The MT-07 Forum

ABS pump problem diagnosis and help

ilikegladpandas

ilikegladpandas

Hey guys.

So I have a weird whistling sound coming from the bike somewhere underneath me. I did some research and it seems that everyone with the same problem reports a faulty ABS pump.

I took the bike to the dealer to try to get it covered under warranty, but they are telling me that they are unable to find a problem on any of their diagnostic machines, but that it is definately making a weird noise.

I was hoping that someone here has had a similar issue that was fixed by the dealer and if it was known how they eventually found the problem. 

When does it whistle? When key on engine off? only when engine is running? constantly/when riding? or?

I find it hard to believe its the abs pump. Unless its only when you first start it or when ABS is activated (hard braking), as that is when the abs pump is actually doing something. 

ilikegladpandas
4 hours ago, geophb said:

When does it whistle? When key on engine off? only when engine is running? constantly/when riding? or?

I find it hard to believe its the abs pump. Unless its only when you first start it or when ABS is activated (hard braking), as that is when the abs pump is actually doing something. 

It happens when the bike is moving and when it is shifting from second into third. No braking is required. Sounds like air quickly escaping. It makes the same sound and has the same symptoms as a few other guys (there is a video on YouTube). They're ABS pumps were replaced by the dealer and thr problem was resolved. My dealer is known to be fairly incompetent though, and can't find the issue, so I thought I'd ask the forum if someone knew exactly how the issue was diagnosed

• Premium Member

EU or USA spec bike?? 

I have heard EU bikes airbox "noise damping" flapper thingmajiggy can make a whistle noise

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Seems like that is what it is then. If it is a consistently repeatable noise, I am surprised the dealer didn't just unplug it to test if the noise goes away.  That would confirm the issue. 

Hopefully its warranty, abs module is about $500! *fingers crossed*

They may hit you with a "Everything operates as intended, there's nothing to warranty" even though its down there screamin like a tea kettle.

ilikegladpandas
10 minutes ago, geophb said:

Seems like that is what it is then. If it is a consistently repeatable noise, I am surprised the dealer didn't just unplug it to test if the noise goes away.  That would confirm the issue. 

Hopefully its warranty, abs module is about $500! *fingers crossed*

They may hit you with a "Everything operates as intended, there's nothing to warranty" even though its down there screamin like a tea kettle.

Yeah. Its under warranty, but they're still jerking me around. It's horrible. Shoulda taken it 2 hours to the next closest shop.

• Global Moderator

if the dealer can replicate the sound and say its not a warranty issue,  they're full of shet

contact yamaha, it's a braking system issue( aka major liability to them) 
they'll get it handled

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

ilikegladpandas
2 hours ago, sorkyah said:

if the dealer can replicate the sound and say its not a warranty issue,  they're full of shet

contact yamaha, it's a braking system issue( aka major liability to them) 
they'll get it handled

The warranty is third party. Would contacting Yamaha still help?

• Global Moderator
3 hours ago, ilikegladpandas said:

The warranty is third party. Would contacting Yamaha still help?

maybe?  maybe not, its worth a shot...

but definitely get in touch with the warranty company to see what they can do

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

ilikegladpandas

Update: I have been told that there is nothing wrong with the bike and that the sound is completely normal. When I insisted that it wasn't normal they told me they were refusing to work on the bike and told me to come pick it up.

I went to pick up the bike and they hadn't even taken the seat off to try to diagnose anything. Whatever, so I drive the bike home (by this point it is dark).

Upon getting off the bike I notice that I'm kind of sticking to the bike and my jeans kinda peel off the tank. Inspecting the bike I discover that the entirety of the bike is completely covered in spray adhesive.

After 2 hours of washing the bike I think I finally got it off. Needless to say, I will not be bringing my bike back there or supporting them in any way.

• 1 year later...
On 11/19/2019 at 7:47 PM, ilikegladpandas said:

Update: I have been told that there is nothing wrong with the bike and that the sound is completely normal. When I insisted that it wasn't normal they told me they were refusing to work on the bike and told me to come pick it up.

I went to pick up the bike and they hadn't even taken the seat off to try to diagnose anything. Whatever, so I drive the bike home (by this point it is dark).

Upon getting off the bike I notice that I'm kind of sticking to the bike and my jeans kinda peel off the tank. Inspecting the bike I discover that the entirety of the bike is completely covered in spray adhesive.

After 2 hours of washing the bike I think I finally got it off. Needless to say, I will not be bringing my bike back there or supporting them in any way.

Geez. What a garbage dealership. 

On 11/19/2019 at 7:47 PM, ilikegladpandas said:

Needless to say, I will not be bringing my bike back there or supporting them in any way.

The dealer deserves a black eye. Feel free to state their name, what city. They earned a bad review.

• 5 months later...

Okay so this is a noise I hear on my 17 FZ-07 (can spec)  

Has anyone figured out exactly what causes it it definitely has to be sourced to the ABS. Secondly can it be remedied. And lastly is this a problem that should be fixed or is it not that big of a deal. 

• 7 months later...
Mac Tech 07

I’m on my third ABS pump, they are crap. When replaced they are silent for months then it starts quietly beeping on gear shifting on the low 1-2 for a few months then screams at you in the low gears. Also the rear brake foot pedal feels a bit more clicky/mechanical when ABS the abs pump screams. 

I was wondering if any other model would fit and work any better? Like possibly a mt125 ABS pump look similar just a different part number, there a few others with same looking ABS pumps.

sweetscience

This is disconcerting.  What brand is the ABS?   Sorry I don't have the bike yet, as I'll be picking up the MT in a few weeks.  IIRC, the  Kawasaki's use Bosch ABS.