The MT-07 Forum

Scrap or Fix ?

zoomist

Got in a wreck with my first bike last year, should I scrap this bike or fix it up? I've got a budget of under $2000.  I don't have the tools or the skill to fix it,  although I wouldn't mind trying. What do you guys recommend? It's a 2017 ABS model idk if that would affect the cost or complexity of the repair. I basically have to replace the whole front end of the bike. 

Thanks guys

Link to photos of the bike.

https://imgur.com/a/CBt5u4A

Edited by zoomist

Looks to me like it can be fixed within your budget with you doing the work and finding some parts from another parts bike. 

• Premium Member

Based on what you wrote, and looking at the pictures, I'd walk away from it.... The ABS unit is tucked inside the frame, and likely not damaged, but it looks like the front brake reservoir did get damaged. I'm assuming you have insurance? My guess is for insurance purposes, it's "totaled"? If you don't have insurance, there are other options. There are usually club racers that look to buy crashed bikes, to turn them into track bikes (as long as the frame is straight). Racers generally don't use the majority of the parts that got wrecked on your bike. They tear them down, and put race bodywork on, clip-ons, and such. If the frame/forks are straight, and the wheels are "true", you could probably get $2K-$3K for it to the right buyer. Good luck!

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

man i really didn't want to hear that but, i have no insurance, where do you recommend i throw a posting for it up at? i actually took the front brake reservoir off idk why, i was just kinda messing with it seeing if it was damaged. i just drained i guess the only reason why was because i figured i have to replace the whole front end anyways. idk even know where to start if i were to try fixing it myself

Edited by zoomist

If the forks and front wheel are ok, not mollycogged or bent, you'd only need a guage cluster, handlebars, headlight, some controls and some random cosmetic pieces. Depending on your level of OCD you could do without some of the cosmetic stuff. I'm more concerned with what's leaking/dripping under the motor?  Some folks don't care about the rash, some do.

To put it back to 'as new' would be expensive. If you're ok living with some 'character' you'd be well under 2g.

I'd fix it, my $.02

Edit

After re-reading your first post and now your second, I'd have to say that unless you have a good friend with experience and a good set of tools you don't have much choice. This is not a good beginners first project for safety reasons.  

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 1

I have some of the stock parts you would need that I would cut you a good deal on to help a brother out if you go that route. Pull the forks and see if they are bent. 

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, zoomist said:

man i really didn't want to hear that but, i have no insurance, where do you recommend i throw a posting for it up at? i actually took the front brake reservoir off idk why, i was just kinda messing with it seeing if it was damaged. i just drained i guess the only reason why was because i figured i have to replace the whole front end anyways. idk even know where to start if i were to try fixing it myself

I would contact one of the moderators on this forum about posting in the "classifieds" section on this forum. You are supposed to have 25 posts before you're allowed to post items for sale. They might make an exception given your situation? (It doesn't hurt to ask) You could also maybe post in the "Track Talk" section about a possible "track build" bike? I'd contact one of the moderators and get it cleared with them first. They are pretty good at helping out. Sorry to hear of your situation. Good luck-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

first thing I'd do is find a place that can check the frame - steering head for straight...if it's bent ur  S.O.L.

if it's straight, then see if the fork tubes are, if not you need tubes, if they are, ur golden.....

THEN :

find a friend, acquaintance, Knowledgeable Person to HELP you disassemble - re assemble it

without any ONE of these  ur  SOL

• Premium Member

I would find out if the frame and neck are still "true"... If so, yeah it could be fixed on a budget/ sell it to a club racer ...if not- its time to walk away...  My gut/ first impression from pictures is to walk away... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Like others said, if the frame is alright you can get it back on the road for cheap enough. Cheaper than buying another bike, for sure. 

Don't know where you are located, but I'm in southwest VA. PM me if you happen to be nearby and I'd be happy to help you fix it. If that side cover is leaking due to being ground through, I can weld that up. Save a few bucks there. 

One good thing about a put-back-together bike is you know it's mechanically sound, but you now have the freedom to ride it like you stole it without fear of scratches!

I know it's easier said than done to "see if the frame is straight" when you don't have a lot of experience with it. One easy clue to check out is the steering stops on the lower fork yoke and the tab on the frame that they work against ( hope that makes sense). If the stops look like they've been gouged or snapped off it's a 50/50 chance it  imparted enough force to tweak the frame, but it's not a sure fire death sentence either.  But if your stops look good I would say you have a very good chance of having a straight frame. 

Hard to tell much from the photos, but according to the scrapes on the engine covers it doesn't appear you slid a very long way. Foot control doesn't even look scratched, or the side stand, so doesn't seem too brutal. So I assume a low speed crash? The rear end doesn't look damaged, so the bike didn't flip then ? The top yoke is hooched, but it's a chance everything else is easily fixable. 

Edited by shinyribs

Oh, and if you decide to unload it...you won't get much selling a wrecked bike. Part it out on eBay and make a small fortune, if you have the time. 

There are guys in my town that buy brand new bikes off the showroom floor and part them out for good profit. 

• Premium Member

If you decide to re build I have some OEM parts I could help you out with, you just pay shipping. I don’t know what you need, but if the stator isn’t leaking buy a cover/protector. Taking the banjo’s off the master cylinder isn’t bad, but it cost some time. I’m not going to say part it out, if you have torque wrenches good, or not, go to harbor freight. You said you have no insurance, right!!  This might be a good learning opportunity. If you have some time and patience. Otherwise it’ll probably take longer to part out and explain what you have. I’m nowhere close to being a mechanic, but you can figure it out, again like I said time and patience. People here will answer questions that may seem dumb all the time. There not. Why it took a year to do anything is your business, but you’d be surprised how people will pull together and help you out, especially here.

let us know what you decide to do!! Remember you’ll never know until you ask, and the dumbest question is the one on your mind that you never asked !!!

• Premium Member

You'd need to ensure the frame is straight, the forks are still straight, the front wheel isn't bent/cracked.

Replace the front brake line - are the calipers OK? There's no pics of them.

New headlamp, new instrument cluster... The throttle side attachment for the headlamp has been sheared off, you could make do with just the clutch side or you'd need to replace the whole triple tree.

If the crankcase cover is leaking like you said, you need that replaced too.

You'd need new turn signals, so you need to know how to solder, looks like some connections were torn off completely.

New handlebar, new clutch lever. That also means you have to remount the grips, mirrors, brake reservoir, etc.

You'd need a good ratchet, a set of hex driver sockets, a torque wrench, a soldering iron and solder.

Not sure if that's worth it for you

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

"I don't have the tools or the skill to fix it".

Based on that I wouldn't try fixing it unless you get some help from someone with some skills. GL!

Beemer

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

If you decide to repair it yourself or part it out, make sure you get a Yamaha FZ-07 service manual.

On 10/24/2019 at 9:39 PM, zoomist said:

You could look up some flat track forums,  see if there is any racers wanting to build a Yamaha flat tracker.  They are running in both the Production Twins and the Pro Twins classes.   They may likely need the general bike to get all the necessary electronics to start, but I don't know.   

Cycle News could be a start, 

CN-logo-fb.jpg