The MT-07 Forum

Problem trying to get Front Brake Fluid Started

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe

I was replacing forks so I had my front brakes and brake lines completely disconnected off the front. Well, now it is time to put everything back together and I can't seem to get the brake fluid started.

I have tried the regular bleeding process to no avail. At this point, I have disconnected the end of the brake line where it connects with the first caliper, and I can't seem to get the fluid out of the master cylinder with the lines attached. Trying it like the pics below:

sUgOhvg.jpg9bbziDn.jpg

Now, I did find a tip online, which you can see here:

image.png.c41d9e6e2b0272ab1fd9db625eca9781.png

This was successful. So it is not like the master cylinder is plugged, I just can't start it through the line. Do I need a vacuum bleeder or something?

Any tips?

NRWhiteKnight

If you are trying to bleed them with the caliper ends off, this will just pull air back into the lines when the lever is released. I suggest re-attaching them to the calipers, or place the ends in a can of brake fluid so that they are submerged and not exposed to air. It may take some time to get all the air out. If you have a vacuum bleeder, that will help if you re-attach the lines to the calipers. Make sure that the bleeder valves are fully closed when you release the lever so air does not creep back into the lines. Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

Any time I need to move some fluid, such as an initial fill, refilling or flushing a system its power bleeder all the way. Soooooo much easier than lever pumping a system. If I'm just bleeding a system it's a little different. It doesn't have to be an expensive one either, I use this little devil;

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/vacuum-pump-brake-bleed-kit/oemtools-vacuum-pump/70116_0_0 

Put everything back together and pull a vacuum on it, keep the resivoir full and take your time. Patience and perseverance are your friends.

Remember even a new system moves very little fluid per lever stroke, let alone a slightly worn system. A less than perfect one moves so little fluid per lever stroke it may not overcome all the drains, pulls, leaks, back pressures, and hocu pocus in the system. Frickin brakes can be the most mystic system on a bike. Simple only on the engineers laptop. 

• Thanks 1

AlbatrossCafe

Ok, don't laugh but no joke I reattached everything and literally SUCKED the fluid into the hoses using clean vinyl tubing in the bleeder until it came out of the last bleeder. Never actually touched any fluid to my mouth... but the taste was awful LOL. Was hoping that I could get lucky, and I DID!!!

After a few iterations of the regular bleeding process it is starting to feel normal again. Gross, but it worked. Worth it...?😎😘

Edited by AlbatrossCafe

Just now, AlbatrossCafe said:

Ok, don't laugh but no joke I reattached everything and literally SUCKED the fluid into the hoses using clean vinyl tubing in the bleeder until it came out of the last bleeder. Never actually touched any fluid to my mouth... but the taste was awful LOL. Was hoping that I could get lucky. Still no pressure 😎😘

Gonna have to get money for that vacuum bleeder like @mossrider recommended. Probably makes bleeding car brakes by yourself easier anyway. Thanks.

It's that second 'loop' line over the fender from one caliper to the other. There will be a tiny embolism at the top of it that the crappy amount of fluid moverd by the lever alone has a tough time displacing. Same thing can happen inside the top of the calipers. All hail MityVac or equivalent. 😉

• Haha 1