The MT-07 Forum

New buyer Concerns

Bunny

Considering a new purchase 

$6500 OTD, Is that a good deal ?

How is the engine character, smooth or buzzy ?

What is the RPM at highway speeds 70mph ?

Any vibration ?

How is the seat after about an hour ?

How is the wind blast ?

I currently ride a Bolt, no wind issues

But the Bolt operates at very high RPMs with a lot buzz and vibration.

Looking for something smooth relax quiet and comfort for longer rides and highway speeds ?

Selling the Bolt 2015 1700 mi

1 minute ago, Bunny said:

Looking for something smooth relax quiet and comfort for longer rides and highway speeds ?

Selling the Bolt $4700 2015 1700 mi

Not to discourage you but if you are looking for a comfortable highway cruiser look elsewhere. In my opinion these are great bikes for ripping around town. There are better options out there for a comfortable highway cruiser. My .02

• Like 2

• Global Moderator

Best bet would be to look for a Yamaha demo day around you, and go ride one

They're either your cup of tea, or they aren't

As the others said, if you plan to tour on it, it's probably not for you

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Maybe consider the Tracer 700 if you're keen on the MT07 but want better touring ability. I'd probably have bought one instead of the MT07 if we weren't stuck with a restricted version (we have restricted Tracer 700 and full power Tracer 900).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
howworkclutch
On 10/18/2019 at 10:37 PM, Bunny said:

totally subjective. however...

I've done a couple of "Long Road" runs on an fz07. "long road" is a week-long road party that includes a lot of lowbrow camping and degeneracy. Generally, its 250-400 miles per day from saturday to thursday, party hard friday and saturday, then try to get home on Sunday.

I've done the same run on lots of other bikes but the fz07 is probably the most comfortable. Its not a great bike for endurance riding but its pretty good. Long hauls on the super-slab are tiring though. Throw some $$$ at the suspension and toughen up: you could probably ride it around the globe.

-HowWorkClutch

There's an FZ6 for sale on here. It's smooth, comfy and has wind protection because it's not a naked. It's more a sport touring bike than just a sport bike like the FZ/MT-07 is. My youngest brother had one and it's a pretty nice bike, buttery smooth engine.

• Thanks 1

Beemer

I'm running the XSR, not a lot of longer riding yet, but what I've done, with the harder solo saddle, I don't have much issue with the vibration, no idea what the rpm is, but it's not really low, yet still hitting 55 mpg.   I don't plan to do long distance touring, mostly secondary highways that actually have curves and elevation changes - Appalachian Mountain range riding is highly likely in KY, WV, PA, NC, TN, OH in the near future.   So I don't have concern with long set cruising.  Never liked it even when I had the naked GL1100.   

I've understood at least the XSR could go up a tooth on the front, but not too concerned.  It seems fine at 55-70 mph.

$6500 for a new MT may be good, I don't know.  I paid about a grand more for the '18 XSR700 because I wanted the XSR700.  Not the 900.  My brother has an FJ09, but he rides double.  Plus I've just plain never seen anything negative about the 700 engine.  Even saw one article where the writer was testing a 900 and said to hold off on buying the 900.  He felt the 700 was a better ride in general.  

The mt07 is comfortable, I commute 80 miles a day and always look forward to hoping on the bike. I couldn't tell you the rpm at highway speed but I don't have any problems with vibration. Wind can be a problem during a windy day but otherwise tolerable at highway speeds. I have fitted my bike with the mwa low profile screen. Despite this though, would say the tracer is the better bike for the highway.  If I had to do it again I think I would have went with the mt09 or z900.

6500 is a good deal. Got my 2018 this year for 6800 otd!

Edited by paxx

I've put 28,150 miles (45,300 KM) on my FZ-07 that I've had for two years today. I've ridden from New Jersey to Daytona Beach, FL in 16 hours (about 1,050 miles/1,690 KM) with the Yamaha comfort seat with no issues. I've got some hand guards and a double bubble wind screen on it now as well as a Corbin seat that greatly increased comfort. I also have an Akrapovic Titanium exhaust on it without the baffle as I'd rather other drivers be able to hear me. This bike is great for touring if you want to make it a tourer. I've put 18,000 miles (29,000 KM) on it this year since 4 February.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png