The MT-07 Forum

Talk me out of a crf250f....

blackout

• Premium Member

So, I don't ride on the street any more.  Will messing around on a dirt bike on the off season and between track days make me a better track rider?  I have 86 acres of farm land and a 4 wheeler and a 3 wheeler, but never a dirt bike.  Someone talk me out of buying a 2020 crf250f, please!  lol

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

I think it's a great idea!!! Riding in the dirt is a HUGE benefit. Track riding as all about controlling traction to the track surface. What better way to "learn" to control a bike that is sliding than on the dirt!!! I'm 50 years old, and have serious neck issues. That is the ONLY reason I don't ride the dirt anymore.... Pull-the-trigger, and have some fun!!!

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Ahem, as the spokesman for reason, moderation and restraint;

GET IT! 

Riding dirty bikes has made me comfortable on iffy tracks, in the rain, cold tracks, off tracks, in sand traps, lol. You're gonna have a blast, WAY more fun than 4 squeelers.

IMG_20191126_204426.thumb.jpg.25241403d5ab6cc4b76fe25b77de298a.jpg

With Snell approved truckers hat, molestache and regulation rolled up Levi's, for the ladies...

And almost all of the great road racers past and present raced on the dirt. The old GNC days were the shet! 

• Like 4

I'm a bit prejudiced, but it seems the media is as well...  the Kawasaki KLX250 is a better off road play bike with adjustable damping on decent, I think longer travel suspension units that can be rebuilt/revalved.  The rear shock has a piggy back reservoir set up like the MX bikes.  Brakes are essentially the same as the MX bikes at least in the past few years, maybe not the newest.      

If you won't ride roads at all, the KLX300R comes into play with a bit more power but still electric start.  The KLX250 is only $400 more, weighs less, and has more serious hop up potential with big bore capability from 299cc to 330cc to 351cc and Bill Blue just got the EFI dialed for the 351.  Less cost than replacing the shock on the Honda if you decided you needed better suspension.

Honda is a nice bike to putter around, the KLX is based on the early 300s and has the similar frame type as the KXs had in the 90s and early 2000s and can take a serious pounding.  It is also more an off roader.   Honda gets great marks for a starter bike and for those who want to mildly ride trails.  Give the KLX a look, more for your money than the CRF even considering the pricing, $5599 versus $5199.  The suspension is worth it.  

Then there is the WR250R if you want to go significantly more money, but again significantly more bike.

I have a 2009 KLX running around on it for the past four years or so, I have a 299cc kit, flat slide pumper carb, and full exhaust for it, but can't seem to get myself to tear it down long enough to build it up.  It is a blast goofing around dirt/gravel roads and thrashing in general.  Now with the XSR I will have a bike to play on while doing the 250.  So, as I said, I'm prejudiced in favor of the Kawasaki.

Maybe that will talk you out of the CRF.

Edited by klx678
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, klx678 said:

Then there is the WR250R if you want to go significantly more money, but again significantly more bike.

Maybe that will talk you out of the CRF.

I would go this route instead of the Honda. You get a lot more capable bike than the Honda imo.  The WR has a lot more dirt bike lineage than the Honda. My .02

• Like 1

• Premium Member

MSRP needs to be under 5,ooo.  And I prefer to buy new.  But there are some nice options just above 5,000. 

I'd like to get my oldest son, 18, on dirt bikes as well, and then see if he wants to track the FZ07.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Riding and getting good on a dirt bike will teach you lots of valuable skills.

That's why lots of top drawer road racers do it.

It's also a lot of fun.

The CRF250F looks like a good choice for getting into it, too.

Good compromise between suspension travel and seat height.

• Like 1