The MT-07 Forum

Blackout's 2020 Mods....

blackout

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, blackout said:

The tail fits nice.  The rear mounting holes on the tail line up perfectly with the welded frame nuts.  This makes sense as I believe the R3 uses similar rear light parts as the FZ07.

1113191851a.jpg

1113191851.jpg

1113191857a.jpg

1113191857.jpg

That’s cool, I have also been looking at the R3 body work. I like the sharp angular tail section. I’m curious to see how the seat section fits. Looks like it’s raised up quite a bit on the R3.

lookiing forward to seeing your progress.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Global Moderator

Damnit @blackout
you're gonna make me spend money on a set of r3 bodywork too... arent you

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

How did the R6 side fairings fit? I was going to go that route but also debated on the R3 as well. Is there a lot of excess room with R6 body on the fz chassis? 

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Hosleymoto said:

How did the R6 side fairings fit? I was going to go that route but also debated on the R3 as well. Is there a lot of excess room with R6 body on the fz chassis? 

The R6 side fairings will fit fine if you run conventional clip-ons on the fork tubes.  Otherwise they need to be extended to allow the top fairing to mount higher to clear taller handle bars.  The R6 bodywork is wider than needed for the FZ07, but that does shield the rider well from wind and in theory help with drag.   My main concern was that I needed to extend my frame sliders and was concerned about the increased leverage that the frame sliders would cause on the engine in a low side.

I'll measure the added length needed on the frame sliders.  

If you look at my past build thread, you should be able to get an idea of the bodywork being wider.  The R6 belly pan is actually a tight fit around the FZ07 engine.  I have my R6 pan modded with a couple clearance holes and it fits like a glove and still functions as a belly pan under MA rules.   The FZ07 engine is fat at the bottom but narrow at the mid and top.  The R6 engine is similar in width from top to bottom.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Looking good man!   I'm at the bodywork stage of my build and I have some challenges to overcome also.  It's nice to see someone else doing something "outside the norm" on these bikes.

I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this for inspiration!

:)

- Paul

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 11/14/2019 at 7:34 AM, Hosleymoto said:

I measured the frame sliders and they are about 1.5" longer than the standard FZ07 Woodcraft sliders.  The standard Woodcraft sliders protect the Andy Palmer bodywork, but would not protect my R6 bodywork at all.  The longer frame sliders that I used are from Woodcraft and are for the SV650.  But I needed to drill out the center because the FZ07 uses a larger diameter bolt.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Blackout, please let me know how the R3 front fender fits up on the FZ07 fork. I’m looking for a cleaner looking fender to fit to mine. 

Ed

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Evill_Ed said:

Blackout, please let me know how the R3 front fender fits up on the FZ07 fork. I’m looking for a cleaner looking fender to fit to mine. 

Ed

Its slightly too wide.  Ill  take a pic later.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, blackout said:

Its slightly too wide.  Ill  take a pic later.

Really? That’s surprising.

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, Evill_Ed said:

Really? That’s surprising.

Yup, I was surprised.  Tried to take a pic, but nothing turned out good to show the problem.  The whole fender is maybe 1/8" too wide, but the bigger issue is the upper part of the fork.   I may try to make it work since I already have it, but not worth buying.

Hotbodies does make a FZ-07 carbon front fender.  Who will be the first to try?

DSC_0005-3.jpg

Kabən™ Factory Features: "Factory" grade carbon fiber parts with a 2 year no-fade guarantee Pre-Preg, vacuum bagged, autoclave...

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, blackout said:

Yup, I was surprised.  Tried to take a pic, but nothing turned out good to show the problem.  The whole fender is maybe 1/8" too wide, but the bigger issue is the upper part of the fork.   I may try to make it work since I already have it, but not worth buying.

Hotbodies does make a FZ-07 carbon front fender.  Who will be the first to try?

DSC_0005-3.jpg

Kabən™ Factory Features: "Factory" grade carbon fiber parts with a 2 year no-fade guarantee Pre-Preg, vacuum bagged, autoclave...

I think I will be going with a full FZ07R body kit this winter, I may consider this fender,

i really prefer the rounded profile of the R6 fender.  I may get a fiberglass R6 fender and modify it as necessary.

also, I think the 2018 MT07 fender is one piece and should fit without too much rework if any. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The R3 bellypan fits no problem.  Plenty of clearance.  The R3 engine must be no narrower or even wider than the 07 engine.  Kinda suprising. 

So far no cutting needed on the pan, but I'll fill the left big hole that is there for R3 engine clearance.

20191116_151315.jpg

20191116_151333.jpg

20191116_151340.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Looking good 👍🏻

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I cut these ears off the top fairing.  They interfere with the 07 engine.  But they are not needed, and the top fairing seems to fit nicely otherwise.  Pics soon for the top. 

20191116_160112.jpg

20191116_171931.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

7 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

The 2018+ bikes have a 1 piece front fender.
I find removing the multiple parts of the fender on the older bike a time consuming PITA (admittedly it does look a bit better).

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Rough positioning of upper and belly pan.   The belly pan's angle will need adjusting.  You can see how much higher the street bodywork was by looking where my fairing stay is pointing.  So a new stay will need a bend or something.

20191116_194554.jpg

• Like 3

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

The lines on the upper fairing look like they match up well to the frame angles.  Lookin good.

• Premium Member

A pie cut, bend, and some welding on the original piece and I think it's good to go.  Was easier than starting from scratch to get the correct angle.

20191117_150211.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Moved the ECU.  Pretty typical for an R build as the stock location is high and wide under the stock side fake intake.  Used some 1/8" 6061 sheet I had laying around and took advantage of the TIG welder again.  Foam tape for vibration damping and zipties finish the job.

On to the left side where there is a mess of wires, relays, and doodads.

20191124_133955.jpg

20191124_132415.jpg

• Like 5

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Some .09" 5086 aluminum came in for the new ram air box and other stuff.  My favorite sheet alloy.  It's the only aluminum that can be welded with no filler.  Most others need enough filler to change the base metal chemistry enough that it will not crack after the welding process.

The stock stack vs. a stack 3D printed by my son.  I wish the 3D printing process yielded a smoother part.  This one is a little rough and I'm not sure how that will affect performance.   Tried some methods to smooth it ( heat and acetone), but not too happy with the results. 

20191125_175055.jpg

20191125_175037.jpg

• Like 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

7 hours ago, blackout said:

Some .09" 5086 aluminum came in for the new ram air box and other stuff.  My favorite sheet alloy.  It's the only aluminum that can be welded with no filler.  Most others need enough filler to change the base metal chemistry enough that it will not crack after the welding process.

The stock stack vs. a stack 3D printed by my son.  I wish the 3D printing process yielded a smoother part.  This one is a little rough and I'm not sure how that will affect performance.   Tried some methods to smooth it ( heat and acetone), but not too happy with the results. 

20191125_175055.jpg

20191125_175037.jpg

90% sure the roughest will not affect performance, may even improve it .

but try to change plastic , abs will smooth with acetone 

pla or petg will not smooth 

0.1mm layers will provide a better part to ( but is 2/3 times slower )

Edited by Mad
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Left side changes.  Rectifier is moved inward to clear bodywork.

20191127_161843.jpg

20191127_161746.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York