The MT-07 Forum

Blackout's 2020 Mods....

blackout

Just now, Evill_Ed said:

That looks like an ambient air sensor to me. I forget, out bikes display ambient temp too right?

if it is, you probably don’t need it and I don’t think position is too critical. Location might be, keep it away from engine heat or direct wind.

Ed

Double E is kinda right. It's ambient air temp but we need it hooked up. Aside from the dash board temp display the ecu uses that info. You can move it but for best function I'd leave it upright somewhere near the front (cold air) of the bike.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Double E is kinda right. It's ambient air temp but we need it hooked up. Aside from the dash board temp display the ecu uses that info. You can move it but for best function I'd leave it upright somewhere near the front (cold air) of the bike.

4 minutes ago, mossrider said:

There you have it, trust Moss on this one.😉

E_E

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member

Thanks guys! 

I'll stick it right next to the header pipe!  Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Just now, blackout said:

Thanks guys! 

I'll stick it right next to the header pipe!  Lol

I'll tell ya where ya can stic...

• Haha 2

• Premium Member

Good enough?  Two zipties.  Pointing more forward than up.

20200328_163126.jpg

• Like 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

And just like that, I have room for a thumb brake....  The Woodcraft keyswitch eliminator installed (yellow harness) .  Way easier than doing it myself.

20200328_163857.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, blackout said:

And just like that, I have room for a thumb brake....  The Woodcraft keyswitch eliminator installed (yellow harness) .  Way easier than doing it myself.

20200328_163857.jpg

Thumb Brake? You’re taking this to a whole nother level 😎

I'm definitely getting up to NYST this year to see your bike.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Evill_Ed said:

Thumb Brake? You’re taking this to a whole nother level 😎

I'm definitely getting up to NYST this year to see your bike.

Been thinking about a thumb brake for a year or so.  My foot is useless in controlling the rear brake on track.  Street fine, get on track and rear locks up.  So, I have been only using the front brake on track.  I would build something custom using a Wilwood kart master cylinder.  The off-the-shelf thumb brakes are too expensive for my track fun use.

260-5520-lg.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Sounds like a really cool idea.  I’m sure your execution will be impressive 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, mossrider said:

Stop it!

Hah... I see what ya did there. 

• Premium Member

None of the cool kids can do it, because it's not MotoAmerica legal for Twins Cup.  ;)

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Race wets came in today!  But it looks like the front was made five years ago?  Personally, I find this unacceptable.  Any thoughts?   Is this normal?  Thanks.  The rear was made in 2019.  These were purchased direct from Dunlop's website,  shipped from Florida.

20200330_184638.jpg

20200330_184520.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

3 minutes ago, blackout said:

Race wets came in today!  But it looks like the front was made five years ago?  Personally, I find this unacceptable.  Any thoughts?   Is this normal?  Thanks.  The rear was made in 2019.

20200330_184638.jpg

20200330_184520.jpg

I wouldn’t be happy. That’s one reason I buy tires locally. They always price match and if there is an issue no hassle trying to ship back. On the upside sick looking tires! Good luck

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I feel like I should know what I'm looking at in the first pic-  What are the stainless/aluminum looking bars???

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

I feel like I should know what I'm looking at in the first pic-  What are the stainless/aluminum looking bars???

A close up of the tread?

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
cornerslider
9 minutes ago, blackout said:

A close up of the tread?

I gotta plead total ignorance on this... I'm not trying to be  a dick- The first pic doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before? I have ZERO experience with rain tires. I really want to learn/understand. Humor me, and help me learn/understand. Thank you in advance-

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

I gotta plead total ignorance on this... I'm not trying to be  a dick- The first pic doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before? I have ZERO experience with rain tires. I really want to learn/understand. Humor me, and help me learn/understand. Thank you in advance-

It's the side wall of the tire where the date code is.  And the tread is shown and must look like a metal because of the lighting in my bike shop.  My bike shop is actually a sunroom with a hot tub.  My wife left, so the bike came into the house.  lol

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

Look at the front tire in the second picture, and then think about putting the tire on your bench lying flat, your looking at the thread from side to side, I call them (sipes!!) the glossy look it the fact there unused.The numbers are (x4415) I don't know what the x means but the 44 is the 44 week of the year 2015 .

51 minutes ago, blackout said:

Race wets came in today!  But it looks like the front was made five years ago?  Personally, I find this unacceptable.  Any thoughts?   Is this normal?  Thanks.  The rear was made in 2019.  These were purchased direct from Dunlop's website,  shipped from Florida.

20200330_184638.jpg

20200330_184520.jpg

Won't make you feel much better but that's not uncommon with wets. They can be tough to move for vendors if it doesn't rain often at the track. Racers tend buy them when they need them, keep em a few years and sell em. Then do it over since you rarely wear them out. Mine are 5 & 8 years old respectively and worn out physically but still grip like a whore to your wallet. I'll get new ones some day. Keep them outta the sun and stored in your basement and don't worry, they'll be fine.

IMG_20200330_183759.thumb.jpg.f9ddb29778a60e4322e6909b43f22bf6.jpg

IMG_20200330_183743.thumb.jpg.f922f8c4116349c339d9b2398e9347e5.jpg

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Won't make you feel much better but that's not uncommon with wets. They can be tough to move for vendors if it doesn't rain often at the track. Racers tend buy them when they need them, keep em a few years and sell em. Then do it over since you rarely wear them out. Mine are 5 & 8 years old respectively and worn out physically but still grip like a whore to your wallet. I'll get new ones some day. Keep them outta the sun and stored in your basement and don't worry, they'll be fine.

IMG_20200330_183759.thumb.jpg.f9ddb29778a60e4322e6909b43f22bf6.jpg

IMG_20200330_183743.thumb.jpg.f922f8c4116349c339d9b2398e9347e5.jpg

Thanks Moss!  I'll try to forget about it.  The rubber does seem to be in good shape using the finger nail test and just an overall look over.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, fzar said:

🤣

Moss sure has a way with words.  Has to be a hoot to hang with!...

FWIW, the rear size is 175/60, not 175/55 like advertised.  So that should be good, it's taller than advertised.  They did have a 185/55, but that would be for the 1000's.  It is rated for a 5.5" rim though.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Just now, blackout said:

Thanks Moss!  I'll try to forget about it.  The rubber does seem to be in good shape using the finger nail test and just an overall look over.

I bought these 2 1/2 years ago for MotoAmerica and flipped my 6 year old Pirelli's since we needed Dunlops as spec tires. Guy I sold the P's to flipped his 13 year old set of Michelins to get my old P's, you get the idea. Sell em in the rain for $250 years from now at the track when you mount your next set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider
30 minutes ago, blackout said:

It's the side wall of the tire where the date code is.  And the tread is shown and must look like a metal because of the lighting in my bike shop.  My bike shop is actually a sunroom with a hot tub.  My wife left, so the bike came into the house.  lol

Okay.... I got it now. Sorry your wife left, that sucks-