The MT-07 Forum

2019 FZ-07 Oil consumption and Stalling

Decarnate

Hi Everyone.

How Oil does your bike consume between the 6000 KM oil change interval?

I got a 2019 FZ/MT 07 earlier this year. I'm at 7000 KMs currently.

After my first service, when i hit around 3000 KM, I noticed i couldn't see any oil in my sight glass...  my dealer chalked it up to not putting enough oil in so they topped it off... by the time i hit 6000K, again... no visible oil. both times they said they put about 300 ML of oil in to top it off, contacted their Yamaha Rep and said its normal for the bike to consume about 2/10ths of a bottle (200 ml) per 2-3 Kilometers.

By the time I hit 6600, again, my sight glass was empty, they put about 3/4 of a bottle of oil into it. about 350 KM's later, they put about 60% of a bottle of oil into it...

The last top off happened this past Friday.When i left, the oil was at the top of the glass. Drove about 30 KM to my friends house, and it was at half the sight glass.. drove back home in the morning and again, no visible oil.

There are so visible signs of a leak... if it was a leak, that's a lot of oil to go unnoticed, and the exhaust doesn't have a blue tint to it.

Its also started to stall randomly, sometimes i'll pull in the clutch and while it idles, the Tac jumps around a bit then it will eventually stall. After this point I'm not longer able to start the bike unless i give it throttle while holding the starter.

Crazy thing is I've had this Exact thing happen with my 2017 R3

Has anyone encountered anything like this?  I have videos i can post if necessary

Take it back to a different 'reputable dealer'. First off, it shouldn't use any appreciable amount of oil between changes. Secondly it seems yours is getting progressively worse. And now you have starting and running issues. If this is the case you have some kind of mechanical issue that needs attention. 

Dealers/reps will tell people that, 'a certain amount of oil consumption is normal', but this is a customer service corporate hard line and not accurate. A certain amount of oil consumption may be acceptable by a manufacturers specifications and tolerances but normally no oil use between services is normal. Considering modern manufacturing materials and processes, a modern engine in good working condition will use no oil.  

Good luck.

Has anybody taken a look at the air filter?

When you look at the oil level window, is the bike being held vertical or is it on the side stand?

Edited by YZEtc

21 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Take it back to a different 'reputable dealer'. First off, it shouldn't use any appreciable amount of oil between changes. Secondly it seems yours is getting progressively worse. And now you have starting and running issues. If this is the case you have some kind of mechanical issue that needs attention. 

Dealers/reps will tell people that, 'a certain amount of oil consumption is normal', but this is a customer service corporate hard line and not accurate. A certain amount of oil consumption may be acceptable by a manufacturers specifications and tolerances but normally no oil use between services is normal. Considering modern manufacturing materials and processes, a modern engine in good working condition will use no oil.  

Good luck.

I don't really have any different "reputable" dealers in the area, just licensed motorcycle mechanic shops. one of which is a family friend who advised me to create a paper trail by making Them give me an invoices, recording the amount of oil they put in and the kilometres between top ups to keep a paper trail. I could perhaps take it to a Honda/Harley dealership, that's about all i have around in my area without a 3 hour drive.

They currently have the bike, and plan on getting their Yamaha Rep to come down and look at it... what they'll do or say is to be determined... 

again I'm just really weirded out as i had this Exact thing happen with my R3, albeit the stalling issue was a little more prominent, but i can only assume it'll get worse over time

15 minutes ago, YZEtc said:

Has anybody taken a look at the air filter?

When you look at the oil level window, is the bike being held vertical or is it on the side stand?

Not to my knowledge about the air filter, i assume they're going to poke and prod at it over the week...

and yes its vertical, to the best of my ability. i get on my knees with the kickstand up and try to find the balance point on my bike and look at the sight glass. i know tilting it either way will effect the reading. I know its not "Perfect" but its pretty damn close.

Definitely sounds suss considering the amount of oil that's been put into it. The stalling thing is a worry too, and weird you had it happen to your R3. Have you tallied up how much oil in total has gone in?

• Premium Member

I am curious if the dealer claims they put oil into the machine when in fact they did not. Put the bike on a stand so it is level and read the glass. Add oil yourself and then recheck.

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Ive noticed with my bike (2019 MT07) that even the slightest off-center/upright is almost a full sight glass in reading error.

I try to balance it with a couple fingers to check level.

Seems like maybe dealer checks/fills with it on side stand. Then OP checks it the correct way and then its ofcourse way low. 

BTW checking on a rear stand also reads high on my bike.  The only way is: upright/balancing and both wheels down. Or maybe with a front and rear stand, but I only have a rear one. 😐

Edit: As reference my level doesn't drop even the slightest in 2k mi. And I rip on it pretty good too.

Edited by geophb

• Premium Member

10K miles on a 2015, and have never seen oil levels drop and she gets rode hard and put away wet.

• Global Moderator

36k on my 2015, I've never had an issue with consumption

Had an oil leak from the waterpump/clutch cover but even then it wasn't that much of drop in level

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Use a piece of 2x4 wood under the kickstand to help make it easier-

Oil level is checked when bike is near vertical but after letting the engine run for a min or two then letting it settle for a min or When it's running the oil lvl( my preference) it should be slightly above half full...

This is really weird it's happened to 2 different bikes- something ain't right...

-- on the left side of airbox there is a rubber plug underneath- pull that plug and see what comes out 😬

Oil is either burned off in which you would smell it pretty darn good after almost 3 bottles have been put in to keep oil lvl up... They never actually added oil... Or the oil did get added and it totally overfilled it which would cause it to run like crap since all the extra oil is now hanging out in the airbox...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

If you can't find any oil sticking to the bike and it is not smoking then it only has two places left to go. Into the cooling system or out the pcv line back to the airbox. As mentioned check the airbox for a quart of oil or take a peak at the cooling system. In either case your bike is headed for warranty work. Get it to a Yamaha dealer and have them fix it.

• Global Moderator

36k on my 2015, I've never had an issue with consumption

Had an oil leak from the waterpump/clutch cover but even then it wasn't that much of drop in level

As for checking it I've attached the service manual instructions 

Screenshot_20191029-143911.png

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

On 10/28/2019 at 10:38 PM, paxx said:

If you can't find any oil sticking to the bike and it is not smoking then it only has two places left to go. Into the cooling system or out the pcv line back to the airbox. As mentioned check the airbox for a quart of oil or take a peak at the cooling system. In either case your bike is headed for warranty work. Get it to a Yamaha dealer and have them fix it.

Thank you everyone. This seems to be the most helpful answer I've got. but i appreciate the input.. Mainly concerned about everyone else oil consumption as well, this is clearly ridiculous.

I know they're putting Oil in it as Bring my bike to them, Tell them its low on oil, as i check... They add oil (I know they do because i check my bike the same way before entering the building and leaving, reading a sight glass isn't rocket science, especially on this scale of oil loss)

The dealer told me they'd get their Yamaha rep into look at it. 4 days later i get a call, and apparently he can't drive 2 hours to see my bike until his schedule is free in 2 weeks time, but he recommended putting in full synthetic and seeing how that goes... so my dealer has swapped the oil for synthetic and replaced the filter, i have a feeling its going to do diddly squat. 

Im going to see them tomorrow morning and ask if they've checked my airbax/cooliing system before i take it back... honestly if that's where the oils going im gonna be a little bit pissed that their certified yamaha mechanic didn't think/care to check that out prior to me bringing it up. Thanks for the info Paxx

for what its worth i shall keep you all updated, for those who care, and for those who may experience a similar problem in the future.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2019 at 7:37 PM, Decarnate said:

Thank you everyone. This seems to be the most helpful answer I've got. but i appreciate the input.. Mainly concerned about everyone else oil consumption as well, this is clearly ridiculous.

I know they're putting Oil in it as Bring my bike to them, Tell them its low on oil, as i check... They add oil (I know they do because i check my bike the same way before entering the building and leaving, reading a sight glass isn't rocket science, especially on this scale of oil loss)

The dealer told me they'd get their Yamaha rep into look at it. 4 days later i get a call, and apparently he can't drive 2 hours to see my bike until his schedule is free in 2 weeks time, but he recommended putting in full synthetic and seeing how that goes... so my dealer has swapped the oil for synthetic and replaced the filter, i have a feeling its going to do diddly squat. 

Im going to see them tomorrow morning and ask if they've checked my airbax/cooliing system before i take it back... honestly if that's where the oils going im gonna be a little bit pissed that their certified yamaha mechanic didn't think/care to check that out prior to me bringing it up. Thanks for the info Paxx

for what its worth i shall keep you all updated, for those who care, and for those who may experience a similar problem in the future.

So how did things turn out?

56 minutes ago, paxx said:

So how did things turn out?

Ive only been able to run about 100 KM's on it since the synthetic oil has been put in, so far there has been no noticeable change in the oil level. its getting colder and shittier here, running out of days to ride

if you do not see it in the coolant, it's burning it, period....no place else for it to go man......

• Premium Member

have you drained the airbox via the rubber cap underneath the airbox on the left side(sitting on bike)??? That's an easy way to see if oil is getting pushed into airbox... The airbox can hold quite a bit of oil till it fills up enough to spill down the intake tubes inside the airbox... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW