The MT-07 Forum

Seriously considering a "lateral" move, talk me into/out of it

Bigturbomax

21 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Mirror extenders repainted and back on. Got the extensions for my sw motech kobra handguards. Also took my bar risers OFF. Found it shifted my weight back too much, made the seat feel harder and reduced weight on the front end(i like the handling better with some more weight on the front). Side bonus my windscreen is now the PERFECT height with my bars back at stock height. 

Biggest improvement so far tho, i installed the national cycle v stream wind screen in sport touring height. I need to write a review on this thing. This screen is EXCELLENT!

20191020_130010.jpg

Where did you buy it ? I cant find one for the FZ07

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I raced a ER6N Kawaka a few years ago. Same motor with more power a bit less torque. The bike was good but very heavy. The Versys is even heavier ( but has a better chassis for touring). That was before the 07 came out.

The 07 is a superior motorcycle is every way bar one you mentioned...Fuel tank size. Note: The Kawaka has a much bigger tank but has much worse fuel consumption, so the range difference isn't as big as you might  think.

Even with the princess tiny tank of the 07, I would take the 07 any day.

I can say conclusively that even with both bikes properly suspended ( Kawaka: Yacugar rear shock, gold valve and better springs, lightened fork legs and 07 Pattonme's fork internals and Nitron rear shock) , the 07 is a vastly superior fun bike to ride and less tiring.

Seat Concepts make a seat pad and cover replacement for the 07 which I love , BUT not everyone on this forum has the same opinion. If you can get a ride on one try it.

er6sale (6).JPG

• Like 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I thought about trading my 07 in for a Versys a while back. If I had never owned the 07 I would have been fairly content with the Versys as a practical highway machine, but there is zero fun/sporty/spunky character about it at all.  The engine is slightly buzzy and down on torque compared to the 07. There's no extra top end with the Versys, so the bike just feels flat everywhere in comparison. No effortless powerwheelies like the 07. Versys will wheelie, but you gonna earn it. 

Lean in isn't smooth and neutral like the 07. It feels top heavy and tends to dip in hard during low speed stuff. You have to focus to balance the bike. It's not horrible ,just not as effortless and easy to ride.  At speed it feels fine.

Stock windshield won;t go high enough for at 6'2", so that's not really a plus. LOTS of head buffeting above 45mph. But I don't like windshields ( I have learned) and much prefer the clean air of my naked bikes. JMO.

Not sure I would've really liked the side loading luggage, so I ranout of Pros and saw a lot of Cons. 

Ergos is comfy, but seat foam is too soft.  Luggage and windshield didn't impress me, neither did the chassis or engine, so I just settled on a Corbin seat and have been very happy since. 

If I coud afford two bikes, though, I'd grab that Versys in a second. 

I've said this before. If they Tracer 700 would just come to the States it would murder Kawi. Like gregjet said, the 07 is just better in every way. 

shineyribs, One place the two are equal (ish). They both have atrocious suspension. The FR/R balance on the Kwaka is a bit better as well, but it doesn't make up for the responsiveness of the 07.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Not to get off topic but the National Cycle windscreen is incredible. Baught mine the first winter of having the bike. Throw it on soon as temps drop below 50.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Quick updates since its been a few months. Decided i actually hate shop management and left that new job. Plus the owner i had to deal with was a dirt bag so im glad i got out. So im going back to being a full time wrench. My new gig will be a half hour ride so ill still be riding plenty. 

But on to the part yall actually care about lol.....still really enjoying the taller windscreen. The extensions on my kobra hand guards help, not amazing but decent upgrade. Besides when you already dropped 140 on handguards whats another 30 bucks haha! I did buy a 5/8 gel pad and modded my seat. Found it too soft for my particular bottom. Added a 3/8 yoga matt on top to firm things back up a bit. Id say ots now 15% more comfortable??? Im still not happy with the dang seat. Once i get my income re-stabilized at the new job i wanna buy the yamaha comfort seat and be done with it. I wish i hadnt cheaped out. I was nervous about going the gel pad route. Oh well, now i know for future bikes that gel pads dont really work for me. 

Side bar, my yamaha grips pooped in winter of 2018. In december i order the bike master heated grips with backlit controls. So far i like them way better than the OE. Better temp control, noticeably hotter, more rubberized grip. Pretty happy with those. Hopefully they last longer than the yamaha ones did. 

• Like 1