Sign in to follow this  
DewMan

520 CS sprocket wider shoulder In or out?

DewMan

My half hour long forum search came up dry so I'll ask this question I can only assume has already been asked at some point.

Since I have my rims off for tire replacement I'm doing a 520 chain conversion using Driven brand  steel sprockets if that matters. 

Since I don't have my rear tire in place I'm unable to site it to verify whether the wider shoulder on the countershaft sprocket goes towards the engine or towards the nut. The rear sprocket has even shoulders on it.

My gut is telling me that to line up with the 520 rear sprocket the wider shoulder should go against the nut which should keep both sprockets centers on the same plane , but it's been 30 years since my last CS sprocket replacement and it wasn't a conversion. 

Can anyone confirm for me which orientation the 520 CS sprocket needs to be?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

mossrider
1 hour ago, DewMan said:

My half hour long forum search came up dry so I'll ask this question I can only assume has already been asked at some point.

Since I have my rims off for tire replacement I'm doing a 520 chain conversion using Driven brand  steel sprockets if that matters. 

Since I don't have my rear tire in place I'm unable to site it to verify whether the wider shoulder on the countershaft sprocket goes towards the engine or towards the nut. The rear sprocket has even shoulders on it.

My gut is telling me that to line up with the 520 rear sprocket the wider shoulder should go against the nut which should keep both sprockets centers on the same plane , but it's been 30 years since my last CS sprocket replacement and it wasn't a conversion. 

Can anyone confirm for me which orientation the 520 CS sprocket needs to be?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. 

Your gut is right. There should also be stock/part numbers on the outward facing side of the sprocket.

• Thanks 1

DewMan
1 hour ago, mossrider said:

There should also be stock/part numbers on the outward facing side of the sprocket.

You are correct. Thanks. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

bugsinteeth

when I did the 520 conversion Dew, I couldn't find an answer to this either ...

so I just put the wide side out and it works fine....it does set the sprocket a tad

closer to the engine, but I figgered it'd be ok, and it is....

Edited by bugsinteeth
  • Thanks 1