The MT-07 Forum

Something's wrong 😒

beleticivan

So everything started when i kindly layed my bike on the floor ona roundabout 😅 the next day i go to check the deamage done and see a few scratches onthe intake fairing (the sliders saved most of the bike even if they wore out and had to change them). But when i hop on my bike to go to work i notice the bars seem kinda off i tried turning them back in place and it looked at first it kinda helped. Skip a month and i decide to get new bars went with the protaper carmichel bars mounted them today and it looked good, and again i sit on the bike drive it a litle and notice im having the same issue again but its not that bad. I cant see and pinpoint where the problem is coming from, but wanna fix it.

Ill post some pics tommorow as soon as i get a chance

Just now, beleticivan said:

So everything started when i kindly layed my bike on the floor ona roundabout 😅 the next day i go to check the deamage done and see a few scratches onthe intake fairing (the sliders saved most of the bike even if they wore out and had to change them). But when i hop on my bike to go to work i notice the bars seem kinda off i tried turning them back in place and it looked at first it kinda helped. Skip a month and i decide to get new bars went with the protaper carmichel bars mounted them today and it looked good, and again i sit on the bike drive it a litle and notice im having the same issue again but its not that bad. I cant see and pinpoint where the problem is coming from, but wanna fix it.

Ill post some pics tommorow as soon as i get a chance

Of course something could be a little bent but I would give this a try first.

Put the side of the front wheel against the edge of an open garage door or some similar solid object and give the bars a solid little yank in the opposite direction of the mis-alignment.  Same thing dad did when we crashed our bikes as kids, works on motorcycles too.

If that doesn't do it the process gets a little more involved but still isn't too bad to check for damage. 

Good luck.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I agree with mossrider on a: Try this first. I really works like how we used to do it on pushbikes, it just takes a little more force sometimes. I'm not saying go all out and start whaling on it. If you have a rear stand, put it on it and put the bars in what you think is straight position, go 10 feet behind the ass of the bike and sight it from the centre of the back tyre up through the back of the bike, through the dash. I first noticed that the centre of my 2 dash buttons were not lining up with the centre of the tank cap, but I was going straight. I then proceeded to a closed parking lot and got up to 30 mph and let go of the bars. Sure enough the front handle bar was crabbing (off-set from alignment.)I loosened a few bolts on the triples and gave the above procedure a go, low and behold it was as good as new. I'm not suggesting you let go of the bars at anytime, I was in a parking lot and I'm comfortable letting go of the bars after many years on different forms of 2 wheels. Throw up some pic's!

Had you got used to them being off? And now they (if) they are correct, still seeem wrong?

Just do it! 

Bent handle bar mount??  Shouldn't be because its rubber mounted to triple clamp, but who knows? 

Does its drive straight?

On 10/4/2019 at 11:27 AM, robbo10 said:

Had you got used to them being off? And now they (if) they are correct, still seeem wrong?

Yeah i kinda got used to it but i can see something isnt right.

16 hours ago, geophb said:

Bent handle bar mount??  Shouldn't be because its rubber mounted to triple clamp, but who knows?

Does its drive straight?

Im thinking the same thing it drives straight but it feels like im lightly countersteering so idk. 

If you know another biker ask them to check it out and see if your imagination or not. If it isn't maybe they can tell you what the problem is.

Beemer

If you lock the wheels into alignment with say timber, you could measure the distance from bar ends to a common point at the rear to test it. Then if it needs to move do as my mechanic did: I sat on the bike while he stood either side of the front wheel and knocked them straight.

Just do it! 

As stated. get a couple of 2" x 4" x 6' planks of wood, put the bike on a paddock stand, lay each plank on the ground, One each side of the rear tyre and adjust them so the planks touch the rear tyre both behind the rear wheel axle and in front of the rear wheel axle (I use a couple of large clamps to lightly hold them against the tyre). Both planks should now be parallel and the front wheel should be sitting in between them. If the front wheel isn't in the exact middle of the two planks, then you can use the rear chain adjusters to align the rear wheel so that the front wheel and rear wheel are in the correct alignement (measure the space between the front wheel and each plank) to make sure the front wheel is centered between the planks. You now know the wheels are in line and poitning straight ahead, now you can look at the handlebars and see if they point straight ahead or off to one side. If they point to one side, then stand in front of the motorcycle, grip the front wheel between your legs, and with your hands, pull on the handlebars to twist them in the opposite direction to recenter them. Then recheck the front wheel is centered between the planks and again check the bars. Sometimes you need to loosen the fork clamp bolts on the lower yoke to allow things to twist back. keep repeating this process until everything is straight, then tighten any bolt that you lossened. Remove the planks and go for a test ride. As it sounds like you just slid on the road and didn't hit anything, there should be no damage to the frame or forks, so this process should work just fine.

Gary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1