The MT-07 Forum

Aprilia RS 660

Geteup

It shows up now on the Aprilia websites home page. Having owned a 2010 V-twin Tuono for 6 years this could end up in my garage.

https://www.aprilia.com/us_EN/

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/12/2019 at 5:19 AM, wollerms said:

It shows up now on the Aprilia websites home page. Having owned a 2010 V-twin Tuono for 6 years this could end up in my garage.

https://www.aprilia.com/us_EN/

They have also just officially announced the Tuono 660 for 2021. I  think  I may be more excited about this than any other bike this year.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Took an RS660 out for a demo ride yesterday... It truly is the goldilocks bike for me. I haven't ridden a lot of high end bikes, but I have never even sat on a bike that feels as good as this one. Ergos sit about halfway between an FZ07 and a typical 600 sport bike, just leaning to the sportier side. The seat is pretty soft for a sport bike and seems more comfortable but also more sporty than the FZ07 seat. 

This bike is damn smooth. The handling is ridiculously light and nimble, and feels way more stable and planted than the FZ. Maybe it's the shitty suspension on my bike but this blew me away, felt better than any bike I've ever ridden and the last sport bike I rode was a Panigale 959...

I might be desensitized by the infuriatingly quiet FZ07 stock exhaust, but the RS660 sounds pretty damn good in stock trim once you get on the throttle. Took it through a little highway tunnel run and couldn't help but giggle. 

The low end power isn't as punchy as the FZ07, but it comes on like a two stroke higher up. Giving it the beans off the line, it feels a bit lacking compared to what I'm used to, but around 6000 rpm it just turns ON and the front wont stay down. The rider modes are pretty nice, very easy to adjust and change on the fly, super easy to get used to. As soon as I got on the road I could feel the AWC kicking in, turned that off right away ;)

It might not have the outright hp of an inline 4 600, but it comes on much sooner in a more useable and legal way... Riding around the city you can wring it out in first, zip around with some pep in 2nd, or chill in 3rd or 4th very comfortably. This bike just ticks all the boxes and I'm having a hard time thinking of any bike more suited for the street and still as capable on the odd track day. 

It is a bit higher priced than the FZ07, but compared to any other bike in its class it blows them all away with what you get for it. The only hesitation I'm feeling is the Italian maintenance and service cost... We'll see what pops up when people start figuring out the bugs and the aftermarket scene catches up. 

I am excited for this bike. The only thing that has made me feel like maybe it could replace my FZ.....

• Like 2

I'm 90% in on buying the grey 660 tuono version once it becomes available in US. Tuning is probably a little different with more low end.  I would not worry on maintenance as my 2010 V-twin Tuono was bulletproof for the 18,000 miles I put on it. I got all my parts from AF1 racing in Austin Tx. and did all servicing myself. One cool thing my 2010 had was multiple tuning maps already loaded in ECU.  I removed the stock exhaust and installed aftermarket one, rode it to the dealer I purchased it from and for 40 bucks they switch to the "race" map, bike ran great. I'm curious if these 660's have that feature.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 4:23 PM, wollerms said:

multiple tuning maps already loaded in ECU.  I removed the stock exhaust and installed aftermarket one, rode it to the dealer I purchased it from and for 40 bucks they switch to the "race" map, bike ran great

The 660 has 3 ride mode selections, "Commute, Dynamic, Individual" basically rain mode, sport mode, and fully customizable mode with options for throttle response/engine braking, traction control, cornering abs, anti-wheelie etc. Idk if this is what you mean by mapping but the modes are easy to change on the fly