The MT-07 Forum

My Suspension Journey

1tondriver

So I bought my 2017 used and the seller had switched to a heavier weight oil in an effort to improve the front end. After riding for a very short while I decided this was not for me and decided to go with some DDC’s (stock springs on Cogent’s recommendation) and an Ohlins STX rear shock after reading many positive reviews. 
I installed the DDC’s with the recommended oil and added some preload adjusters and the shock at the same time and it was worlds better than the crappy 2017 suspension. I have been pretty pleased but still feel the front forks are slightly lacking in the rebound department. Another member has switched to Redline Yellow and is having good results. I feel the ambient temperature really plays a big factor with this set up. We get riding conditions from 40’s to 100 degrees  here and I could change oil according to conditions but that sounds like too much effort. 
I think I am going to take the next step into this madness and install some Ohlins cartridges in a few weeks. The money pit is living up to its nickname. 
I will update after the cartridges are installed assuming there is no snow on the ground. I will have some Cogent DDC’s for sale fairly soon 😛

• Like 3

I have the same front and rear setup as you currently do.

I’m so happy with the performance of the ohlins shock that I’m also considering their cartridges.

2 hours ago, stickshift said:

I have the same front and rear setup as you currently do.

I’m so happy with the performance of the ohlins shock that I’m also considering their cartridges.

Yea I am really going back and forth on this one. Went for another chilly ride and everything was real good. I agree the shock is fantastic and transformed the bike for me. Going on a couple more rides before it snows and will come to a decision if I am going to do the cartridges now or possibly wait till summer and see how it is. 
On the other hand I am so far down the rabbit hole on this bike what the heck. I might as well order them and get it over with 😂

The quick shifter I don’t need is going on this week as well. Oh goodness...

Edited by 1tondriver

• 3 weeks later...

I have the both the Ohlins STX and the NIX22 cartridge kit en route for my ‘16.  I’ll let you know what I think when I get them installed hopefully next week or the week after, depending on when they arrive.  Pretty stoked on the upgrade

• Like 2

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, NateDNW said:

I have the both the Ohlins STX and the NIX22 cartridge kit en route for my ‘16.  I’ll let you know what I think when I get them installed hopefully next week or the week after, depending on when they arrive.  Pretty stoked on the upgrade

You will love it.  I have a Nitron shock and Matris cartridges and it makes a huge difference.  Suspension and the ECU flash are the two things I would do first if I started over.   I am looking forward to your thoughts after you ride with your new setup. 

2 hours ago, NateDNW said:

I just finished installing the NIX22 cartridges this morning and putting forks in this afternoon. Unfortunately it is snowing so no test for me for a long while... I will look forward to hearing your review. The shock made a huge difference for me so the cartridges were the next logical step. 

• Like 1

I went with a Bitubo XZE11 first (one came up second hand local to me) and that made such a huge difference to the way the bike handled. I then put DDC's a couple of weeks later and didn't notice a big difference. It's improved, but the rear shock is what really transformed the bike as it's definitely the weaker link between the two.

34 minutes ago, kylerhsm said:

I went with a Bitubo XZE11 first (one came up second hand local to me) and that made such a huge difference to the way the bike handled. I then put DDC's a couple of weeks later and didn't notice a big difference. It's improved, but the rear shock is what really transformed the bike as it's definitely the weaker link between the two.

Funny you mention that, as I installed the Bitubo XZE11 on my 16 FZ-07 as well - HUGE difference. I have heavier springs up front as well as heavier oil, which in combo with the Bitubo, work great. I ended up saving a ton of money on a set of cartridges. The combination of the heavier fork springs/oil with a 2WDW flash seriously reduces any front end dive as well as smoothing out the overall ride.

Just now, fzar said:

I have a package arriving tomorrow, if it arrives as described, I'll be >>>>>> !!!

Say, what's going on here?

7 hours ago, mjh937 said:

You will love it.  I have a Nitron shock and Matris cartridges and it makes a huge difference.  Suspension and the ECU flash are the two things I would do first if I started over.   I am looking forward to your thoughts after you ride with your new setup. 

Haha yeah when I got the bike, I knew that I wanted new pipes so I had the akrapovic pipes and a ecu flash kit at home... picked up the bike, rode it home and immediately changed them out.  Not sure why it took me this long to do the suspension but I’m pretty excited for the parts to get in so i can swap them out!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1tondriver said:

I just finished installing the NIX22 cartridges this morning and putting forks in this afternoon. Unfortunately it is snowing so no test for me for a long while... I will look forward to hearing your review. The shock made a huge difference for me so the cartridges were the next logical step. 

Ah bummer.  I will definitely share as soon as i get it all installed! 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 1tondriver said:

Did you do the install yourself or have it done professionally?  I just have a question about some of the suggested tools required for the job, like the pull up tool and stopper plate... if you did the install yourself did you get these tools and if so do you have part numbers that I should look for? 

14 hours ago, NateDNW said:

Did you do the install yourself or have it done professionally?  I just have a question about some of the suggested tools required for the job, like the pull up tool and stopper plate... if you did the install yourself did you get these tools and if so do you have part numbers that I should look for? 

Yes I did it myself and used improvised tools. The hardest part is getting the damping rod out but I put together several socket extensions and jammed it down there with a rubber grommet in a socket and it worked okay. I used a hanger and bent a hook on it to get out the springs. Took some patience but very doable.