The MT-07 Forum

New MT-03

robbo10

Update:

Mileage passed 4,000 yesterday and it was time for a new rear tire. Since the front is still in good condition, I went with the same spec. rear tire: A Dunlop GPR-300 in size 140/70R17.

After the initial easy ride on the new tire, I changed the engine oi and oil filter while the engine was warm, using an OEM oil filter (as I always do) and Yamalube AP 10/40 oil. The shifting and clutching feels as smooth as silk,

As always, the MT-03 continues to thrill with a great handling feel and great power characteristics. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Well, in one of my other topics I mentioned my garage only has space for 3 bikes.  The last few months, my wife and I both lamented how much we greatly miss her R3.  But she also mentioned how much she never liked slow speed maneuvering on it.  So not too long after we both got our new bikes, I went searching for a MT03.

So... months and months of searching locally 2 misses where they supposedly had it then I called the dealership to be disappointed, finally ONE sprung up and stayed up from a dealership and I instantly put a deposit down.

I spent a good whole day re-organizing our garage, and unfortunately, we have to get rid of one exercising equipment because alas, owning more motorcycles is much, much more important than health.  Here is what 4 motorcycles look like crammed close together.  Maintenance will be slightly harder, now I have to pull out the car and move a bike to the empty bay!  OH NO!!!

crd.thumb.jpg.982749f9de43cbb1e329a9424071ecb5.jpg

Anyway, rode her home today.  It's like an old friend I greatly missed these past 5 months.  But I admit, after riding the MV Agusta those last 5 months, I almost forgot how much gear changing is involved on 300cc bikes  just to reach 45 mph.

By the way guys, any of you buy a brand new sub 650cc motorcycle these days?  There is hardly any stock out there!  And this is WA state for freak sake, its not like people are riding all year long.  The higher end bikes (11k+) are ok, but the lower priced bikes are all gobbled up.  The only bike they have at Tacoma Motorsports is an MT09 and several ADV bikes.  The manager told me they have a whole bunch of bikes on order but he literally has no clue whenever they come in.  The MT03 I snagged was ordered a few months ago.  shet is crazy.

Also one last note.  Don't be fooled by the headlight, it is bright as f@#k.  But going to have to do a night ride to see how it truly is.

I honestly believe right now I have a nice range of modern naked bikes.  Now I just need to get my custom home built which a super garage so I can buy 6 more bikes. 

Edited by SkH

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

All the bikes and much else is stacked up in ships lying off the coast of US, Europe and UK.  They are waiting for docking slots. We in the UK also have a big shortage of lorry drivers, so no point in docking,  you might say. 'Just in time' failure.

Edited by robbo10

Just do it! 

• 5 months later...

I'm a few weeks later than usual, but I got my MT-03 back out on the road for the 2022 riding season this past Saturday afternoon.

As usual, the bike felt good in short order, and I had a good ride after the winter layover.

After yesterday's ride, I changed the engine oil and oil filter using the same stuff: Yamalube AP 10/40 and an OEM oil filter.

Milage is now at 5,100 and the bike is doing and feeling fine, as usual, just in time for my favorite time of the year - April, May, and June.

• 9 months later...
On 3/28/2020 at 8:24 AM, klx678 said:

Is there a chance that the MT 03 rear wheel might fit the MT 07/XSR700?    I would like to fit a narrower rear tire, 140 or 160 flat track tread,  on my XSR and it was a thought.   Or any suggestion of a similar rear wheel in the width to suit the 140-160 wide tire that has been fitted on a Yamaha that may fit.  Just thinking at the moment.  

On 3/28/2020 at 1:44 PM, cornerslider said:

Not likely.... The axle is a smaller diameter on the MT-03.

I know it’s a 3 years old topic but I want to add that someone dedicated to this swap could investigate and find that using wheel bearings with MT03 OD and FZ07 ID  could allow a MT03 rear wheel to fit over FZ07 wheel axle. Maybe MT03 wheel hub is narrower but this is something spacers would surely solve.

This is a good question as I myself am wondering why Yamaha use a 180 rear tire. From my believings, a 140 or 160, would improve the handling. I just got my FZ07 and it have brand new (600 km) tires but I could try to explore this topic deeper.

Edited by Claude

I was one of those who would like to drop a couple sizes down to the 140-160 range.  I'm running a 170 now, because it will fit the rim.  This renewal of the thread got me wondering how much it would cost to narrow an MT/FZ/XSR rear rim.  So I'm trying to get some quotes.   A new rim is around $350 or so, I have to believe there are some rear rims "rolling around" out there for far less that could be narrowed.   

Two reasons drive my preference, the rotating unsprung mass of the fat tire, handling effect of the fat tire, and the cost difference.  I figure the narrower tire will wear out about the same size area in the center of the tread as a wider one would.  Right now the difference in cost/tire is around $20 for a 160 vs a 180 in the Bridgestone Adventurecross AX41S scrambler tread.  Looking at Michelin Road 5, price difference from 160 to 180 is around $20, but a 150 to a 180 is $30.   Then the other question is how much that change in rear tire would make in handling.

I kind of use the same logic on my 250 dual sport, running a 4.10-18 versus a 120/80-18, price difference of around $15-20 and the first tire lasted as good as the 130/80-17 on my 650 dual sport, around 4000 miles to the point where traction in dirt and gravel tells me the tread is too shallow.

Edited by klx678

9 hours ago, klx678 said:

I was one of those who would like to drop a couple sizes down to the 140-160 range.  I'm running a 170 now, because it will fit the rim.  This renewal of the thread got me wondering how much it would cost to narrow an MT/FZ/XSR rear rim.  So I'm trying to get some quotes.   A new rim is around $350 or so, I have to believe there are some rear rims "rolling around" out there for far less that could be narrowed.   

Two reasons drive my preference, the rotating unsprung mass of the fat tire, handling effect of the fat tire, and the cost difference.  I figure the narrower tire will wear out about the same size area in the center of the tread as a wider one would.  Right now the difference in cost/tire is around $20 for a 160 vs a 180 in the Bridgestone Adventurecross AX41S scrambler tread.  Looking at Michelin Road 5, price difference from 160 to 180 is around $20, but a 150 to a 180 is $30.   Then the other question is how much that change in rear tire would make in handling.

I kind of use the same logic on my 250 dual sport, running a 4.10-18 versus a 120/80-18, price difference of around $15-20 and the first tire lasted as good as the 130/80-17 on my 650 dual sport, around 4000 miles to the point where traction in dirt and gravel tells me the tread is too shallow.

How does the 170 feel on your FZ? Not sure if the FZ's 5½ in. wide rim gives any benefit to a 170 as it is the max width a 170 can be fitted on (ie; would better fit on a 5.0 in. rim).

MT03 rear rim is 4½ in. wide which is more for a 140 or 150 tire which I think is quite small on a 700. I believe a 160 or maybe 170 would be more appropriate on a FZ07 and the ideal rim width for those sizes would be 5.0 in.

Any idea about a 5.0 in, wide rear rim that would fit on a FZ07? In lack of such a rim, I would probably do like you did and fit a 170 when my current tire will be worn out.

@ClaudeI have an XSR, I come here because there is more information about the basic bike, chassis etc.   I prefer the riding position and what I want to do with the bike. 

I did a 170 because it is lighter and less expensive.  The one step down in size on the rear really wasn't noticeable in my street riding, now if it was done on the front that'd be a different story, where even a one step drop in profile makes a profound difference.  And if I was a highly skilled track rider/racer I might feel a difference, but I'm not.

When it comes to rim size, the tire was listed for a 5.00 wheel as well as the 5.50 by Bridgestone (AX41S).  If anything the profile would slightly flatted, which might put a tiny bit more center rubber on the ground and wear ever so slightly slower.  I do stay within recommended rim widths.

I want a 160, 150, or 140 because that makes sense for a 68 hp street bike.  Probably would work fine for track days, but I doubt I'll ever do a track day.   If a 2019 Indian FTR1200 can get away with a 150 rear tire with its 120 hp I'd think one would be plenty adequate on the Yamaha with its raging 68 hp.  Realize that for years the R1 ran a 180, as have a lot of sport bikes far more powerful than the 700.  Odds are pretty good that a 150 would be fine on street use.  Racing and serious track days are a different story, when pushing tires will heat up and hold heat.  I really doubt my application of my skills, whatever level they may be, would exceed the capabilities of even a 130 in my street use.

Then there is the "Bike Exif" and chopper syndrome where the bikes look like they're ready to roll asphalt instead of roll on asphalt.  I guess I'm just not a "fat tire" kind of rider.  I prefer the light look of a dirt tracker to that of a muscle bike, the look of an MX bike to that of an oversized rear tire dual sport.  It's avoiding overkill in looks as well as performance.  Of course I could use the bike to roll new asphalt on my drive...  

As for how to get the right size rim, I'm coming to a bit of a conclusion that it would make sense to keep an eye out for an FZ/MT/XSR rear rim and have it narrowed by maybe 3/4 an inch to end up with a 4.75 width, hedging between the 5.00 and 4.50.  But right now it's just a consideration.  Not much seriousness to it, I still have a relatively new 170 tire to wear out first and that could take a year or two.

Edited by klx678
  • Like 1