The MT-07 Forum

Swing arm rust

Jord

I’ve got rust along the weld on chain side of swing arm. My bike is a 2016 so out or warranty. Has anybody got any advice on the best way to treat/remove the rust? 

• Global Moderator

Surface rust? 

Or like salt/corrosion rust

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

surface rust, it looks like slight bubbling of the paint along the weld, in places the paint has flaked off. It’s not major but it annoys me. 

Lightly steel wool it off and coat with wd-40 if it's not too bad. Wire brush it clean and truck bed black it if it still bugs you. Bead blast it the whole swingarm and powder coat are always an opton.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice, I think il try to steel wool it then find the closest match touch up paint and seal it. I have thought about powder coating. I can’t see any problem removing the swing arm myself but I don’t have the tools to remove and replace the bearings, and I’m assuming the bearings would have to be removed before powder coating 

This has happened to my 2017 as well. It's a testament to Yamaha's cheap ass build quality. If you research the issue, it's actually quite common and those who managed to get in before their warranty expired ended up getting their whole swimgarm replaced 😛  I scrubbed the rust back on mine and touched up the paint. Mine occurred on the brake side of the swingarm along the weld.

I'm restoring a 1988 Honda Bros 400 at the moment and the quality difference between the two bikes is nothing short of astounding. The Bros shock has needle bearings for one, and the bolts looked brand new after pulling them out without even cleaning them. Oh, and the shifter linkage has rubber seals to keep the grease in. I just regreased the shifter pivot on my MT07 yesterday and the grease (or lack there of) is "retained" by two metal washer. Cheaaaappppppppp.

Anyway, rant over. The MT07 is still my favourite of all the bikes I've owned, but they definitely don't make them like they used to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Global Moderator

Also, you posted elsewhere the bike is new to you from a dealer

Have them fix it

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Yeh I only got the bike on Saturday, I somehow missed the rust when I went to see and test ride the bike, I have got a 3 month warranty from the dealer but I really can’t see them wanting to do anything about surface rust to be honest 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Jord said:

Yeh I only got the bike on Saturday, I somehow missed the rust when I went to see and test ride the bike, I have got a 3 month warranty from the dealer but I really can’t see them wanting to do anything about surface rust to be honest 

Can't hurt to try. 🤞 Worst they can do is say "No". 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Have you tried you tube for videos on that? I'm sure they have plenty of them.

You can easily sand that stuff off and spot paint it to where it's hardly noticeable, if at all if you do it right.

Beemer

12 hours ago, kylerhsm said:

This has happened to my 2017 as well. It's a testament to Yamaha's cheap ass build quality. If you research the issue, it's actually quite common and those who managed to get in before their warranty expired ended up getting their whole swimgarm replaced 😛  I scrubbed the rust back on mine and touched up the paint. Mine occurred on the brake side of the swingarm along the weld.

I'm restoring a 1988 Honda Bros 400 at the moment and the quality difference between the two bikes is nothing short of astounding. The Bros shock has needle bearings for one, and the bolts looked brand new after pulling them out without even cleaning them. Oh, and the shifter linkage has rubber seals to keep the grease in. I just regreased the shifter pivot on my MT07 yesterday and the grease (or lack there of) is "retained" by two metal washer. Cheaaaappppppppp.

Anyway, rant over. The MT07 is still my favourite of all the bikes I've owned, but they definitely don't make them like they used to.

I don't think the quality of this one bike is a good example of all of Yamahas bikes simply because it was intended to be a bargain bike with cheap parts and build but yeah, gotta love it anyway with that amazing engine at a bargain price. 😉

Beemer

I would give the dealer a chance to put this right. Either through his own warranty or by special application to Yamaha. They replaced rusty ones in the early days (as said). Must be worth a try?

Just do it! 

Mine had the some rust and I just sanded it down a bit and hit it with some Rust-Oleum and good enough. I doubt it will ever rust through before I am done with it. Should it happen? No, but not a huge deal to me. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Likewise I have bare metal and some rust showing under my chain guide, eventually I was gonna sand away what I could and just rattle can paint it black. No big deal but annoying

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Thick grease between the rubber chain guide and swing arm two times a year as an temporary first aid (...for years 😉).  New coating if you have to remove the swing arm anyway because of worn out bearings or something else. Or spot repair if the chain is removed. 

If somebody want to powdercoat (like me someday): there is a big rubber block inside the swingarm, chain side

I saw this thread and decided to check the swing arm on my new-to-me 2018 MT-07.  Sure enough the facking thing has rust on it with not even 5000 miles on the odometer.  It’s actually pretty disappointing seeing as how my outgoing 2017 SV650 is really well built for around the same price point (slightly less actually).

BBB9E6F9-AF6A-4B9C-9D0B-ECADF201E74E.jpeg

Edited by Slono

Thanks all for the reply’s. I know I should probably take it back to the dealer but it’s over an hour drive/ride away and I really doubt they will be of much help. Ive purchased some hammerite satin black which says on the tin can be applied straight to rust. My plan is to wire wool it than touch up. I will post some before and after pics when I get around to doing it 

5 minutes ago, Jord said:

Thanks all for the reply’s. I know I should probably take it back to the dealer but it’s over an hour drive/ride away and I really doubt they will be of much help. Ive purchased some hammerite satin black which says on the tin can be applied straight to rust. My plan is to wire wool it than touch up. I will post some before and after pics when I get around to doing it 

That will take care of it. I used the Rustoleum product that’s the same thing. 

On 10/16/2019 at 4:49 PM, Jord said:

surface rust, it looks like slight bubbling of the paint along the weld, in places the paint has flaked off. It’s not major but it annoys me. 

Same thing on my bike.

Dirt or sand or something got under the chain guard and wore through the paint. booo!

If you're going to prep the paint, you may as well apply some POR 15 to it to neutralize the rust chemically before painting over top.

Edited by topazsparrow
  • Thanks 2

got rust at various sections of the swingarm, massive patch under the rubber chainguide which is disappointing. paint is so thin...

what touchup/color is everyone using?

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 10:14 AM, Slono said:

I saw this thread and decided to check the swing arm on my new-to-me 2018 MT-07.  Sure enough the facking thing has rust on it with not even 5000 miles on the odometer.  It’s actually pretty disappointing seeing as how my outgoing 2017 SV650 is really well built for around the same price point (slightly less actually).

BBB9E6F9-AF6A-4B9C-9D0B-ECADF201E74E.jpeg

Exactly where mine rusted. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had rust appearing on my swingarm, it was just where the rear suspension is connected to the swingarm. The paint came off due to small stone chipping. I covered it with HAMMERITE Stone Chip Shield. Since then, it seems allright.

Where the swingarm is made out of steel, it will always start rusting when it's not protected. I found this company that make custom aluminium swingarms (http://metmachex.net/swingarm-prices/) I have sent them an email a while ago but didn't hear from them... I don't think they are producing anything anymore, or they're just too lazy to check their email. However, I believe if you would swap old MT swingarm into this aluminium masterpiece, the value of the bike would go up.  

Edited by Q_mass