The MT-07 Forum

3 ways to kill a bike

cassecou

To kill a bike, some people use the key. It is my experience that Europeans use it most.
Another way is to use the Kill Switch. It is observed that most Americans use it that way.
And some people use the kickstand while the bike is in gear.
Let us know which is your favorite.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Key definitely. I would only use the kill switch in an emergency. 

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

I use the kickstand, as it seems extremely convenient to me. This is the first bike I've ridden with that feature, and I really like it. That newly created habit will also help prevent the ever-famous "I thought the kickstand was down" accidental bike drop. Interesting tidbit - the motorcycle safety course I took teaches riders to always use the kill switch, as the start procedure is FINE-C (fuel, ignition, neutral, engine kill switch, clutch & choke)... They yelled at students every time somebody used the key to kill the engine!

• Global Moderator

I always use the key. I consider the killswitch and the kickstand switch to be a safety device.

I use the key most of the time. I only use the killswitch when I'm coasting up to my garage to turn it off before I get in the garage.

• Global Moderator
Key.
Shortest first post ever ! Welcome @april. Thanks for joining our forum. We have a New Member introduction section here. Feel free to post something if you like. We love pictures.

Reading around the internet, I have found that the MSF course teaches to use the Kill Switch, only for the rider to establish a muscle memory for emergency situations. BUT, the drawback is that the rider might forget to turn off the ignition key and so draining the battery.
I would then suggest to turn off the bike using the Kill Switch only for a short period of time, indeed to create that important muscle memory, then kill your bike by using the key.
Using the kickstand is surely an odd way to kill the bike, as effective as it is, it will still leave the bike in gear, and will still have the key ON in the ignition, with the same out comes as the kill switch.

• Global Moderator
Shortest first post ever !
I would think someone would keep track of that (rofl)

Guru keeps track of everything :).

• 1 year later...
forwardmotion

Are there any negatives or downsides to using either the kill switch or kickstand?

• Premium Member

I use the kill switch. It's just muscle memory after the brutal beatings I received as a child in the MSF coarse. :)

Why can't left turners see us?

It depends on the situation for me. Going somewhere, let's say work. I'll use the kill switch as I'm walking the bike back. I leave the bike in gear at work.

If I'm pulling into my garage I'll put it in neutral and use the key.

Using the kick stand almost seems dangerous to me, out of habit I don't think I'm ever leaning the bike over with it running.

designslucid

Kill switch, then key. After many review videos, I'm well aware the headlight stays on after the bike has been started, so I try to be conscious of that and not run down the battery. YMMV.

bmwpowere36m3

Key... kill switch was not intended to be used repetitively to shut the bike "off".

twowheeladdict

Kick stand while in gear, then shut off ignition. Kill switch sometimes. Ignition in the garage because I am in neutral.

2015 FZ-07

Kill switch. "Thumb, key, Valve" is how I was taught. So kill switch then key then fuel valve. Obviously we don't have a valve. I also leave it in gear, and I still do the FINE-C from the MSF course to start.

Can you guess why this bike won't re-start?

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35q4lHYOdCk]

I learned while doing

., the computer needs to be reset when anything is changed, like the vacuum range, or in this case, a bad shutdown.  For that reason, I'm in the habit of using the key only. 

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member

Key. Don't (intentionally) use the kickstand, that's not what it's made for. Doubtful any issues would arise, but come on where did you learn that this was a good thing to do.

Archived