The MT-07 Forum

Blackout's 2020 Mods....

blackout

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, cornerslider said:

Okay.... I got it now. Sorry your wife left, that sucks-

It was for the best...  The divorce is final and I'm moving forward.  :)

• Like 4

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

One nice thing about Dunlop rains is they hold up better than the other manufacturers rains when used on marginal tracks.  They are all great in the rain, but; when it starts to dry out or the track is wet some places and dry others or the track is too damp for slicks but still not wet you can let er buck with the Dunlops. I've done a ton of dry laps on these that would (and did) shag my old Michelins and these are still going.  We ran a 20 lap trophy dash that was bone dry by lap 10 and I figured I was out $500 but the bastards are still rolling.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I fabricated a new reservoir mount from 3/16" thick 6061 aluminum.  The one from Nitron was 3/32" steel.  Being thin, the reservoir vibrated a good amount to the point where the paint on the bracket was cracking.  Mine is no heavier if not lighter than stock.  Never bothered to weigh, but you could feel a slight difference.

20200330_215658.jpg

• Like 5

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
On 3/30/2020 at 5:09 PM, cornerslider said:

Okay.... I got it now. Sorry your wife left, that sucks-

Ditto

Rain tires look awesome though!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, blackout said:

I fabricated a new reservoir mount from 3/16" thick 6061 aluminum.  The one from Nitron was 3/32" steel.  Being thin, the reservoir vibrated a good amount to the point where the paint on the bracket was cracking.  Mine is no heavier if not lighter than stock.  Never bothered to weigh, but you could feel a slight difference.

20200330_215658.jpg

Looks good!  My K-Tech shock came with bracket I didn't like either. It didn't allow the reservoir to be at the same angle as the subframe and tail bodywork, so I used a mount from Axia Alloys to get rid of the long bracket all together.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider
2 hours ago, pgeldz said:

Looks good!  My K-Tech shock came with bracket I didn't like either. It didn't allow the reservoir to be at the same angle as the subframe and tail bodywork, so I used a mount from Axia Alloys to get rid of the long bracket all together.  

I have the same issue.... I'm not sure why K-Tech made that stupid little "jog" in the bracket? I does look odd -

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member

I did not forsee this problem.  I got lazy and bolted the stock fender up instead of making the R3 fender work and found a clearance problem.  The stock "naked" fender has some added styling that sticks high so creates interference with race bodywork.  This was not an issue on my R6 bodywork since I had it high for a street friendly handle bar height.  There is between 3"-4" of clearance depending how I measure it, but the stock suspension has 5" of stroke.

20200404_131332.jpg

20200404_131344.jpg

20200404_131428.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

The 'eye brows' of my stock replacement fender bump the inside of the AP Motoarts fairing nose  too. 

Meh, I got used to it after the bike passed me outside of turn 3.

IMG_20200404_135653.thumb.jpg.062d006da38d403ecd26fc23aae6d390.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Well, at least there is plenty of clearance between the tire and belly pan.  I have seen some tight clearances on bikes with race fairings at this spot.  And clearance tightens when hard on the brakes and forks flex a bit.

Question, how close is the fender to the tire on typical race bikes?  I assume they try to get as close as possible for aero advantages.   I have a little over 5" of tire clearance.  With 5" of fork stroke, I need the fender as close to the tire as possible.  Thanks for any input.

20200404_152346.jpg

20200404_152401.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

The R3 fender is a tad too wide, so I cut it down the center and will glass the two halves back to fit.  There is much better clearance with this fender.

20200404_222523.jpg

20200404_233056.jpg

20200404_233308.jpg

• Like 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

After fixing several leaks from the air pressure test, I decided to fill the new fuel tank with water and see what happens.  Only one leak so far to fix.  And my fuel pump mounting setup is leak free so far.

20200405_104541.jpg

• Like 3

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

The thumb brake master cylinder mount.   It's a 1.625" shaft collar that I tapped and machined a bit.   McMaster does not carry a 41mm size, but 1.625" seems close enough.  That is what I have been using for my steering damper setup the past three seasons.

20200409_202348.jpg

20200409_203444.jpg

• Like 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

The thumb brake is done except the line to the rear caliper.

20200412_131743.jpg

20200412_131506.jpg

20200412_131249.jpg

• Like 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Pardon my ignorance..... What is the purpose/advantage of a thumb brake? Do you run it "in tandem" with the foot brake, or "in place of" the foot brake? Thank you in advance-

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

Pardon my ignorance..... What is the purpose/advantage of a thumb brake? Do you run it "in tandem" with the foot brake, or "in place of" the foot brake? Thank you in advance-

For the life of me, I can't engage the rear foot brake without locking it up on track.  On the street I'm ok, but on track, I guess my boots make it hard for me to gauge how much pressure I'm adding.  So, it's to allow me to use the rear brake on track. 

If you mod the stock rear master cylinder you can run it both on the foot and thumb.  Most will do that.  For me, I'm going to delete the rear foot brake completely.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
cornerslider
13 minutes ago, blackout said:

For the life of me, I can't engage the rear foot brake without locking it up on track.  On the street I'm ok, but on track, I guess my boots make it hard for me to gauge how much pressure I'm adding.  So, it's to allow me to use the rear brake on track. 

If you mod the stock rear master cylinder you can run it both on the foot and thumb.  Most will do that.  For me, I'm going to delete the rear foot brake completely.

I understand now. Thank you for the education. You are not alone in this issue. I'm a rider coach at a local track school. I see a surprising amount of people that struggle with this (my wife still struggles with it as well). I grew up riding in the dirt, so I learned rear braking REALLY young. I can see how this thumb brake would be beneficial on track. Thanks-

• Premium Member
cornerslider
12 minutes ago, blackout said:

Here is an interesting article on thumb brakes.

Very interesting read.... How long has this idea been around? I've never "raced", as I didn't even start track riding until I was 40 years old (I'm 51 now). I don't think I've ever seen this set-up a track bike before. Maybe I wasn't paying close attention to other riders bikes? At any rate, thank you for the education 😎-

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

Very interesting read.... How long has this idea been around? I've never "raced", as I didn't even start track riding until I was 40 years old (I'm 51 now). I don't think I've ever seen this set-up a track bike before. Maybe I wasn't paying close attention to other riders bikes? At any rate, thank you for the education 😎-

It's been around for 25 plus years, but rarely used on a regular basis.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

I guess this shows that the R3 fender was warped inward a bit....  I have it mocked up on my bike and will partially fiberglass it back together as shown to assure a good fit.  And then final it up off the bike.

20200418_212456.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Glassed the top front.  It will be pulled off and the bottom done.  The top will be sanded flush.   Seems like the best way to make it work.

20200419_101501.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
On 4/12/2020 at 1:29 PM, blackout said:

It's been around for 25 plus years, but rarely used on a regular basis.

I remember Robert Dunlop had this set-up on his bikes, funny how it's becoming popular now. It's made its way to GP bikes and WSBK. Ian Hutchinson has multiple arrangements on his bike to be able to ride after some horrific crashes.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Been off the grid.  Lol.  I've been busy at work, but my track bike is almost ready.  Meanwhile, I picked up a new street bike since my fz07 is full track duty now.

20200529_165337.jpg

20200529_160051.jpg

• Like 3

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York