brings me to option #2 which I believe to be the only reallty feasible one. To cut and modify the wishbone part which the shock mounts to. The eyelet could be cut off, and the hanger bracket CNC cut and welded on. Here is an image of kind of what I am thinking. One of these would be on both side of where the stock eyelet is of course.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zRYy-TRuHikpx1xORMVL0PTe2zsszFhf

I was wondering if any of you had other ideas, or thoughts on this approach. Is it even worth it, or should I just save this rear shock for another build and purchase a shock from JD Hord that would be a direct swap?

Thanks for the help!

-Alex

I swapped my forks with a R6 2012 front end and used a 2006 Honda 600rr shock I got off ebay for like $30.00. Had to get angled airfilters so they give way to the shocks reservoir.

Perhaps you can clean up those shocks you got there and then sell them and get some proper? Im no expert but I think a expert would not do what you would do. Sounds counter productive and dangerous if you arent an expert.

Anyhow. Thats just my 2 cents. 

• Premium Member

I know how to get it done, but it's going to be hard for me to explain.  Cut the top part of the aluminum bell crank off where it attaches with a clevis shock end.  Then cut two pieces of 1/8 inch stainless steel and sandwich between aluminum bell crank.  Attach using two alloy fasteners.  Drill hole for your new shock.  But only do this if you are familiar with this type of stuff.  That's my disclaimer.  

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I personally wouldn’t bother. The spring rate and valving likely wouldn’t be ideal, and I don’t like the idea of removing material from the link in trial & error.

DeF_Enterprises

Appreciate all the insight. I ended up going with the Ohlins from RevZilla. I don't track race the FZ, and have enough ongoing projects which could use the Ducati Ohlins.

Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

firstyammerha

I wouldn't weld anything on a gas charged shock...doesn't T-Rex make a link with a clevis type mount? Surely they do considering the bikes out there with an eye type mount on both ends. You could check to see what Ohlins or their rebuilders would charge to swap shock bodies but that may be pricey. Or find a Yamaha model with this type upper and lower mount-FZ09 maybe?