The MT-07 Forum

Seriously considering a "lateral" move, talk me into/out of it

Bigturbomax

So.....i bought my 07 new september of 2017. Have enjoyed and still really enjoy the bike(almost 13k miles now?). I love the torque and flickability. BUT....i just changed jobs, moreover a career path change so i believe this is long term. Anyway, i now have a 45 mile one way commute down a high speed rural highway. I take the bike 2 or 3 times a week. Im getting annoyed with; plank seat, tiny fuel tank and lack of wind protection cruising in the low 80s mph. My local dealer just got in a very clean trade 2018 versys 650 LT in sparkle white with green accents. My bike is half paid for, id have 300 buck positve equity on a trade in. The versys is 7500 OTD with only 5k miles. Its the LT version with factory hard bags and hand guards. Im looking at that sculpted seat, half fairing and 5.5 gallon fuel tank. ALL pros. Also those hard bags are huge, can fit a full face helmet in one. Cons on the other hand, its not a tracer 900 gt(cuz i cant afford one right now), a few ponies less and a LOT heavier, id be going right back to the moto debt i had 2 years ago, and its a kwak. To be fair its one of the only kwaks i dont think is ugly. This particular versys has the kawasawki LED driving lights and an akropovic full exhaust installed. It just seems like a much more practical weapon for the riding im doing these days. 

What say ye??

Upgrade my 07 a bit more for comfort and buy a tracer in 2 years?

Or

Make a somewhat sideways move into a more practical middle weight?

Edited by Bigturbomax

Dammit yamaha, give us the tracer 700 gt already. Id put a throttle lock on it and call it done. 

Edit, i should have specified that i meant to bring it to the USA

Edited by Bigturbomax
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Yamaha has the Tracer 700 already but no Tracer 700 GT (probably not a huge market)

I have both a FJ-09 and the HP-07(Hordpower -07)

Yes my FJ-09 is practically a Tracer900 GT(no side bags)but used FJ-09 ( pre-2018?) Usually are already built up into a GT... The new GT are not that much more better- only missing out on a fancy color display ( too many colors to pay attention to in my book) and factory Cruise Control... Aftermarket electronic cruise control are available... The $ saved buying an old(new stock) or used FJ-09 vs a brand new GT is a decent amount of $ to build the bike to your needs... 

• Like 2

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

My $0.02 worth....

Get a new seat, or tweak yours with new foam. At this point, I would expect you could find an used aftermarket seat pretty cheap on ebay.

I don't have a clue what you have done on your bike so far, but here's what I did on my bike which will make yours way more commuter friendly:

Dart Manta windscreen

Barkbuster Storm hand guards

Yamaha/SW Motech saddlebags

Kriega US-30 Drybag (expensive option)

Sonic Fork Springs/heavier oil

Mirror extenders

Blindspot mirrors

Osram Night Racer light bulb

Denali Soundbomb Mini Horn

I also have a Bitubo XZE11 shock, but that takes it into much more money. You could also probably get the luggage used which would knock down the cost. I wouldn't hesitate to do 90 miles a day on my FZ-07. The windscreen and hand guards make the wind very doable. The suspension changes make it way more comfortable and the stuff at the end is for safety. Fortunately I'm one of those freaks that actually like the stock seat.

Depending on what you found used, you could probably do all of the above (minus the shock and the Kreiga bag, but including the seat) for around $750.

Good luck, and ride safe!

IMG_1301.JPG

Edited by FZ07R WaNaB
  • Thanks 1

A Versys might give you good wind protection and good luggage but you aren't going to be happy with the h.p. and extra weight. It will be a slug in comparison to an FZ/MT-07, it won't have any "spirit", especially when loaded down. It also doesn't have any ABS. I would invest in some decent bags that can do the job for you (put a small fuel bottle in it), get a decent windscreen and beef up your existing seat. I've never known anyone to buy a bike they love just to turn around a short time later and trade it over irritations that are easily fixable. Maybe after a couple years of saving you can get the bike you really want instead of settling for 2nd best. GL with whatever you choose to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beemer

Well thats the thing. Ive done quite a bit over the last 2 years turning it into what i wanted. So far for touring type riding ive done

1" bar risers

Givi windscreen

SW motech kobra hand guards

SW motech saddle bags

Nelson Rigg 4L tail bag(w/rain gear)

Cortech super 2.0 tank bag

Front fork preload adusters

Thicker front fork oil

2018 rear shock

Front conspicuity lights

5k LED headlight

Rear conspicuity lights

Go cruise throttle lock

R3 pegs for better grip in rain

Also, general mods

Yoshimura CARB exhaust

FTecu flash

TST tail light

Tail tidy

Really I LOVE this bike. Its not horribly uncomfortably. Yall have already helped me see the answer here. I just need to improve my seat. Look for maybe a little better coverage windscreen and deal with the 3 gallon tank. I guess i was thinking a more purpose built bike might be more comfortable. 

20190930_151915.jpg

Just now, Beemer said:

A Versys might give you good wind protection and good luggage but you aren't going to be happy with the h.p. and extra weight. It will be a slug in comparison to an FZ/MT-07, it won't have any "spirit", especially when loaded down. It also doesn't have any ABS. I would invest in some decent bags that can do the job for you (put a small fuel bottle in it), get a decent windscreen and beef up your existing seat. I've never known anyone to buy a bike they love just to turn around a short time later and trade it over irritations that are easily fixable. Maybe after a couple years of saving you can get the bike you really want instead of settling for 2nd best. GL with whatever you choose to do.

I didnt really settle when buying the FZ07. Its a blast to ride and i knew i could do some mods to make it more flexible.  Youre right tho, if i got the versys i would be settling for 2nd best. Best to continue enjoying what i have and in a couple years i can prolly get a great deal on an FJ09 or tracer 900. 

• Like 1

I thought the 2018 seat was an improvement- but from only aa short ride. Maybe that is an option to investigate?

• Like 1

Just do it! 

1 minute ago, Bigturbomax said:

I didnt really settle when buying the FZ07. Its a blast to ride and i knew i could do some mods to make it more flexible.  Youre right tho, if i got the versys i would be settling for 2nd best. Best to continue enjoying what i have and in a couple years i can prolly get a great deal on an FJ09 or tracer 900. 

Good to hear. I'd like to see you on a Tracer 900 some day, smiling like a cat in a tuna factory.

• Like 1

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
28 minutes ago, Bigturbomax said:

Well thats the thing. Ive done quite a bit over the last 2 years turning it into what i wanted. So far for touring type riding ive done

1" bar risers

Givi windscreen

SW motech kobra hand guards

SW motech saddle bags

Nelson Rigg 4L tail bag(w/rain gear)

Cortech super 2.0 tank bag

Front fork preload adusters

Thicker front fork oil

2018 rear shock

Front conspicuity lights

5k LED headlight

Rear conspicuity lights

Go cruise throttle lock

R3 pegs for better grip in rain

Also, general mods

Yoshimura CARB exhaust

FTecu flash

TST tail light

Tail tidy

Really I LOVE this bike. Its not horribly uncomfortably. Yall have already helped me see the answer here. I just need to improve my seat. Look for maybe a little better coverage windscreen and deal with the 3 gallon tank. I guess i was thinking a more purpose built bike might be more comfortable. 

20190930_151915.jpg

Looks like you have a pretty decent set up already, besides we'd really miss you if you left the forum. 😉

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

22 hours ago, robbo10 said:

I thought the 2018 seat was an improvement- but from only aa short ride. Maybe that is an option to investigate?

Worth looking into. Ill investigate that. Thanks

22 hours ago, Beemer said:

Good to hear. I'd like to see you on a Tracer 900 some day, smiling like a cat in a tuna factory.

Thanks! I know id love it. Plus, gives me a good goal to aspire to :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigturbomax said:

Worth looking into. Ill investigate that. Thanks

2018+ seat won’t work on 14-17 bikes unless you change tank plastics FYI 

by all means , do NOT be changing bikes TWICE.....it's not financially reasonable......tough it out for now, and change

to what you REALLY want  as soon's you can reasonably do so...and the bargains are starting to appear this time of

year, so just maybe you could do better than you think....around here, (OryGun), the Tracers are discounted already.......

Tracer 900 GT for $11,999, and Tracer 900 for $8,999.....and someplaces they are cheaper so.... $7,499....

and who knows what a guy could do for a very slightly used one in the Spring !  .......

Edited by bugsinteeth
  • Like 1

I ordered the extensions for my SW Motech Kobra handguards. Also ordered the national cycle V stream sport touring screen. Cant wait to enjoy em when they come in. May have a givi screen for sale soon if it works as good as the reviews ive read lol.

Just to throw a wrench in the pot...

210.thumb.JPG.5a64ae6c3c9a75ea51ed7f42af099e8a.JPG

I had one of these ridiculous things for a couple years. Hated it so much I put 35,000 miles on it in 2 summers through 30 states. (and I owned several other bikes that got riden as well) So happens it's one of the few bikes I wish I'd have never got rid of, cept the fella in the pic offered me what I paid for it after 2 years riding. Damn.

Seriously tho it had good power, came with decent suspension, was SO comfortable, was a dream for solo sport touring, loved running 50-90 mph all day yet would pull 120 when needed. 

Meh.

Oh and a +250 mile range, yeah, sniff...

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

It sounds like you've done a good amount of work customizing the FZ to what you like already - so might as well just keep going!

I agree with the sentiment to hold off and get the bike you do want. I remember doing a 100 mile commute/day.

The gas stations do become your friends LOL

• Thanks 1

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

23 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

FWIW, my mirror extenders and blindspot mirror add-ons make riding so much easier. The extenders get the mirrors out far enough and the blindspot stick-ons only make it better.

https://www.amazon.com/YAMAHA-Mirror-Extender-Adapter-Yamaha/dp/B01KLOY6GI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Mirror Xtenders.JPG

Lol, i forgot to mention i have blind spot stick ons. I have mirror extenders too but took em off to repaint them (chinesium powder coat was discloloring) and never got around to it. Ill put em back on. Thanks for the reminder!

• Haha 2

Mirror extenders repainted and back on. Got the extensions for my sw motech kobra handguards. Also took my bar risers OFF. Found it shifted my weight back too much, made the seat feel harder and reduced weight on the front end(i like the handling better with some more weight on the front). Side bonus my windscreen is now the PERFECT height with my bars back at stock height. 

Biggest improvement so far tho, i installed the national cycle v stream wind screen in sport touring height. I need to write a review on this thing. This screen is EXCELLENT!

20191020_130010.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bigturbomax said:

So now i need a cheap way to make my seat more comfortable LMAO

Throw a piece of real sheepskin from a craft fair or Amazon on there. When I did more touring I'd throw a good piece of sheepskin over my seat, with little string ties on the edges to tie it on.  Doubled the length of time before mandatory butt stops. Let's air circulate you know where to keep you cooler and adds a little cushion to boot. For under $20 worth a try.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, robbo10 said:

Might be worth a search or two here. There have been discussions.

Yes, I've read quite a few threads on the subject and just haven't decided on what route to commit to. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
21 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Biggest improvement so far tho, i installed the national cycle v stream wind screen in sport touring height. I need to write a review on this thing. This screen is EXCELLENT!

Glad to hear this.  I've been considering this windscreen as an upgrade from my Puig screen, but wasn't sure that it would make enough of a difference to be worth it.  Hope to read your review soon.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/