The MT-07 Forum

2019 rear suspension on a 2017?

Stephenms

So I've been reading the forums about the 2018 rear shock working on the previous years and it being a cheap upgrade. I have come up empty with finding a used 2018 shock, new ones are around $270 on babbits. Which to me is reasonable, I'm not going to track the bike, it's a commuter so something like an ohlins is overkill. They do have slight differences but should bolt up all the same.

My question here is the 2019 shows two options of rear shocks. Does anyone know if these models had separate suspension packages?

Also, does the 19 or the 18 come in black? I can't stand the silver accents on these.

My guess is the shock is the same, but colour of the spring may be different.

My quick google search found the following 2019 trim codes & names:

MDMN6 = Tech Black (black bike)

MLMN4 = Ice Fluo (white w/red wheels)

I'm curious. I rode mostly dirt bokes in my teens. I bought my 2017 FZ07 2 years ago. I don't ride it as much as I would like to. I'm 5'10 160lbs. Most of my riding is in town. I do plan on some longer trips this year. I have never noticed any issues with the stock suspension. What benefits would I see if I upgraded to the 2018 or 2019 ?

The shock is slightly different. Bolt patterns are the same but the rebound has a better system. I can't find the post but someone basically went out and bought a 2018 shock and slapped it on an older model and they said the ride was a lot more comfortable. Less "squirely"

Thanks by the way, I searched a while and couldn't find anything specifying which shock was what.

Edited by Stephenms

Does it come with the tool? I'm not positive if it's been changed. The adjustment teeth look the same though. How much are you asking?

31 minutes ago, Stephenms said:

Does it come with the tool? I'm not positive if it's been changed. The adjustment teeth look the same though. How much are you asking?

You can buy a spanning tool dirt cheap. Don’t make that a make or break sale

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 1tondriver said:

You can buy a spanning tool dirt cheap. Don’t make that a make or break sale

I still have my OE one, just wasn't sure if they changed the teeth amount or length. They look identical though so I'm sure I'm fine.

• Like 1

The 18-19 shock has a slightly different preload adjuster collar. BUT the wrench that came stock with my 17 works on it. Its not a  perfect fit, but c spanners often arent anyway. So dont let that stop you haha. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

The 18-19 shock has a slightly different preload adjuster collar. BUT the wrench that came stock with my 17 works on it. Its not a  perfect fit, but c spanners often arent anyway. So dont let that stop you haha. 

Hey actually I have a question for you. I was rereading your conversion write up and am curious if there were any tricks to it or if you used the original bolts and everything. Just remove old install 'new'? Same bushing from 17? I looked up the part numbers from 18 to 17 and they're identical except for the shock number so I think I know my answer, just wanna be sure

10 hours ago, Stephenms said:

Hey actually I have a question for you. I was rereading your conversion write up and am curious if there were any tricks to it or if you used the original bolts and everything. Just remove old install 'new'? Same bushing from 17? I looked up the part numbers from 18 to 17 and they're identical except for the shock number so I think I know my answer, just wanna be sure

Yup! Used all the same bolts that came on my 17. The 18 shock will bolt right up using the hardware that came on your bike. 

20190625_203813-756x1008.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice mod, it's very tempting to do the same as i feel like i'm on a pogo stick and the weight transfer is terrible when braking or accelerating cuz i'm a bit heavy (at 120kg) alone. Wondering if there is other conversion too from other oem brands that could fit directly to mt-07 since the 18+ model shock is very rare to find used?

• Premium Member

I feel that unless you're of the target weight of the OEM shock, either new or old model, You'll not be happy with the shock without a spring swap also. Good luck finding a suspension option that works for you. ✌️

• Thanks 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I found someone willing to part with a 2018 shock that has 280 miles for 75 shipped. I think it's worth the try for that price. I mostly commute and do feel the pogo-ness to them. Maybe this will make it less pronounced. I'm not looking to spend serious bucks on suspension, this is my first bike and after almost two years I'm still not bored with it.

6 hours ago, Stephenms said:

...this is my first bike and after almost two years I'm still not bored with it.

All the more reason to be willing to spend  serious bucks on a good shock.   Good suspension is often well worth the money if you plan to hang on to the bike for a while.   

10 minutes ago, klx678 said:

All the more reason to be willing to spend  serious bucks on a good shock.   Good suspension is often well worth the money if you plan to hang on to the bike for a while.   

This is a very good point! If I like it enough I'll upgrade big time but I seem fairly slow with these things. Took me an entire year just to get exhaust, yet I had what I wanted picked out after 6 weeks.

• Global Moderator

Please keep all sales related posts to the classified section

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 1 year later...
On 10/20/2019 at 9:43 AM, Stephenms said:

You should also have that tool under your seat.