The MT-07 Forum

Why haven't you done a trackday yet?

howworkclutch

• Global Moderator

Expense is my only limiting factor currently

I'm hoping to save up a bit and start going regularly

I've been to a track a few times, and highly recommend the YCRS courses if anyone is able to take em

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, cyow5 said:

Yeah, after the success of my most recent track day, I know what to look for now. The problem is that my wife is now super paranoid, and she is one of those types to write off something forever due to a single bad experience. She's fine with me having the bike and doing track days in the car, so that's pretty much where that's going to have to stay for a while. 

The track is safer than the streets.  But if you tell her that she might start thinking too much.  I no longer ride on the streets because my wife left me and my boys and I don't want anything to happen to me.  But, I feel safe on the track.  I ride with an air vest for any possible high sides.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

No tracks close by to ride. We came close to getting one built in my town. Financing fell through. Now a new high school is going up on the land.🙁

I've driven 12 hours to take a class at the track...VA to NH.  I've flown to Cali from VA to take a class...saved up for both...only did one a year those two years.. worth it. To me...

imherefortheride

I've been to many TDs, but yesterday was the first one in +5 years. Provider was Cali Trackdays and they charge $100! Free donuts and coffee in the morning, they gave away a couple free compression shirts to wear under leathers, and offer free leather rentals to those enrolled in the beginner group. I've been with organizations that charge +$160 and I was impressed that Cali TDs was miles cheaper but still high quality. Also, these FZs can fly! Plenty of grip with the Michelin Road 3s. If you have the opportunity, go ride the track. NOW! 😄 

IMG_20191007_135342475.jpg

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
20 minutes ago, imherefortheride said:

$100!

wow. i mean, wow.

some pals and i are tossing around the idea of a biker co-op. we're still figuring out how to setup the steering committee etc, but we'll get through it. our goal is to charge a low yearly membership fee and then broker cheap biking experiences... like track days, touring/rentals, tires, gear, parts. whatever a large buying group can get discounted. we already have a touring business open to working with us.
we also want to move toward eurpean-style trackdays (use transponders to determine skill and asign to groups based on laptimes) ... better riders don't have to muck around all day trying to get bumped into higher classes, and inconsistent riders don't accidentally get into advanced groups. 

we also want to start trackday lite- a ride-there and ride-home learning day. bring your armored textiles, grab a transponder, and have fun (after an hour of classroom instruction, of course). speeds limited to 65mph to keep things safe/sane.

the barriers to trackdays seem to be universal:
dont have tow vehicle or trailer.
don't have leathers.
way too expensive.
too little coaching or instruction.
dangerous.

all these problems are easily resolved once you get away from the for-profit model of trackday organization.  anyone who has been to a few knows that there are folks making a lot of money from trackdays. operating as a co-op means costs go down as more members join. more importantly, the more folks we can train on the track, the fewer friends we lose to accidents on the streets. 

• Like 1

-HowWorkClutch

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, howworkclutch said:

wow. i mean, wow.

some pals and i are tossing around the idea of a biker co-op. we're still figuring out how to setup the steering committee etc, but we'll get through it. our goal is to charge a low yearly membership fee and then broker cheap biking experiences... like track days, touring/rentals, tires, gear, parts. whatever a large buying group can get discounted. we already have a touring business open to working with us.
we also want to move toward eurpean-style trackdays (use transponders to determine skill and asign to groups based on laptimes) ... better riders don't have to muck around all day trying to get bumped into higher classes, and inconsistent riders don't accidentally get into advanced groups. 

we also want to start trackday lite- a ride-there and ride-home learning day. bring your armored textiles, grab a transponder, and have fun (after an hour of classroom instruction, of course). speeds limited to 65mph to keep things safe/sane.

don't have leathers.
way too expensive.
dangerous.

all these problems are easily resolved once you get away from the for-profit model of trackday organization.  anyone who has been to a few knows that there are folks making a lot of money from trackdays. operating as a co-op means costs go down as more members join. more importantly, the more folks we can train on the track, the fewer friends we lose to accidents on the streets. 

You get that up and running, I'd be down

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

6 hours ago, howworkclutch said:

don't have leathers.
way too expensive.
dangerous.

You nailed it. An affordable way to take advantage of the track experience would be great