The MT-07 Forum

Removing & Replacing Coolant Hard Lines

1tondriver

Any tips for removing and replacing the coolant hard lines? I want to strip them and paint or just polish the aluminum and leave natural. I don’t have the manual so any advice is appreciated! TIA

1 minute ago, bugsinteeth said:

was me, I'd have em powder coated maybe ?

That’s a possibility @bugsinteeth because they look like crap now. 

Have you removed them without taking off water pump cover? I think there are gaskets for the ends going into the cover. Not sure which end I should try to pull out first, clamped end or end into cover. 

18 hours ago, bugsinteeth said:

nope, never have, drain the system, gripit and ripit LOL

Well with no other posts I guess this is what it’s going to be. Bike might be sitting for a long while with no coolant but I can’t imagine that can hurt anything. 

On 11/2/2019 at 4:33 PM, 1tondriver said:

Any tips for removing and replacing the coolant hard lines? I want to strip them and paint or just polish the aluminum and leave natural. I don’t have the manual so any advice is appreciated! TIA

This is not a "Tech Tip" it is a "tech Question". So I'm moving this to the problems and answers section. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

This is not a "Tech Tip" it is a "tech Question". So I'm moving this to the problems and answers section. 

My bad. Thanks 👍

• Like 1

• Premium Member

There is an o-ring on the water pump side on each of cooling lines. You can see it on the parts fiche at www.bikebandit.com 

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

3 hours ago, cornerslider said:

There is an o-ring on the water pump side if each cooling lines. You can see it on the parts fiche at www.bikebandit.com 

Thanks for that. Can they be re used with 3k on the odometer do you think? 

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, 1tondriver said:

Thanks for that. Can they be re used with 3k on the odometer do you think? 

I would think if they don't get damaged during the removal, you should be good to go 😎. May put a little lube/grease on the o-ring during installation-

• Thanks 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I messed around with the lines while doing a coolant change today and I think it will be a real PITA to take them off without removing the water pump cover. The rubber hoses are so short and stiff (cold weather doesn’t help) that I am either going to get a gasket for the cover and take it off so I have some room to work with or just leave the hard lines alone till I can’t stand it anymore. Trying to work the hoses off the hard lines was not happening today. I have not refilled the coolant so I may still take them off if I go that route. 

• Global Moderator
17 hours ago, 1tondriver said:

I messed around with the lines while doing a coolant change today and I think it will be a real PITA to take them off without removing the water pump cover. The rubber hoses are so short and stiff (cold weather doesn’t help) that I am either going to get a gasket for the cover and take it off so I have some room to work with or just leave the hard lines alone till I can’t stand it anymore. Trying to work the hoses off the hard lines was not happening today. I have not refilled the coolant so I may still take them off if I go that route. 

You could always drop the radiator to give more flexibility 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Take some pics if you do get around to doing this of how the pipes come off etc, I have the rattle can at the ready to refurb mine.

2 hours ago, sorkyah said:

You could always drop the radiator to give more flexibility 

I am going to take a look at that option also, thanks for the suggestion!

59 minutes ago, Jord said:

Take some pics if you do get around to doing this of how the pipes come off etc, I have the rattle can at the ready to refurb mine.

Will do. I know how they come out but not the best way to do it. If I can do it without buying gaskets I will be happy. 

• Global Moderator

My suggestion is to buy the gaskets.  I would be surprised if reusing the old ones did got work, but if you have a leak you will have wished you had paid a few bucks now. 

34 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

My suggestion is to buy the gaskets.  I would be surprised if reusing the old ones did got work, but if you have a leak you will have wished you had paid a few bucks now. 

Your probably right and removing the cover is going to be the easiest way to do this. If it is above freezing tomorrow I am going to give it a shot. 
On another note I need a decent inexpensive heater for the garage. Not looking for T shirt heat but something to take the biting edge off. 

Once I had a little lowsider crash and needed a new waterpump cover. I forgot to buy a new gasket, reused the old one with fresh grease, no problem since two years. Its just a rubber ring. But of course, a new one is always better. 
Its not a big deal, dont forget to clean the areas with contact to seals / gaskets. 

IMG_20180822_200026.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Global Moderator
4 hours ago, 1tondriver said:

Your probably right and removing the cover is going to be the easiest way to do this. If it is above freezing tomorrow I am going to give it a shot. 
On another note I need a decent inexpensive heater for the garage. Not looking for T shirt heat but something to take the biting edge off. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TKDQ5C/

2 of these and you'll be nearly at tshirt weather

• Global Moderator

you said inexpensive so thats what i went with.
those would work great... except they're meant for outdoor use.... CO gas and the like

theres this one that came to mind immediately

we used it in the shop at work when the waste-oil heaters took a shet
thing pumped out enough heat to blister the paint on the toolbox next to it. (glad it wasnt mine.)

59448939-4e9d-4031-84b7-bcbd065658a7_1.b

Free 2-day shipping. Buy Dyna-Glo Delux RMC-FA40DGD 40,000 BTU LP Forced Air Heater at Walmart.com

• Like 1

These are fine for temporary indoor use, we use them in our fish houses and garages all winter around these parts. 

If I loose a bit of coolant doing this isit ok to top back up with DI water or do I need to buy coolant too?