The MT-07 Forum

Blackout's 2020 Mods....

blackout

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Building some killer fabrication skills. Making do with the tools you have is rock solid old school too. End result will something to be proud of.  Nice!

Thanks. 

How many gallons does the fz need for the typical race?  (Around 20 laps.)

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Just now, blackout said:

Thanks. 

How many gallons does the fz need for the typical race?  (Around 20 laps.)

Let's just see, using round numbers and my stock tank, not the endurance tank. I get between 24-28mpg. BIR is roughly 3 miles/lap, so ~8 laps/gal. I usually put 1 1/2 - 2 gal in for a sprint race (6 or 8 lap). So for a Trophy Dash (20 lapper), which is 22 laps counting out lap and cool down lap, you're looking at 3 gallons to be safe. I can go about 55 minutes per run in an endurance race, at 2 minutes/lap that's 27ish laps per stint which is pretty close to a tank. The fuel light is always on at that point so it makes it more exciting, lol. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Fuel tank welding done except for leak testing and mounting tabs.  I will pressure check at 7 psi.  That's what is recommended according to my online searching.

I filled it with water and the capacity is 2.5 gallons.  Enough for my track use.  More capacity would require cutting the R3 tank cover or a second custom tank under the seat and connected with a 6AN fuel line.  The second tank sounds like a good project for next winter.

20200105_210003.jpg

• Like 6

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

We need an update 😉

• Like 2

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, Evill_Ed said:

We need an update 😉

I leak tested the fuel tank.  Found 7 pinholes using soapy water and air pressure in the tank.  Not surprised.  I filled them, but still need to do another leak test.  I waisted some time trying to settle on the best way to mount the tank and then decided to move back to the fairing stay.  Here I am cutting 1/8" slots in the dash plate with a hacksaw and jewelry files.

20200117_064625.jpg

• Like 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

It would be better to leak test the tank in water tank that allows the part to be submerged... its standard practice at my work, soapy water works to a point but you can see much finer leaks that make smaller bubbles than champagne for example, also it can take a few secs for some leaks to show up since soapy water don't stay in one place... I would use 120psi or more for leak testing... 

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, norcal616 said:

It would be better to leak test the tank in water tank that allows the part to be submerged... its standard practice at my work, soapy water works to a point but you can see much finer leaks that make smaller bubbles than champagne for example, also it can take a few secs for some leaks to show up since soapy water don't stay in one place... I would use 120psi or more for leak testing... 

Yah, I could try a different method for a final test.  I would rather not find a new leak after adding fuel because then I would have to worry about how to safely weld a used fuel tank....

120 psi is excessive for a fuel tank.  The shape is not designed to hold that kind of pressure, so you risk deforming the tank.  

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, blackout said:

120 psi is excessive for a fuel tank.  The shape is not designed to hold that kind of pressure, so you risk deforming the tank.  

I do apologize, I was comparing your gas tank to a similar product at work due to very similar materials, didn't think of the baffles that get welded inside the surge tanks... 25-30psi would be good...

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
On 1/5/2020 at 6:41 PM, blackout said:

Fuel tank welding done except for leak testing and mounting tabs.  I will pressure check at 7 psi.  That's what is recommended according to my online searching.

I filled it with water and the capacity is 2.5 gallons.  Enough for my track use.  More capacity would require cutting the R3 tank cover or a second custom tank under the seat and connected with a 6AN fuel line.  The second tank sounds like a good project for next winter.

20200105_210003.jpg

Looks amazing!

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
On 1/5/2020 at 7:41 PM, blackout said:

20200105_210003.jpg

are you gonna be adding a block of some sort to force air into the filter rather than down into the bodywork/frame??

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sorkyah said:

are you gonna be adding a block of some sort to force air into the filter rather than down into the bodywork/frame??

Yup.   That's the plan.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

1 minute ago, blackout said:

Yup.   That's the plan.

Looking great! Some real nice work you are doing. I really enjoy these build threads with all you visionary’s!

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Making .035" thick aluminum shims for the dash grommets.  Because I want now and can't wait for a McMaster-Carr order.

20200119_150315.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

The fairing stay so far.  I could not come up with something that a Solo2 would fit on, so I'll have to mount that separate somewhere else.  The steering damper did not give room to mount it under the dash.  Aluminum tabs will fasten to both sides of the stay for supporting the fairing at the mirror locations.  I have not fabricated those yet.  The back of the fairing will attach to the frame.

20200119_161640.jpg

20200119_163412.jpg

20200119_163805.jpg

• Like 4

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

@Blackout- You seem to be pretty good at fabricating... I'm a Journeyman Steamfitter, and I weld for a living. I'm looking at buying a AC/DC TIG machine for aluminum projects. What make/model machine are you using to fabricate your parts? You do nice work-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

@Blackout- You seem to be pretty good at fabricating... I'm a Journeyman Steamfitter, and I weld for a living. I'm looking at buying a AC/DC TIG machine for aluminum projects. What make/model machine are you using to fabricate your parts? You do nice work-

Thanks.  This is what I use.  I like it, but I am a new welder so having nothing to compare it to.

20200119_171650.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

This windscreen should offer good protection.  Note: belly pan is not positioned yet.

20200119_201615.jpg

20200119_201834.jpg

20200119_202424.jpg

20200119_202302.jpg

• Like 5

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, pgeldz said:

Dang!  Big update...I like!

Great work @blackout !!!

Thanks!  It's getting there.  Took on a lot this winter.  Lol. Hoping for a track day at a small track called Pineview Run on April 25th.  It's in Syracuse so less than 1.5 hours away.  Probably won't be painted until after that.

Track--arial-retouch.jpg

• Like 5

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

3 hours ago, blackout said:

Thanks!  It's getting there.  Took on a lot this winter.  Lol. Hoping for a track day at a small track called Pineview Run on April 25th.  It's in Syracuse so less than 1.5 hours away.  Probably won't be painted until after that.

Track--arial-retouch.jpg

Woah! What’s the deal with this track? I didn’t even know it existed, I’m an hour north of Syracuse!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Hosleymoto said:

Woah! What’s the deal with this track? I didn’t even know it existed, I’m an hour north of Syracuse!

Never been, but found out about it last year when a NYST buddy attended an event held there by EvolveGT.  It's only 1.1 miles and top speeds seem to be no more than 75 mph from videos I have seen.  But it seems like fun and priced a bit cheaper than some tracks.  NYST is $190.  Pittrace is $230.  And this track is $150. 

A video I found of Pineview...

• Like 3

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York