The MT-07 Forum

Coolant pipe refurb

Jord

I bought some rust-oleum satin black to refurb my coolant pipes, my original plan was to mask up and fully cover the side of the bike apart from the pipes and spray them on the bike, but after a closer look I don’t think it’s possible. How much of a job isit to remove the coolant pipes, I don’t want to be messing about with bleeding the cooling system 

25136E4E-AD04-4DDA-BB31-A23E6F82B7E2.jpeg

6D952F51-5D3B-4579-957B-5A4FB65E2755.jpeg

• Premium Member

Drain the coolant out of the coolant drain (by the water pump). Remove the coolant pipes for painting. Reinstall coolant pipes, drain bolt, and refill coolant at the radiator cap. Run the bike 30 seconds, that should “burb out” any air pockets (most likely there will be none). Secure radiator cap, and your done ✅. It is REALLY that easy on our bikes 😎👍🏼.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member

Forgot to mention to remove the radiator cap before the drain bolt, Otherwise it can get air locked-

• Thanks 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Just reading your post again, do you mean after filling radiator I should run it for 30 seconds with the radiator cap off? 

Yep, it may take another half cup or so of coolant as it warms and 'burps'. Then just reinstall the cap.

(Remember the small Allen set screw in the cap)

😀

• Thanks 1

Going to put this on my winter list. I think I am going to scotch brite them to silver and drain the reservoir also and refill with engine ice. Thanks for posting 👍

11 hours ago, Jord said:

I bought some rust-oleum satin black to refurb my coolant pipes, my original plan was to mask up and fully cover the side of the bike apart from the pipes and spray them on the bike, but after a closer look I don’t think it’s possible. How much of a job isit to remove the coolant pipes, I don’t want to be messing about with bleeding the cooling system 

25136E4E-AD04-4DDA-BB31-A23E6F82B7E2.jpeg

6D952F51-5D3B-4579-957B-5A4FB65E2755.jpeg

Test that bbq black on a piece of something before you commit to pulling the pipes off. I've used that stuff in the past ( pretty sure it's the same stuff, but I'm not positive) and the finish was very dull,gritty and chalky. Rubbing  against it left blacky, powdery spots on my hands and clothes.  Read the can, too, as it might need more heat to cure than the coolant pipes will produce. If so, it will REALLY be chalky then. Some of that stuff won't really cure at all until you run it, making it nearly impossible to reinstall the parts without smudges and fingerprints.

Just a heads up!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up. Il give it a test. I hope it is the right stuff, I could of got a lot cheaper paint but I bought this so to do the job tidy 😕

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

If you check under tech tips on this forum you will see the “How to” steps to flush and fill the coolant for our bike. It was  created by one of our members and I found it very helpful. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right. Test piece of aluminium sprayed with the rust oleum and dried on the radiator and it’s mint, not chalky at all. Next dry wether I get I’m spraying the pipes. Hold tight for the pics! 

5D0A58BC-CCDA-4C6E-8CBF-0B47AAA6613A.jpeg

• Like 1