The MT-07 Forum

New member from Minnesota

Birdman

Hello all,

New to the forum- but certainly not to motorcycling.  Been riding since the 70's, have owned all kinds of machines.  Have done the big fast bikes, touring machines, etc.

Am now drawn to smaller, lighter bikes.  The FZ fit that- 398 lbs, great motor.  And I'm getting more friendly with the absence of a fairing.  

Like the punch and handling of the FZ07, and how easy it is to move around the garage.  

One thing I would like feedback on....as I get more inclined toward smaller bikes (physically smaller and displacement smaller), I have been drawn to the Yamaha R3.  Don't know why, but everything I read about it interests me and I have found a good deal on one nearby.  

So, talk me off the cliff.  Or not.  I would be keeping the FZ.  (but would it be a bit redundant?)

Any thoughts/advice welcomed.

Thanks, everyone.

Just now, Birdman said:

Hello all,

New to the forum- but certainly not to motorcycling.  Been riding since the 70's, have owned all kinds of machines.  Have done the big fast bikes, touring machines, etc.

Am now drawn to smaller, lighter bikes.  The FZ fit that- 398 lbs, great motor.  And I'm getting more friendly with the absence of a fairing.  

Like the punch and handling of the FZ07, and how easy it is to move around the garage.  

One thing I would like feedback on....as I get more inclined toward smaller bikes (physically smaller and displacement smaller), I have been drawn to the Yamaha R3.  Don't know why, but everything I read about it interests me and I have found a good deal on one nearby.  

So, talk me off the cliff.  Or not.  I would be keeping the FZ.  (but would it be a bit redundant?)

Any thoughts/advice welcomed.

Thanks, everyone.

The grass is fine where you're at. R3 is a fine machine, your FZ is a finer one.

Get hold of yourself, you're old enough to know better, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am all for lighter bikes now.  The R3 and MT-03 give you an engine half the size of the 07's.  I want to stave that off for as long as posiible.  The 07 is such a gem.

Just do it! 

Yah, shur.  (You betcha)   I too am from Minnesota.  Grew up there in the 60s and 70s.  I love the lighter bikes.  I've only got about 10 years total riding experience, however, but have owned 6 bikes.  The FZ is by far the best of them  hands down.  None of the others were so nimble and well balanced.  It's quick; very quick.  Nimble:  Nimble is very good.  Fuel economy is amazing, and of course Yamaha lives up to it's excellent reliability reputation. I've owned 6 Yamahas, but not all were motorcycles:  Only three of them.  My FZ07 has 15kmi on it in the two years and two months that I've owned it.  Remember this my Minnesota brother:  Studies have conclusively shown that fast MCs, like the FZs, charge up your Test, which means you stay healthier and stronger longer.  

• Like 1

First off, welcome and congrats! If I could afford it and wanted one bad enough I would treat myself. Why torture yourself dreaming about it all the time. I say put a hatchet to the wondering and buy one. I'm sure it would be a blast to ride since it'll be a little 10k rpm screamer but you may find yourself going too fast too often because of the higher power band. Something to consider if you don't want to be Joe Rocket on it all the time. GL!

Beemer

• Premium Member

Welcome to the forum. I too am from Minnesota (Oakdale). I recently bought a 2019 R3 to compliment my FZ-07. My FZ is now going to be my dedicated "track-only" bike. I've got less than 100 miles on the new R3. I was originally gonna  buy a MT-03 in the spring, but I just couldn't get past what an UGLY little bike it was.  My first impressions on the R3.... It's REALLY smooth, the engine, transmission, everything is buttery smooth. It seems a bit slower than I expected? Granted it's not broke-in, so I couldn't really get up to where the power is. The riding position seems more comfortable than I expected. I'm 50 years old, and have hardware in my neck that prohibits me from riding a "proper" sport bike on track. I think my neck can tolerate the riding position for street use. I like the R3, but if I had to have only one bike- FZ/MT-07 for the win!!!!

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"