The MT-07 Forum

Throttle Body Reference

rfmueller

Set the right handle side so the top of the adjustment screw is level with the top of the edge of the body.  Set the other side the same.  Adjust if desired.  Auto idle does the rest.  Forget vacuum; it never worked when it was included in the original manuals so it was deleted.

Edited by rfmueller

4 hours ago, rfmueller said:

Okay, so without going in to the long gruesome details, I need to regain the throttle body reference side to my bike.  Both sides are toast.  Anybody know some magic trick to getting this thing back to factory position?  Idle is fine.  Just need correct starting point for fuel to air on the TB reference side so I can balance the other side to it.  And, a clean set of shorts.

Moving this out of tech tips, because this is not a tech tip. Thanks for following up with what you learned. 

If someone else is about to do a sync, maybe they can count the turns on their screw till lightly seated.

The advice about lean and rich is wrong. All these screws are setting is air bleed past the throttle plates.

• Like 1

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Good luck reading spark plugs. It is year 2019, not 60's.

Those screws can be anywhere from 0 to 1.5 turns out, and different between left and right side. 

I guess i'm not following what the problem is here exactly.  Idle airflow is controlled by IAC valve, the throttle blades should be equal in movement, I can't remember if they are closed completely or slightly open at idle.  The screws are just to adjust for airflow inconsistencies between the throttle bodies.  

So you backed the screws out and don't know how far to go back? or?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, geophb said:

I guess i'm not following what the problem is here exactly.  Idle airflow is controlled by IAC valve, the throttle blades should be equal in movement, I can't remember if they are closed completely or slightly open at idle.  The screws are just to adjust for airflow inconsistencies between the throttle bodies.  

So you backed the screws out and don't know how far to go back? or?

When synchronizing the throttle bodies only one side is adjusted. The other side, I forget which,  is not to be touched. If I understand the OP correctly, It appears the OP oopsed and adjusted both sides and now he's not sure how to set the reference side back to where it was. 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

If thats case then just run one half way out about and then get out your gauges and sync the other to it.  Or just turn the screws the same on both sides.  Its really just splitting hairs making sure there synced via gauge in my opinion.  The instant you open the throttle those screws are irrelevant.

I've discovered that stock "anything" runs almost ridiculously lean.  There's a mile of latitude in the TB adjustments between lean and rich.  Since realizing that most engines are nearly blistering the spark plugs because of the lean condition, the setup wasn't as sensitive or painstaking as I thought it would be.  The idle TB settings are also for exactly that:  Idle only, and getting off the line.   The advice the tech gave me was correct.  Turns out the bike was a tad too lean with popping and backfiring at one point.  Then, after another setup, it felt like there were a couple of wind ponies on steriods lifting the front end off the ground on startup.  But, in the end, it's set up to pretty close to where it was before undertaking the whole TP balancing in the first place.