The MT-07 Forum

Headlight Issues, Please Help!

NateDNW

Hey all,

I recently recovered from a broken foot and two torn ligaments in my foot... i give the context because it means that i didnt ride my bike for 10 weeks while i was in boots, couldn’t walk, etc.

When i went to ride my bike for the first time last week, i noticed that the headlight was out.  I know these bikes have a circuit that cuts the headlight out if the battery voltage is low so I threw it on a trickle charger over night and tried it again the next day... nothing.  Ordered a new light which came in yesterday and the headlight still doesnt turn on.  The passing light works but the light will not turn on when the bike is running and the high beam wont turn on with the high beam switch, the only thing that kicks it on is the passing switch. I checked all the fuses and everything looks good. 

So basically, when i ran the bike three months ago, the headlight worked just fine... the bike sat for 11-12 weeks and now the headlight doesnt turn on at all.  The bike is a ‘16 FZ-07 and the bulb is an aftermarket LED.  Any ideas would be super helpful! 

• Premium Member

hang on... before you spend too much $$. Replace the headlight fuse. Unless you checked the fuse with a multimeter, you can't be sure it's good. 

And if you have a mutlimeter check for voltage at the headlight socket.

Good Luck resolving your issue. 🤞

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

8 hours ago, DewMan said:

hang on... before you spend too much $$. Replace the headlight fuse. Unless you checked the fuse with a multimeter, you can't be sure it's good. 

And if you have a mutlimeter check for voltage at the headlight socket.

Good Luck resolving your issue. 🤞

Thank you!  I do have a multimeter but i also have boxes of fuses so I might as well just throw one in there to be sure. 

• Global Moderator

There are two fuses for the headlight

Check the signal fuse and the headlight fuse 

Signal sends power to the relay coil for the headlight 

Also, are the tailights/turn signals working?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Alright, thanks guys for the input.  After spending a very long evening last night with my multi-meter and the worlds most poorly drawn wiring diagram, i figured out the issue!  If anyone else every has this issue, hopefully this might help.  It was not the battery, or any of the fuses, which were all working quite well.  

The culprit turned out to be a broken high-low switch pictured below.  The switch itself was not Missing like it is in the picture, i accidentally broke it off while taking the unit off the handlebars.  I went down to a local Yamaha parts supplier who happened to have a replacement.  Got the replacement in, installed it, and the headlight fired right up!  I never would have guessed that an issue in the switch would cause the headlight to fail altogether, so i was a bit surprised when i found that with the multi-meter. 

C5DCA3FA-9C7B-4AD1-96A3-6308A112DFA2.jpeg

• Like 3

• Global Moderator

nice,
good to know for future diagnostics

14 hours ago, sorkyah said:

There are two fuses for the headlight

Check the signal fuse and the headlight fuse 

Signal sends power to the relay coil for the headlight 

A digression please?

Are high and low beam fused separately?
Going into Cambodia soon where daytime lights on bikes is 'illegal' so I would like the option to switch off or disable high or low beam.

• Global Moderator
52 minutes ago, mickba said:

A digression please?

Going into Cambodia soon where daytime lights on bikes is 'illegal' so I would like the option to switch off or disable high or low beam.

they are not on the 14-17
as i dont have a service manual for the 18+ im not sure if its the same
the signal fuse is used for turn signals, taillamp, the small lamp builb under the headlight and the front DRLs on the signals
it also supplies power to the headlamp relay when the motor is running
the headlamp fuse handles the load of the lamp low/high

your best bet might be to pull the headlamp fuse when entering the country
or disable one of the two switch outputs

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mickba said:

A digression please?

So I will preface this comment with a massive warning... do not attempt!  

Are you based in the us or abroad?  If you are based out of the states, what state are you out of?  For example, I know that in Oregon, my home state, what I am about to suggest is technically very illegal.... but I will not pretend to know what the regulations are where you live.  Having said that, it is not overly complicated to wire a switch into your harness that cuts the headlight entirely, when the switch is engaged.  Unfortunately, as sorkyah mentioned, on the 14-17 models, they are not fused separately.  So unless you want to remove your seat and remove the fuses during the daytime/at night, that might not be the best option for ya.  If you have a day or two to work on the bike before your trip, i will tell you that its not super difficult to wire in a switch to kill the headlights.  You can even mount it on the switch module that i pictured above. 

I havent personally done this, so I dont want to send you down the wrong path and will not tell you exactly how to do it, but as an electrical engineer, and after studying the wiring harness for an evening, I can tell you for sure that it is not hard to do.  Also, after a quick google search, I found several solutions that I think are viable so if I were you, i would start there.

33 minutes ago, NateDNW said:

So I will preface this comment with a massive warning... do not attempt!  

Are you based in the us or abroad?  

........................after studying the wiring harness for an evening, I can tell you for sure that it is not hard to do.  Also, after a quick google search, I found several solutions that I think are viable so if I were you, i would start there.

Sorry, no I'm not in US I'm in Thailand and, as I said, I'm riding into Cambodia soon, where daylight running lights on bikes are illegal.
I've done it before on a D-Tracker by fitting a handlebar switch to disable low beam (can still flash H/L) and I'll probably do the same again.
I just wondered if they were fused separately so that I could just pull a fuse or fit a switch at the fuse box (just made the ABS switchable same way).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited by mickba
sp