The MT-07 Forum

My journey making a passenger peg delete

Mad

Hi ! This is a summary of my experience making a custom part

I started knowing how to make carbon fiber components but with no knowledge about 3D printing, cnc milling and Cad programs and I used as excuse the need for a passenger peg delete , to Learn as much as possible.

I started with this , a piece of cardboard SnaWlI7.jpg

I crate a flat piece of carbon fiber with the right fiber orientation ( the orientation of the fibers is critical in composite materials) and than I cutted this piece out .

gcFt9lv.jpgF4PoHmU.jpg

well performing and fairly good looking but was a flat pieces , I wasn’t truly convinced ...

I took it as an excuse to learn how to use a cad program , I started with fusion 360 , free ( for hobbyists) and packed with A LOT of useful tools !

this is the copy of the carbon fiber bracketf3jzhHc.jpg

I started learning the design and simulation environments 

cHoZjJY.jpg

I designed a piece easy to machine and 3D print 

bxqWvX1.jpg

It was a simple design but it was heavy and weak compared to the carbon fiber one ( 18 grams of aluminum, not much but a little too flexible, and I was sure there was a better way ) 

OwVhdfm.jpg 

So I started experimenting with topology optimization , here the first ( good) try

G1o7NSO.jpg

I even 3D printed it and it was grate and quite sturdy when mounted but too flimsy if not mounted and too easy to brake when tightening the bolts .

back to the start.. I really learned how to use the topology optimization and I finally created a decent design based on the results EpG0FYL.jpg

some minor tweaks 

5VPr8gf.jpg

Looks good to me 

less than 12 grams ( aluminum )

And very rigid , but I tested the 3D printed design and I wasn’t satisfied with the lateral stiffness....

that means ..... simulations, design, and other simulations 

Gtw04ey.jpg

c8ph3d1.jpgFwEsoNr.jpg

Looking similar ? Yes , but totally different at the same time !

16 grams , really really stiff

The orientation and size of every  “beams “ is studied 

The horizontal beams are very optimized in dimensions and so are  the ones connecting them ecc 

I took that design a little too far  ( a way to say” can hold at least a 5kg disk with no problem”  and.. “ I have really spent a lot of time on this... “ ) 

But now is time for some real world testing 

3d printed in PetG ( more or less the plastic from water bottles )

VwN08kx.jpg

x1doWT8.jpg

to be honest that is enough for anyone ,

that plastic not the most rigid but very well suited for impacts and outside use , good thermal resistance.. I tested it for months and it was good , really good!

I spent hours and hours on this project, yes it was a way to learn computer aided design .. but soo much effort was used for this ... sooooo

cnc milled from aluminum !rmeEzOO.jpg

EO3vfCG.jpgjR0GeSB.jpgTSPeamp.jpg

THE END 

P.S.

was it necessary? No , but now I’m able to make bigger projects ( a cnc milled top case support for my father’s tenere 700 may be coming) 

Was a fun experience , I probably made the best passenger peg removal bracket in the world 😂😂😂 and I learned how to use fusion 360 and how to 3d print !  

P.P.S. 

All the designs were more than enough, even when 3d printed but when I was designing I felt like a aerospace engineer and took it wayyyy too far 

Edited by Mad
  • Like 6

This is cool.

There is no such thing as wasted time if you're having fun and learning. Especially when it results in something. I've sat staring into space for so long trying to visualize a projects quantum ramifactorysubvectordeflection angles that as the planet rotated I met myself.

Time well spent. 👍

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mossrider said:

I've sat staring into space for so long that as the planet rotated I met myself.

That is poetic, (not even joking , I will reuse this with my gf )

there is something therapeutic about spending time creating a thing and even more if you go out of your way to do it 

That was time well spent.  A friend 3D printed a soap dish for me, but I really want a full rear mudguard - one of those unique designs like your bracket  (in my case, that no-one else wants!)

• Like 1

Just do it! 

• Premium Member

That's awesome!  I get a lot of crap from my buddies about the FZ-07 I'm building.  They're like, "Why don't you just go by parts everyone else has and be done with it?"

Cause I'm not like everyone else, and from your post, you aren't either.  Feels good to be different yeah?

Great job man!

:)

- Paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robbo10 said:

That was time well spent.  A friend 3D printed a soap dish for me, but I really want a full rear mudguard - one of those unique designs like your bracket  (in my case, that no-one else wants!)

Thank you! Try to make one ! Fiberglass is cheap and strong , you may be surprised of what you can do with it 

46 minutes ago, pgeldz said:

That's awesome!  I get a lot of crap from my buddies about the FZ-07 I'm building.  They're like, "Why don't you just go by parts everyone else has and be done with it?"

Cause I'm not like everyone else, and from your post, you aren't either.  Feels good to be different yeah?

Great job man!

:)

- Paul

You are taking it to the next level ! 

I was just lucky that ordering more that one pieces the cost per unit dropped enough to make sense and even happier that I was able to share the project with some friends