The MT-07 Forum

3 ways to kill a bike

cassecou

• Premium Member
Key... kill switch was not intended to be used repetitively to shut the bike "off".
Why do you think the kill switch was not intended to be used?   That's what they teach in MSF.  It is a simple OFF switch.  I've been doing it for many years with no problems on any of my bikes.  It seems like it would be hard to think of using it in an emergency, if you never use it. 

Why can't left turners see us?

This thread is interesting and funny. (slo-mo drop, classic and always funny. Kick stand shut-off?! Noooo! Although the instructors in the MSF course are good and teach everything for good reason they treat everyone as if it's their first bike (was my experience) and that they know more about riding than you. I got to know my instructor and found I had been riding longer than him and I can't explain my experience with him but it probably would've shocked him if I had told him that not everyone will have a problem remembering to hit their emergency kill switch if they don't use it every time to shut their bike off. I grew up riding off road and with constant drops as a noob I knew that red switch better than some body parts. They say it makes for good habit but to me it's like being told I need to pull my finger out of the fire after I feel pain. If you think you're the type of person that can't remember to use your emergency shut off switch after a crash then yes, shut it off on a regular basis with the "emergency" cut-off switch and maybe it will become worn some day and you'll have to replace it but that's probably OK. 2 c worth.

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3
Key... kill switch was not intended to be used repetitively to shut the bike "off".
Why do you think the kill switch was not intended to be used?   That's what they teach in MSF.  It is a simple OFF switch.  I've been doing it for many years with no problems on any of my bikes.  It seems like it would be hard to think of using it in an emergency, if you never use it.
I don't use the horn every time I ride, but I know where it is and can use it in "emergencies".   To each their own, IMHO using the kill switch only to use the key as well is pointless.  Now on my dirt bike, which has no key... then the kill-switch is it. Lets not mention the kick stand... which only reinforces a very bad habit.

pineappleunderthesea

I believe one plausible reason to use the kill switch first is to prevent the bike from lurching forward if you're in gear and use your left hand to turn off the ignition. Example: on my previous Honda Shadow, the key was on the left side of the bike near the fuel cutoff valve (so I had to reach down near my leg). In that scenario, you need to be in Neutral to shut off the bike since your left hand needs to get off the clutch. You can imagine what would happen if you you're still in gear and take that hand off the clutch, either forgetting to put it in Neutral, or getting a false Neutral reading on the display. Using the kill switch first while your left hand is still pulling the clutch is foolproof.

I don't use the horn every time I ride, but I know where it is and can use it in "emergencies".   To each their own, IMHO using the kill switch only to use the key as well is pointless.  Now on my dirt bike, which has no key... then the kill-switch is it. Lets not mention the kick stand... which only reinforces a very bad habit.

I agree. Some MSF instructors seem to think their logic is better than everyone's and my instructor told me I should clutch with all my fingers (I use two fingers to shift) so that way if the bike goes down my fingers won't get pinned between the grip and possibly broken, as if the only time you go down is when you're shifting. Ha! The switch is intended for emergencies but instructors started thinking too much and turned it into something else. Honestly though, if someone wants to turn it off with the kill switch first I don't think it's going to harm anything.

Beemer

barneyfife

Kill switch,then key. All my other bikes I used the key,never used kill switch. This bike,the starter/kill combo switch is easier to use. I see no problem using kill switch.
Try not to use the lean angle sensor to shut bike off.

• Premium Member

Key and I believe key is best way but I have to take the key ring out to get the key to unlock my garage door so serves two functions

Guest 2wheeler

I'm vertically challenged which also means short arms - I use the kill switch - it's closer

Can you guess why this bike won't re-start? 
the computer needs to be reset when anything is changed, like the vacuum range, or in this case, a bad shutdown.

Thanks for that insight.  

I use the kill switch. The key gets turned off and put in my pocket after that. My bike never sits with the key in it.

• Premium Member

I kill mine with the switch, and always lock my forks -- so no chance I forget my key in the ignition

I used the key on my SV, but I never could instinctually kill it quickly using the kill switch, because my muscle memory was for using the key.

In the MSF course they teach you to use the kill switch because you will be able do it in an instant in case of emergency.

I've always used the kill switch on the FZ. I do it without thinking of it and that is a nice reassurance.

Also, I have used the kill switch when working on the bike and left the key in (like chain lube). Headlight high beam on for 5 minutes. No problem starting it afterward.

• Premium Member

I think the battery is pretty stout. I shut the bike off with the killswitch, get off, take my helmet and gloves off, unclip my bag, pack my stuff up and then turn the ignition off and to lock. Been doing that almost daily for 2 years and I've yet to have a battery issue.

I've also had the hazards on for about 30 full minutes while I helped a stranded motorist fix a radiator leak and that also didn't have any I'll consequence.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I doubt using the kill switch vs ignition will do much of anything to your batteries capacity if that's someone's primary concern.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

I also have a Shorai LFX19A4-BS12 battery. Battery on for a few extra seconds? I don't care. Kill switch second nature? Bigger deal.
But in the end, it's what ever floats your boat, because the bike and the electronics don't give a rat's a$$.

Why can't left turners see us?

• 2 weeks later...

I worked in a bike shop for a while, and I always use the kill switch first. Reason being the kill switch is there to correctly shut off the engine by cutting power from the battery to the engine electrics (like spark plugs). If you skip the kill switch and go straight to turning the key, you're turning off everything at once and that starts to wear out your engine a bit more than normal. I always use kill switch. I can see on many there's bikes, especially older ones, how it would be more convenient to just turn the key since the starter button and the kill switch are two separate mechanisms, but on the fz07, it's all one so why not take the extra split second to reach over with a thumb and push it up? If you ever turn a bike off via the key and then do it again with the switch, there's a very slight difference in sound as the crankshaft stops. Someone also mentioned that turning the key helps prevent you leaving the bike on and draining the battery. I don't know about you guys, but I never walk away from my bike without the keys somewhere on my person. I don't ever forget the key in the ignition. The side stand method, I'm not quite sure if that causes and damage and that seems to be just another safety feature, so yea I'd think that's a pretty good alternative for shutting off the fz. Also, I read a lot on here about flipping it to neutral before parking and I highly recommend against that. I a thief is gonna steal the bike, they're gonna do it someway somehow. But you can prevent accident like a child, dog, or gravity accidentally pushing/pulling the bike over by parking in gear. Same thing with a manual car, one should never park in neutral, it can and probably will, at some point, roll. Cars have a parking beak, though, and bikes don't, so the least you could do is park in gear. Just my two cents

For instance with the neutral parking, I had an fzr600, and I went to visit my mother. She had a scooter and my stepdad had an r6. On a windy day we were hanging out and heard some loud crashes. We looked outside and both their bikes had rolled forward from a gust of wind, which then pushed their kick stands up and dropped both their bikes. Mine remained standing because I parked in gear when they parked in neutral.

• Global Moderator

I have a friend has a Street Triple and his owners manual says to shut the engine down with the key. It does not say why, but that is the reason I use the key. I know this is not a Triumph but if it is good enough for the Britts...

bmwpowere36m3
For instance with the neutral parking, I had an fzr600, and I went to visit my mother. She had a scooter and my stepdad had an r6. On a windy day we were hanging out and heard some loud crashes. We looked outside and both their bikes had rolled forward from a gust of wind, which then pushed their kick stands up and dropped both their bikes. Mine remained standing because I parked in gear when they parked in neutral.

I do the same, but what's that got to do with shutting the bike off?

Archived