The MT-07 Forum

Just brought a 2019 MT07

wollerms

Hello,

New member here, but have been riding motorcycles since 1977. So far really like the MT and have just put an Akrapovic titanium pipe on and sent ECU off for a reflash from 2WDW. I also changed handlebars to Renthal Ultra lows and put a radiator guard on it, next will be suspension. I ride mainly on the many curvy roads in the Smokey mountains.

I do have a question on oil as the dealer I brought it from (in south Georgia) says it takes 20W-50? That to me seems wrong, I questioned them and they stated that for our area (southeast) Yamaha has recently said to use 20W-50. So I went to a dealer near me in east Tennessee and they said same thing, now 20w-50 was 10w-40? I brought 10w-40 as day time temps currently are 50's. I haven't used 20W-50 in a motorcycle in years, what are you folks using. 

2 hours ago, 1tondriver said:

Yamaha says 15w/50 in synthetic, 20w/50 semi synthetic And Dino is 10w/40

Welcome!

Was there a service bulleten released for that?  My owners and admittedly dated service manual indicates 20w 50 is good for ambient in 50 -120f range. Probably good for Georgia?  You could do 10/50 for a little more cold weather protection but the larger the disparity in weight the less sheer stable the oil is likely to be. 

• Global Moderator

I use 20w50 in mine because I ride in Arizona summers and it's rarely below 50 here

As @YZEtc stated

We'd love to see the service bulletin if possible

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

image.thumb.png.22762afbf004631e825f5c2de66cb440.png

From 2019 MT-07 Owners Manual

Edit: I would use 10w-40 unless its consistently over 90F outside.  20w-50 is common in air cooled motors (harleys) that see oil temps of +250F. Not a real problem on liquid cooled MT-07.

Edited by geophb

34 minutes ago, geophb said:

image.thumb.png.22762afbf004631e825f5c2de66cb440.png

From 2019 MT-07 Owners Manual

Edit: I would use 10w-40 unless its consistently over 90F outside.  20w-50 is common in air cooled motors (harleys) that see oil temps of +250F. Not a real problem on liquid cooled MT-07.

Completely agree with you, that's why I brought 10w-40. I even showed dealer this page from manual.  

imherefortheride

*bought ;)

Riding since '77 and asking about oil? Boy, I've seen it all! Jk, have fun and happy riding!

FWIW, I just did an oil change on my MT07 at 15,000km (was dealer serviced at 10k by the previous owner). I noticed my shifting getting very clunky and I like to do an in between oil/filter change anyway.

I live in Brisbane Australia where it's typically 10-35 celcius (50-110) so thought I'd give 20-50 a crack, kind of hoping that thicker oil might smooth out the clunky gearbox. I used Penrite full synth 20-50. My shifts got slightly better, but I think that was just new oil. But I also felt like my clutch wasn't as smooth off the line as before. It may have also been placebo, but the bike felt... slower?

I gave it a few days and wasn't happy with it, so I drained it out (kept it for my 1988 Honda Bros), and refilled with Sikolene 10-40 full synth. Shifting was the same (better than before the change), and the clutch action returned to normal. Again, this could have been placebo but the bike once again felt more lively.

I went in expecting to be a thick oil convert. But I came out being a thin oil convert.

I've never noticed a difference between the two weights, but have learned the hard way to make absolutely sure to keep the oil level in the center of the oil site glass.  Another cup of oil covers that window and the result is hard shifting, especially when hot, after the oil has expanded, increasing the volume even further above spec.  It's a common mistake people make with motorcycles, thinking that a tad high won't hurt.  It hurts!

I've been using conventional Yamalube 10w-40 since Day 1. I get every oil change analyzed by Blackstone labs and my oil reports are always perfect. They always comment how my wear particles are way below the averages seen on their database. According to the oil reports, viscosity does start to break down around 3k miles, so that's where I decided to do my oil changes. 

When it's getting time to change the oil I do notice that shifting gets noticeably stiffer, but only when the engine is cold. 

Welcome in, and congrats on the new bike!

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1