The MT-07 Forum

IXIL L3XB popping noises

fz_evank

I just installed my IXIL L3XB exhaust on my 2016 fz, I flashed the ecu using the Yoshimura R77 map from power commander but im still getting popping noises on decel. I just want to make sure its nothing to worry about. Some people say it is, others say it isn't. Would love to hear some feedback thanks!

Its more of an annoyance thing than damage to bike. Some people think it sounds cool, some don't. I doubt you would be able to get rid of it with the power commander, but I could be wrong.  Popping on decel is just "backfire". Unburnt fuel from incomplete combustion either from too lean or too rich.  Most likely lean because of factory emission goals. 

What you need to do to eliminate decel popping whether it be with a PCV or flash tune, you need to add fuel at 0% throttle from 2,000 RPM up to red line. Depending on what you used to flash the ECU there might be an option for decel injector settings on or off. If you enable it, it will add fueling on decel and help reduce some of the engine braking as well as reduce popping but if you enable it, do not add fueling in the map or you will just be wasting fuel. Do only one or the other. 

In my PCV map I have a fuel trim of 3 at 0% throttle from 2,000RPM all the way up to red line and I get a burble or two on decel but no obnoxious backfires.

On 10/16/2019 at 5:49 AM, geophb said:

Its more of an annoyance thing than damage to bike. Some people think it sounds cool, some don't. I doubt you would be able to get rid of it with the power commander, but I could be wrong.  Popping on decel is just "backfire". Unburnt fuel from incomplete combustion either from too lean or too rich.  Most likely lean because of factory emission goals. 

ok good to know, ill keep as is then!

16 hours ago, CarGuy7a said:

What you need to do to eliminate decel popping whether it be with a PCV or flash tune, you need to add fuel at 0% throttle from 2,000 RPM up to red line. Depending on what you used to flash the ECU there might be an option for decel injector settings on or off. If you enable it, it will add fueling on decel and help reduce some of the engine braking as well as reduce popping but if you enable it, do not add fueling in the map or you will just be wasting fuel. Do only one or the other. 

In my PCV map I have a fuel trim of 3 at 0% throttle from 2,000RPM all the way up to red line and I get a burble or two on decel but no obnoxious backfires.

Yeah i flashed my ECU and uploaded the yoshimura map from fuel commander. I think ill stick with it and not change anything because I do prefer the engine breaking but thanks for the advice!

• Premium Member

PCV maps are made to run on OEM fueling... I know the bike really doesn't run well with a flashed ECU and PCV map ... PCV is not smart enough to know if deceleration injection is turned on/off... 

• Thanks 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW