The MT-07 Forum

Swapping ECUs

Slono

Hey all, my cousin is selling his MT-07 and has his ECU flashed using the FTECU kit he bought for his bike.  He is willing to give me the FTECU kit for free. Since the FTECU license is tied to his ECU could we just swap ECUs?  Also if I brought my bike in for some work at a shop they wouldn’t care if it didn’t have the original bike’s ECU would they?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Slono

Providing you both have similar bikes (not a Euro 3 vs North American or lamda unit for instance) swap the ecu's no one cares, they're plug and play. We frequently swap them out at the track to get new or updated flash or try someone else's secret recipe. 

Note: should say 'used to swap them' as the proliferation of stand alone programmers/ecu's and piggy back modules is becoming more prevalent. If they are 'like bikes' you'll have no problems.

6 hours ago, mossrider said:

Providing you both have similar bikes (not a Euro 3 vs North American or lamda unit for instance) swap the ecu's no one cares, they're plug and play. We frequently swap them out at the track to get new or updated flash or try someone else's secret recipe. 

Note: should say 'used to swap them' as the proliferation of stand alone programmers/ecu's and piggy back modules is becoming more prevalent. If they are 'like bikes' you'll have no problems.

Isn't the immobilizer part of the ECU and tied to the key's  rfid? 

Just now, paxx said:

Isn't the immobilizer part of the ECU and tied to the key's  rfid? 

I'm unfamiliar with immobilizers, they are not part of North American market bikes to my knowledge. Slono looks to be from Canada and I was referring to what I know. Even if it had an immobilizer I would still think there's a simple work around tho, a $7000 toy does not warrant nuclear sub level security technology.  A brief search shows that there is only 1 part number for the N. A. ecu anyway. My guess would be that the immobilizer is part of the key switch assembly and not the ecu which are manufactured by third party vendor, Denso. These bikes are generally plug and play repairable at this price point.   

Or

I could be wrong.

You are correct mossrider, the immobilizer unit is separate of the ecu and part of the key switch. I would assume both bikes would have abs and the immobilizer.

In the service manual, it looks like the ecu still sees the key codes that the immobilizer unit would see.

This is a service manual for a 2014 EU bike, info is good for all models. Easiest is to download it versus viewing online (just google it if my link doesn't work).

On page 8-84 it mentions swapping used ecu will cause codes not to match.

So if you want to swap ecu u will have to swap switches and keys as well. Or you might be able to go through all the reprogramming of new keys, outlined in the manual, if you still have your "special" "re-registering" key.

Im glad this trash isn't in USA bikes yet. WOW

Good to know that it's not part of US bikes. I thought I recalled the dealer being very specific about not loosing the silver key tag that came attached to one of the bike keys. I assumed it had something to do with the immobilizer coding system, t may just been a cut code though.

10 hours ago, mossrider said:

I'm unfamiliar with immobilizers, they are not part of North American market bikes to my knowledge. Slono looks to be from Canada and I was referring to what I know. Even if it had an immobilizer I would still think there's a simple work around tho, a $7000 toy does not warrant nuclear sub level security technology.  A brief search shows that there is only 1 part number for the N. A. ecu anyway. My guess would be that the immobilizer is part of the key switch assembly and not the ecu which are manufactured by third party vendor, Denso. These bikes are generally plug and play repairable at this price point.   

Or

I could be wrong.

How would I know if the immobilizer is kicking in?

I'd start by just swapping the ecu's and trying it. It only takes a few minutes. If it doesn't start I'd probably just get his flash kit software and pay for another license from FTECU and flash your ecu, it won't take long to eat up more time/money fooling with the immobilizer than the cost of a new flash. You could also check with FTECU to see if they have or can over ride the immobilizer function with the flash so it simply ignores the immobilizer if so equiped. Again, I'm not fluent in immobilizer technospeak. 

Cue @bornagainbiker or another northerner that might know more about these infernal magic starters.

My $.02.

2 hours ago, geophb said:

^It won't start. 

1 hour ago, mossrider said:

I'd start by just swapping the ecu's and trying it. It only takes a few minutes. If it doesn't start I'd probably just get his flash kit software and pay for another license from FTECU and flash your ecu, it won't take long to eat up more time/money fooling with the immobilizer than the cost of a new flash. You could also check with FTECU to see if they have or can over ride the immobilizer function with the flash so it simply ignores the immobilizer if so equiped. Again, I'm not fluent in immobilizer technospeak. 

Cue @bornagainbiker or another northerner that might know more about these infernal magic starters.

My $.02.

I swapped them and it starts fine.  I don’t really know how immobilizers in bikes and cars work so I was worried about the motorcycle shutting down while I was riding or something crazy like that.

But since it starts fine is it safe to assume that the immobilizer did NOT kick in and there will be no immobilizer related issues going forward?

Just now, Slono said:

I swapped them and it starts fine.  I don’t really know how immobilizers in bikes and cars work so I was worried about the motorcycle shutting down while I was riding or something crazy like that.

But since it starts fine is it safe to assume that the immobilizer did NOT kick in and there will be no immobilizer related issues going forward?

Rock on!

👍