Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hosedragger

Exhaust leak???

Recommended Posts

Hosedragger

This hasn't even been on a week manufacturer defect or is this normal ???? i can't find anythingrsz_1img_20191013_142856684_hdr.thumb.jpg.dbdef10d02327e85c9cd27cce0b04032.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1tondriver
16 minutes ago, Hosedragger said:

This hasn't even been on a week manufacturer defect or is this normal ???? i can't find anythingrsz_1img_20191013_142856684_hdr.thumb.jpg.dbdef10d02327e85c9cd27cce0b04032.jpg

Doesn’t look normal to me. Not sure what it is but I wouldn’t be happy with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blackout

Wipe clean and see if it comes back.  Sometimes the exhaust with seal itself over time.


Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geophb

Take baffle out, less pressure in the can. 😁 JK

Probably just manufacture/new part goop seeping out. It probably just had to push some out out and will burn up the rest.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
norcal616

Did a bit of water get inside? I can see how water will cause the brown rust color stain from the mild steel(?) parts inside the muffler... Can't really say- I do know cooking spray(used to make exhaust systems 5yrs ago part time) is used to manufacturer exhaust cans/catalytic converters, it makes the exhaust packing/wrap slid into exhaust can easily... 


2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hosedragger
On 10/14/2019 at 12:30 PM, blackout said:

Wipe clean and see if it comes back.  Sometimes the exhaust with seal itself over time.

wiped it and it keeps coming back. It leaks all the way around. took it to the shop that installed it and they said thats not right at all and are starting the whole warranty process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1tondriver
2 hours ago, Hosedragger said:

wiped it and it keeps coming back. It leaks all the way around. took it to the shop that installed it and they said thats not right at all and are starting the whole warranty process.

Good, something was not right with it. Hope the warranty process goes smooth for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cornerslider

I have the same exhaust, and had the same thing happen... It does go away after a few hundred miles. While I wasn't too happy about having stains on my new $1000 exhaust system. I figured it was probably some sort of anti-corrossive treatment for shipping or something? I cleaned it up with a combination of brake cleaner, and rubbing alcohol. Cleaned up like it never happened 😎

  • Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Slono
11 hours ago, cornerslider said:

I have the same exhaust, and had the same thing happen... It does go away after a few hundred miles. While I wasn't too happy about having stains on my new $1000 exhaust system. I figured it was probably some sort of anti-corrossive treatment for shipping or something? I cleaned it up with a combination of brake cleaner, and rubbing alcohol. Cleaned up like it never happened 😎

So its completely gone and hasn't come back?  How many miles have you logged on it now?  This exhaust was one on my list to potentially get during a black friday / christmas sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cornerslider

Hasn't come back- I think I've got about 8K on the bike.


""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hosedragger
22 hours ago, cornerslider said:

I have the same exhaust, and had the same thing happen... It does go away after a few hundred miles. While I wasn't too happy about having stains on my new $1000 exhaust system. I figured it was probably some sort of anti-corrossive treatment for shipping or something? I cleaned it up with a combination of brake cleaner, and rubbing alcohol. Cleaned up like it never happened 😎

I cleaned it up with a magic eraser in seconds, don't feel i should have to though, and I can feel air  escaping all the way around the can so back it goes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cornerslider
21 minutes ago, Hosedragger said:

I cleaned it up with a magic eraser in seconds, don't feel i should have to though, and I can feel air  escaping all the way around the can so back it goes

Most aftermarket exhaust systems have slight leaks around the rivets. The hole that the rivet goes through, goes all the way through the outer shell. I have repacked many exhaust systems, and that's how most of them are. Obviously, I don't know how bad yours is, but some leakage is normal. I'm not down playing your situation. I'm trying to help. I know long term, your gonna LOVE the Akrapovic Ti!!!!


""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hosedragger
18 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

Most aftermarket exhaust systems have slight leaks around the rivets. The hole that the rivet goes through, goes all the way through the outer shell. I have repacked many exhaust systems, and that's how most of them are. Obviously, I don't know how bad yours is, but some leakage is normal. I'm not down playing your situation. I'm trying to help. I know long term, your gonna LOVE the Akrapovic Ti!!!!

I didn't think you were down playing it all. I figured there was going to be some leakage but it is really bad.  I do love the exhaust though, the sound, the look it is a thing of beauty for sure. Thanks for the feedback too 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fzar

Out of curiosity could you tell me where you got it? Was it eBay,Amazon, or directly from a distributor? @Hosedragger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shinyribs
On 10/14/2019 at 5:11 PM, norcal616 said:

Did a bit of water get inside? I can see how water will cause the brown rust color stain from the mild steel(?) parts inside the muffler...

Definitely looks like rusty being pushed out. Aren't these pipes supposed to be Ti? Do they have mild steel guts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
norcal616
18 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Definitely looks like rusty being pushed out. Aren't these pipes supposed to be Ti? Do they have mild steel guts?

The pipes and exhaust can body may be Ti but not the inside parts... Even my Graves exhaust has mild steel mesh inside... The rusty water stain is mainly from getting water inside the baffle when washing or from condensed water from short rides( exhaust can/packing does not get hot enough to boil off water)... The stock exhaust can had a like a 1mm drain hole on the bottom to let water out...

  • Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shinyribs

That's a bummer. Pay a premium and the guts aren't rust proof. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer

We shouldn't forget that most of the reviews on the Akra Ti have been good. You can get a few bad apples with anything you buy.

  • Like 1

Beemer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hosedragger
10 hours ago, fzar said:

Out of curiosity could you tell me where you got it? Was it eBay,Amazon, or directly from a distributor? @Hosedragger

RevZilla 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CarGuy7a

The only thing titanium on the akra ti system is the outer wrap for the muffler. The headers are stainless steel and possibly the innerds of the muffler as well. The brown stuff is most likely the oily lubricant they either use for assembly or from forming the parts. My exhaust also did the same. I just kept it clean to keep from staining and it eventually stopped. I have around 2k miles on my exhaust.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cornerslider
7 hours ago, CarGuy7a said:

The only thing titanium on the akra ti system is the outer wrap for the muffler. The headers are stainless steel and possibly the innerds of the muffler as well. The brown stuff is most likely the oily lubricant they either use for assembly or from forming the parts. My exhaust also did the same. I just kept it clean to keep from staining and it eventually stopped. I have around 2k miles on my exhaust.

THIS ^^^^ What Car Guy7A said, is the most accurate explanation.

 

  • Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer
6 hours ago, cornerslider said:

THIS ^^^^ What Car Guy7A said, is the most accurate explanation.

 

Agreed, and I should say my stock exhaust did the same thing. It also went away within a short time.

  • Like 1

Beemer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hosedragger

you guys all rock!!! thanks for the replies they've been a huge help in trying to figure this out. glad I found this forum for sure!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.