The MT-07 Forum

Rear wheel bearing problem!! WTF

fzar

• Premium Member

So this is the spacer that was missing. I had spent sunday morning trying to figure out what @twf and @mossrider were talking about. I went to the service manual and saw in the second picture below the (part#6 collar) I took a look and it wasn't there. The Yamaha service manual wasn't very clear, so I went to the Haynes 1 with pictures. And I found that I should be able to distinguish if it was there with everything removed from the right side (disc).

I went to the attic pulled the shipping box, nothing. I checked everywhere nothing. At this point I decided I was going to contact the seller. I did, and I explained what happened, he assured me that he sent everything, to which I assured him he didn't as he had put zip-ties through the outer spacers, both sides, and through the hub. I sent him the pictures of the damage and the manual pic.  It was all very polite, so he said he has a box of left over stock parts he never flogged and he'd take a look.

Well he found it, apologised. He shipped it, I got it today. TBH I never knew this part existed, really. I had only ever encountered the 2 external spacers. So I have to take most of the blame here as I have both the Haynes and the Yamaha service manual, but,  I never checked everything completely. Although I don't know how I could have known if the outer bearings were still in place?? No Idea....6676BF1D-84B6-48AA-95E8-1276B49026AF.jpegE14D8344-21FD-4467-A4B3-0179E74593AC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Ok,  now get all three bearings ordered and replaced and get those 3 spacers put back in and get back on the road. No big deal. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Glad you figured it out.  Now go get some new bearings and seals and put it all together.😊

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member

Good to know.... I never knew that existed either? (Being that it's "inside" the hub, how could anyone know?) How is the OHLINS STX46 working out?

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Ok,  now get all three bearings ordered and replaced and get those 3 spacers put back in and get back on the road. No big deal. 

I’ve been back on the road the day after it happened @mossrider I’m lucky enough to have a second set of wheels. By the way I forgot to say , Thank you for you advice and pictures of what I should have been seeking out. Shout out to @twf for his insight also. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction👍

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

Good to know.... I never knew that existed either? (Being that it's "inside" the hub, how could anyone know?) How is the OHLINS STX46 working out?

Fantastic, I can’t imagine life without it.....

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Evill_Ed said:

Glad you figured it out.  Now go get some new bearings and seals and put it all together.😊

Thanks, Cush drives also the saddles are worn badly. I was waiting to get the collar to be sure it’s what I needed before putting in the order, just in case I had to get another.

• Like 1

It is not hard to lose that spacer, many people do. They take wheel off, carrier out and place carrier on the floor. Spacer falls out by itself and than when they put carrier back on the wheel spacer rolls under the bench :)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, twf said:

It is not hard to lose that spacer, many people do. They take wheel off, carrier out and place carrier on the floor. Spacer falls out by itself and than when they put carrier back on the wheel spacer rolls under the bench :)

It’s understandable, I’m glad that with your knowledge, and help pointing me in the right direction,I had a answer. I now know something I didn’t know last week. That alone makes it a worthwhile inconvenience to me. Thanks @twf

This is one reason to have captive spacers on race bike, to many wheel changes.

I make inner and outer carrier spacers press fit to each other so they are permanently attached to carrier. 

• Premium Member

This is why I always put tack tape over the bearings - I remember that spacer falling out the first time I changed my rear tire. I don't remember how all the spacers fit without a diagram, best to just keep them where they live !!

You're lucky that all happened as an inconvenience instead of a life-changing crash when you were deep in a turn ! Thanks for sharing, hopefully this won't happen to anyone on this forum again.

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, YZEtc said:

Any idea how and when this spacer got lost?

How? I don't know, either does the seller.

When? Sometime before it got shipped to me!

• Premium Member

Bearings,oil seals for  wheel bearings and swingarm ordered friday. (to be cleaned and rebuilt before AP rear link is installed) and OEM air filter+ exhaust gaskets. Damn these aren't cheap.Cush drive had to be a seperate order as it wasn't in stock and would delay the whole shipping time, as its the spare wheel. The gaskets I need, more.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 10/23/2019 at 8:37 PM, cornerslider said:

It's not actually inside the hub, its pressed into the bigger bearing thats in the sprocket.  There's 3 bearings and 2 oil seals. 

Sprocket side facing me, I install smaller bearing first, it has a seat in the wheel hub, no oil seal.

Then you install the bigger bearing into the sprocket hub from the front with oil seal, flip the sprocket, grease that bastard spacer and it taps in easily.

Flip the wheel to the right side, rotor. Install the steel tube/carrier that floats in the wheel hub. Install the bearing and oil seal and it's done.

What a nightmare getting the outer race from the rotor side out, seeming as the rest of the bearing completely disintegrated, inner race and balls all over the place. See pictures on page 1. I had nothing to get hold of , I bought drifts, 3 pronged bearing puller, but because it was heated and a serious amount of destruction had happened, and it was seated perfectly. I resorted to cutting it out. PITA. I tried metal screws (sketchy), drilling out the meatier parts with metal bits. (no dice) I just got the dremel and did what I could. I don't have a welding plant, which would have made things easier. I just had to move along with the dremel, heat gun, and patience.

Getting way too close to what I'd consider an unhealthy mental state of hatred for a bearing that was just doing its job. Like the instructor at the track day as I was looking at my tire!! "It's still round Ha!" 

8713E17D-2BDD-4339-9CD4-BE327355EDD4.jpeg

18464AF8-168E-4EAB-93FF-689D8EA59BB5.jpeg

• Like 1